VeggieBoards banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi<br><br>
Every year my kids have to do an Easter school project and each year is given a particular thing to make, like an easter tree, and they have to design it themselves and all of them get judged and the winner gets a prize. Not entering is not an option. The problem I have with this is that you have to use eggs - I have asked my kids to use pretend eggs, polystryene eggs, make their own eggs etc but they have to do what their teachers tell them. my daugter has to make an egg display - like putting eggs on the stage, and my son has to make an egg tree. Next year my daughter will have to make an egg shell mosaic - like I said using eggs is not optional. What do I do - I haven't bought any eggs in ages, though my omni husband keeps going on about wanting an omlette. My kids are mostly vegetarian (son still eats meat outside of home, and occassionally they have fish fingers at grandmas!) so they still eat eggs in food such as veggie burgers, they aren't vegan - but I am trying to be. What bothers me is that using eggs just for a silly competition is just not right. Does anyone understand my dilemma? Am I just being soft? What alternatives could I suggest?<br><br><br><br>
thanks for any replies - sorry its abit of a ramble!<br><br><br><br>
ta, pp

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
First of all, I'd ask the kids how THEY feel about using real eggs/shells for their projects.<br><br>
If they DID NOT object, l'd let them buy the eggs. If they need help like "emptying" the eggs (how do you say that in English) without breaking them, maybe ask the grandma or someone who is not vegan to help (and use up the egg whites/yolk for omelettes/cakes or whatever).<br><br>
If the kids DID object to using real eggs, I'd make it clear to the teacher (or rather together with the kids) that they're not going to use real eggs but will find an alternative (there are alternatives at every arts/crafts material shop). No one should be allowed to force a student to use items they're objected to as material in a project, esp. not if it's food items.<br><br>
When I was a student (long ago though), something similar happened. One art teacher wanted my class to make "salt dough" (not sure if this is known in the US) things. Several kids objected because it seemed like a waste of food, and we actually never had to make the salt dough stuff.<br><br>
However, if the kids don't object to using real eggs, I'd let them have their way, even though I personally would not want to use real eggs myself.<br><br>
As school children, I'd think they're old enough to have their own opinion on it and make their own decision.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts