VeggieBoards banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried this before and I wasnt a fan, but that was ages ago and I want to try it again. I cant say I'll ever give up tofu, and I still like mock meats, but I read the following on this health dude's blog.

"Fermented foods ought to be part of everyones diet, vegetarian or not. Tempeh is one that is chewy and delicious, even to die-hard burger fans. Its healthy and a much better bet than heavily processed tofu or 'mock meats' that are brimming with poor-quality modified proteins, sodium, chemicals and starchy fillers."

So, if tempeh is a better source of protein and product all together, I should try it. What are some easy and tasty ways to prepare it? Or some pre-flavored tempeh brands I should try?

·
Registered
566 Posts
I saw a recipe on youtube once for a 'tuna' salad wrap that used tempeh. Can't remember the exact name, but I'm sure if you type in 'tempeh tuna' or something along those lines, it'll come up. It sounded tasty, but I haven't tried it, I only just discovered the one grocery stoe in my area that sells tempeh.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Tempeh bacon tastes too much like Friskies cat food to me...

Anyway, I highly recommend simmering the tempeh slices for about 10 minutes prior to cooking with them. Simmering them in a bit of water like this reduces some of the cat-foody flavor I can't stand, and it also makes it easier for it to absorb the flavors you're cooking into it.

My favorite way to prep tempeh is with this sauce:
brand: "House of Tsang" "BANGKOK PADANG" Peanut sauce... available in most US grocery stores in the Asian section.

To prep:
Slice your block of tempeh into bite sized chunks.
Drop these into boiling water, and simmer for 10 minutes.
Strain.
Coat tempeh with the sauce.
Bake/Broil/Toast in a toaster oven, or conventional oven, for about 15 minutes.
(place on tin foil for easy cleanup... the baked-on sauce is a pain to scrub off of dishes)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I make tempeh. This is the advice I have on the packages:
- can be eaten raw. Seems to be better raw in the first 2 days.
- deep fry or shallow fry. Peanut varieties are not recommended for frying.
- grill on a George Foreman type grill. If you've never had tempeh before this is not a bad way to go. Don't overgrill it: by the time you can see nice dark brown grill marks it is done. Line up some of your favourite sauces and try the tempeh with them, e.g. satay, sweet chilli, light soy, etc.
- barbecue. Can be done whole or in cubes on kebab sticks. Remember to cook both sides.
- steam. Again, either whole or cut up. Tempeh holds its texture well and can be sliced fairly thinly like cheese. Steam for about 10 minutes.
- roughly grate or crumble tempeh into casseroles or similar dishes.
- bake. Roll in your favourite herbs, add a squeeze of lime juice and wrap up in foil then bake for half an hour at at a moderate temperature.
- simmer in vegetable broth. 15 minutes will be long enough to cook the tempeh and for it to absorb plenty of flavour.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts