VeggieBoards banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Beanitarian
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are you guys having for Easter (so I can be jealous)?

I'm not able to cook this time and I don't really feel like going out to a buffet full of meat.

I was on a mission to try one of the Celebration Roasts, but no store seems to carry them. I have called around quite a bit, and double checked in person.

Does Trader Joe's carry their vegetarian roasts at this time of year, and are they good?

·
Vegan since 1991
3,660 Posts
If you have a Seventh Day Adventist church near you, they may be serving a vegetarian/vegan meal on Easter.

·
No flesh since 99'
959 Posts
That's odd. All the "health food" type stores where I am have the vegan roasts year round. I hope you find one where you live! I don't shop at Trader Joe's, but they'd be a likely candidate IMO. So would a Whole Foods. Even if you can't fond a roast, perhaps just look for something you like but maybe don't normally get that would still be special:)

I'm doing these Gardein "pork bite" things (for hubbies sake, I've never had them and might actually try a few), a green bean casserole and mashed sweet potatoes. Even when there will be faux meat, I still prefer just side dishes at holidays from so many years of conditioning lol:D I also found some vegan marshmallows and am doing a carob chip rice crispy treats.

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
My Mom is gluten free, so I plan for a gluten free vegan meal. I am making a pizza with a gluten free crust, daiya shreds, tomato past/sauce, and roasted veggies on top. I'm not sure what my Mom and sister are making. I might bring along some vegan icecream too.

·
The prowling wolf
878 Posts
Am having some traditional stollen (bread filled with raisins and almond paste) and am cooking a dish with new potatoes and spring vegetables fitting the season.

Keeping it simple because I am single and my family doesn't celebrate easter :)

·
Bean Queen
103 Posts
I found a ham-flavoured stock that's vegan. I'm going to marinate some tofu in a mix of the bullion, garlic, a drop or two of liquid smoke, vegan Worcestershire, and some sort of sweetener (maybe pineapple juice or brown sugar). Then I'm going to slowly let it roast in the marinade. It's an experiment, I'm hoping for it to come out like a smoked ham. :p

Along with it, I'll probably have all of the other things my southern grandmother used to make. Black-eyed pea soup, mashed potatoes, and sweet potato casserole (if I can find vegan marshmallows), and of course diner rolls. =)

·
Super Moderator
8,959 Posts
I want to make this again- I've made three times at holidays and it's delicious!

https://caribbeanvegan.wordpress.com/2010/12/17/holiday-ham-recipe-from-caribbean-vegan/

Never used Angostura bitters, but everything else. This is one seitan recipe worth both steaming and baking. I usually do one or the other. I don't knead, just be sure to mix well.

I actually have a couple vegan "ham" seasoning from the 15 bean soup mix I forget to use.
Just smokey salt really

·
Not such a Beginner ;)
8,394 Posts
I found a ham-flavoured stock that's vegan. I'm going to marinate some tofu in a mix of the bullion, garlic, a drop or two of liquid smoke, vegan Worcestershire, and some sort of sweetener (maybe pineapple juice or brown sugar). Then I'm going to slowly let it roast in the marinade. It's an experiment, I'm hoping for it to come out like a smoked ham.
Along with it, I'll probably have all of the other things my southern grandmother used to make. Black-eyed pea soup, mashed potatoes, and sweet potato casserole (if I can find vegan marshmallows), and of course diner rolls. =)
Oh yummmmmmy

·
Beanitarian
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I need to give up on the idea of a roast. Man, I just wanted to put something in the oven and be done. Trader Joe's had nothing, neither did this Super Target that has a shocking selection of faux meats, Sprouts, or Safeway.

I'm thinking of stuffing a Gardein chik'n breast with something, and I'll see if I can buy a ready made side dish.

Reactions: David3

·
Registered
127 Posts
Butternut squash casserole, mashed tatters, turnips, buns, quiche, Brussel sprouts pie and chocolate cheesecake.

And they say overindulgence is harder as a vegetarian...

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
Here is the pizza I made for Easter. I made a totally gluten free soy free vegan pizza. Toppings were olives, fresh basil leaves, green peppers, fresh mushroom, and Daiya shreds (both mozzarella and cheddar style). The crust was made with aquafaba (chickpea water from can of chickpeas), yeast, white rice flour, almond flour, tapioca and potato starch, and sorghum flour. This was by far the best gluten free vegan dough I have handled and it held together beautifully, enough to even knead the dough and it remained pliable. Aquafaba is pure magic.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
Here is the pizza I made for Easter. I made a totally gluten free soy free vegan pizza. Toppings were olives, fresh basil leaves, green peppers, fresh mushroom, and Daiya shreds (both mozzarella and cheddar style). The crust was made with aquafaba (chickpea water from can of chickpeas), yeast, white rice flour, almond flour, tapioca and potato starch, and sorghum flour. This was by far the best gluten free vegan dough I have handled and it held together beautifully, enough to even knead the dough and it remained pliable. Aquafaba is pure magic.

Holy, holy, holy...that is amazing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts