VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody, I was just wondering if anyone could post me a link to the earthlings video. I often debate on different websites and a girl who I have been talking to about the video asked for the link. I was really happy to know that she is interested in vegetarianism the only problem is that I lost the link. I tried finding it on the internet but I couldn`t find it. So could someone please, please, please give me the link. Thank you very much.

·
Registered
34 Posts
You know, seeing this movie online made me turn vegan pretty much overnight. And I bought it from a local vegan shop to help during those times when I started to forget why I turn down all the foods I used to love.

But even though I have popped it into the DVD player a number of times, I can't seem to bring myself to watch it at any great length again. Sort of like the kid who says "ouch" before the doctor has even finished filling the needle. The first time hurt me so much, I don't know if I can handle it again :-(

·
Registered
10 Posts
I watched the whole thing last night(crying through most of it). I think I would have trouble watching it again because it's so powerful.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Lachry: Any way to watch those online? I don't know where to find them, and I'm not old enough to order them off of the internet (my parents hate buying stuff over the internet, so they won't buy it for me, either).

·
Registered
98 Posts

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
Wow, thanks for the link to that tracker. That's very cool. I haven't heard of some of those movies, I'll have to check them out.

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
at 25 minutes in I have had to pause it. I just saw the kosher cow.

I still intend to watch it all, but I need a break. It hasn't made me cry or anything, but it is pretty damn depressing. I would hope that this film would make even the most stubborn meat eater condemn factory farming (notice I didn't say meat eating).

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alli View Post

The kosher cow is, I think, the worst part. I can still see it.
it's not for me. I seem to have to watch the whole thing in stages, but I've watched a little bit more and the whole section on pigs is the worst so far, I think

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Earthlings is a powerful movie. It was the first movie I ever saw to cover non-food related uses of animals such as fur, entertainment, animal testing, pets, etc. The parts I cannot get out of my mind are - the dolphins being killed in Japan (and the narrator says dolphins stay with their family members who have been killed), a pig being intentionally burned and then kept alive for the sake of medical research, and the monkeys intentionally given head injuries for the same purpose. *Shudder*

The part I'm not so fond of about Earthlings is perhaps the first five minutes where parallels to Hitler, the Holocaust, KKK, slavery, etc are brought in. Unfortunately I think this could turn off a great number of omnivores from continuing to watch the film. The images speak for themselves, so I think some of the "preaching" could have been left out.

All in all, a good movie. I also saw Peaceable Kingdom last week, that was perhaps my favorite, and it continually has a great deal of uplifting footage of happy animals at Farm Sanctuary to give you a break from the awful factory farm footage.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Earthlings is a powerful movie. It was the first movie I ever saw to cover non-food related uses of animals such as fur, entertainment, animal testing, pets, etc. The parts I cannot get out of my mind are - the dolphins being killed in Japan (and the narrator says dolphins stay with their family members who have been killed), a pig being intentionally burned and then kept alive for the sake of medical research, and the monkeys intentionally given head injuries for the same purpose. *Shudder*

The part I'm not so fond of about Earthlings is perhaps the first five minutes where parallels to Hitler, the Holocaust, KKK, slavery, etc are brought in. Unfortunately I think this could turn off a great number of omnivores from continuing to watch the film. The images speak for themselves, so I think some of the "preaching" could have been left out.

All in all, a good movie. I also saw Peaceable Kingdom last week, that was perhaps my favorite, and it continually has a great deal of uplifting footage of happy animals at Farm Sanctuary to give you a break from the awful factory farm footage.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
I like peaceable kingdom I heard earthlings is like a faces of death for animals...I am preatty sure I don't want to ever see it. I get really ripped up inside after watching things like that I can't handle it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

Wow, thanks for the link to that tracker. That's very cool. I haven't heard of some of those movies, I'll have to check them out.
I have most of the English language videos so if you want to know more about a particular documentary before dl it, pm me.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
How do you all get past the part with the live dog in the garbage truck? I had to turn it off when it started closing and you could see his face.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by berrykat View Post

I like peaceable kingdom I heard earthlings is like a faces of death for animals...I am preatty sure I don't want to ever see it. I get really ripped up inside after watching things like that I can't handle it.
I personally find films like Earthlings pointless and uninteresting. I think it's a good propaganda tool but as a committed vegan, I don't really 'get much' from it. I'd rather see an intelligent documentary about the philosophy of animal rights, or the history of the movement (the Rise and Rise of Animal Rights promises the latter, but ends by resorting to cliches, etc).

It's like warfare. I am anti war. I know that when bombs drop, the results aren't pretty. But I don't really want to see babies blown up - even though I know it happens.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts