VeggieBoards banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoooo boy! I had to bite my tongue so much today I went on about a 20 minute rant on the way home from my bf's grandparents' house today. Fortunately for me, my bf was quite tolerant of the whole thing and let me gripe. He knew I was behaving very well.

We drove an hour plus out to my BF's grandparents' house today for Easter + Grandpa's 80th bday. This was the first time meeting the grandparents, as well as his aunt, uncle, and 2 cousins (aged 4 and 12). I was forewarned by my bf's Mom that there would be nothing for me to eat (not in a mean way), and so I said I'd bring something. I made an entire easter basket full of cookies and treats, and made a vegetable rice pilaf with all kinds of veggies in it and brown rice and almonds. Thank goodness! Quite literally the only meat/dairy free item on the table were the dinner rolls... and they were white and a little stale. (especially to eat dry!) The only vegetable was some sort of broccoli casserole prepared with cream of something soup and frozen broccoli. The copious amounts of omni foods consumed weren't even the worst part! Having to listen to my bf's uncle (married in, NOT bio!) all night was AWFUL! All he talks about is hunting and fishing and guns. I had to listen to conversation about Elk hunting over dinner, and distributing materials about a hunting class to middle school students. ACK!

As if that wasn't enough, after dinner his older daughter said she wanted to adopt a yellow lab puppy from the ASPCA, and he went on about how it would already be "spayded" (I HATE it when people say that! The verb is TO SPAY!) and he wants to get a lab to breed with a mastiff to make lab/mastiff puppies like he had when he was a kid. IRRESPONSIBLE BACKYARD BREEDING!?!?! It's bad enough he's HUNTING AND FISHING! Leave the dogs out of it!!!

Also couldn't believe how they let their 4 y/o eat nothing but CRAP all day! She was downing chocolate up until dinner time, and they kept telling her she couldn't eat any more until we ate dinner, but then wouldn't stop her. For dinner she ate one dinner roll, then she was allowed to eat a piece of chocolate cake, and a cookie, then went back out to the living room to play and continued eating chocolate. Before we left she was asking for more cake (and was going to get it). I'm sure these people would say that it would be wrong to raise kids vegetarian as well. Their older kid refuses to eat any vegetables, except for 3, and only raw, and only if she has to. And I was at least mildly offended that no one in the aunt-uncle-cousins family tried any of the rice I made. My bf's parents and grandparents were all eating it and all complimented it. How rude :p

This just goes to show that you can withstand any horrific omni family event and live to tell the tale!

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Sorry you had such a rotten easter! Thankfully you don't have to spend much time with them if they're that far away. There are some real winners in my boyfriend's extended (and immediate) family too, so I can relate.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Congratulations on your patience! It sounds like your behaviour was impeccable. I sincerely hope you won't have to go through anything like that ever again.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

Hoooo boy! I had to bite my tongue so much today I went on about a 20 minute rant on the way home from my bf's grandparents' house today. Fortunately for me, my bf was quite tolerant of the whole thing and let me gripe. He knew I was behaving very well.

We drove an hour plus out to my BF's grandparents' house today for Easter + Grandpa's 80th bday. This was the first time meeting the grandparents, as well as his aunt, uncle, and 2 cousins (aged 4 and 12). I was forewarned by my bf's Mom that there would be nothing for me to eat (not in a mean way), and so I said I'd bring something. I made an entire easter basket full of cookies and treats, and made a vegetable rice pilaf with all kinds of veggies in it and brown rice and almonds. Thank goodness! Quite literally the only meat/dairy free item on the table were the dinner rolls... and they were white and a little stale. (especially to eat dry!) The only vegetable was some sort of broccoli casserole prepared with cream of something soup and frozen broccoli. The copious amounts of omni foods consumed weren't even the worst part! Having to listen to my bf's uncle (married in, NOT bio!) all night was AWFUL! All he talks about is hunting and fishing and guns. I had to listen to conversation about Elk hunting over dinner, and distributing materials about a hunting class to middle school students. ACK!

