20,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
Earth's moon destined to disintegrate

As the sun grows older, the fate of our planet and its moon isn't pretty

\t

By David Powell

Updated: 11:12 a.m. PT Jan 22, 2007

The sun is midway through its stable hydrogen burning phase known as the main sequence. But when the sun enters the red giant phase in around 5 billion years things are going to get a lot rougher in the Earth-moon system.

During the red giant phase the sun will swell until its distended atmosphere reaches out to envelop the Earth and moon, which will both begin to be affected by gas drag the space through which they orbit will contain more molecules. The moon is now moving away from Earth and by then will be in an orbit that's about 40 percent larger than today. It will be the first to warp under the suns influence.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16755695/

Run for the hills!

It's like a Star Trek episode!

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
Goodnight light and the red balloon.

Oh wait...wrong thread.

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Quote:
During the red giant phase the sun will swell until its distended atmosphere reaches out to envelop the Earth and moon, which will both begin to be affected by gas drag the space through which they orbit will contain more molecules.
Gas drag. Hey, Beavis, she said gas drag. Huh huh huh huh huh. You're a real gas drag, Beavis. Huh huh huh huh huh.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
I did a report on Mars in elementary school. The only thing I remember is that the moon closest to the planet (there are two) is slowly breaking up and that someday Mars will have a ring (like Saturn, except not as cool) from the moon pieces.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentauros View Post

Will an Eagle 1 hold all of us? We certainly have to have the first season music going as our theme, though

Maybe we should call on International Rescue instead
O

M

G

kentauros you are the coolest person in the world

Ok, I'll see your 1st season music

and raise you one Maya

damn she was hawt

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.