As if that wasn't enough, after dinner his older daughter said she wanted to adopt a yellow lab puppy from the ASPCA, and he went on about how it would already be "spayded" (I HATE it when people say that! The verb is TO SPAY!) and he wants to get a lab to breed with a mastiff to make lab/mastiff puppies like he had when he was a kid. IRRESPONSIBLE BACKYARD BREEDING!?!?! It's bad enough he's HUNTING AND FISHING! Leave the dogs out of it!!!

Also couldn't believe how they let their 4 y/o eat nothing but CRAP all day! She was downing chocolate up until dinner time, and they kept telling her she couldn't eat any more until we ate dinner, but then wouldn't stop her. For dinner she ate one dinner roll, then she was allowed to eat a piece of chocolate cake, and a cookie, then went back out to the living room to play and continued eating chocolate. Before we left she was asking for more cake (and was going to get it). I'm sure these people would say that it would be wrong to raise kids vegetarian as well. Their older kid refuses to eat any vegetables, except for 3, and only raw, and only if she has to. And I was at least mildly offended that no one in the aunt-uncle-cousins family tried any of the rice I made. My bf's parents and grandparents were all eating it and all complimented it. How rude :p

This just goes to show that you can withstand any horrific omni family event and live to tell the tale!
That annoys me to no end - when parents tell their children to stop doing something, yet sit around and do crap all to make them stop.

Sorry to hear about your horrible experience. I consider myself lucky, that my boyfriend's parents [and I met his grandmother today, she's so sweet] are supportive of my vegetarianism.

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
Ugh! I can so sympathize! Many, many dinners with family and "friends" have gone this way... you have my condolences! Good on you for biting your tongue! It's hard to do, but always the best choice.

Again, I SOOOO feel for you!

I *do* have to say though, that my kids have probably eaten VERY similar meals when with a huge group of grown-ups/family/etc... It's usually far simpler for everyone's sanity, to just let them eat crap (or whatever they wanted) on special once-a-year occassions than to police every bite going into their mouth. (Of course, I didn't make empty threats either - if they were going to eat crap, I just let them, no apologies). They quickly discovered for themselves that they did NOT like the cocktail weenies or salmon pate` and I didn't have to say a WORD! And the handfulls of cookies? Eh... I know they don't eat like that 364 days out of the year, regardless of how "bad" a parent I appear for that one day...

Yeah, don't throw rotton produce at me - my kids behave perfectly respectably now and usually even eat all their veggies!

·
Banned
4,482 Posts
Quote:

Hoooo boy!

Yuh survived to tell the tale and it reinforces the direction you have chosen with your life style

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Quote:

Quite literally the only meat/dairy free item on the table were the dinner rolls... and they were white and a little stale. (especially to eat dry!) The only vegetable was some sort of broccoli casserole prepared with cream of something soup and frozen broccoli. The copious amounts of omni foods consumed weren't even the worst part! Having to listen to my bf's uncle (married in, NOT bio!) all night was AWFUL! All he talks about is hunting and fishing and guns. I had to listen to conversation about Elk hunting over dinner, and distributing materials about a hunting class to middle school students. ACK!

This sounds like my MIL's funeral. The only thing we could eat was white sandwich bread (not even rolls!) and some old carrots they found in the back of the fridge. We didn't have the benefit of bringing our own food as we had just come off a 9 hour flight and then a 4 hour drive. And the plane had screwed up our meals--no vegan meals for us--so we has eaten the roll and the salad off the omni meal. We were STARVING. And all they did was eat meat and white bread (no veg at all!) and talk with their mouths full about hunting while we withered away. They kept saying how puny the vegan diet was making us and didn't we want some meat to fatten up. FINALLY after they cleared their food off the stove we were able to cook a vegan meal for ourselves (there was nothing vegan in the pantry that didn't need to be cooked)

It was the longest day of my life. And a sad way to remember my MIL. I feel your pain. Deeling with relatives (that are not even your relatives) can be really hard. I'm glad you've got a supportive boyfriend.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts