VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Banned
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got some of this stuff, and it's so good!
As an omni, I always had margarines already instead of butter, but I have had butter a few times, yet I think Earth Balance exceeds all other dairy margarines and butter. It's very delicious, I'd like to somehow convince my omni family to try it, because I know they'll love it, too, but I'm not sure if I can get them to.

Butters and margarine have kind of a sour taste and aftertaste to them. I don't know how to explain properly, but basically it tastes a bit bitter or sour when you eat something like toast with too much margarine or butter on it, and I'd never eat butter raw. Earth Balance, however, has the good taste of butter but gets rid of the gross aftertaste. Instead, it has a bit of a sweet taste to it. It doesn't seem to be sweet enough to interfere in food, but it's more of a subtle, tasty sweet that's only noticeable because I expected the bitter taste other butters and margarines have.

I could probably eat this raw, but I'm so afraid of using it up and not having any left, so I'm refraining, but I've had toast with every meal today and as a snack as well, so now I'm just looking for excuses to use it.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Mmmm, Earth Balance on freshly baked French bread.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'd let myself be roasted on a spit if I could be basted with Earth Balance...just saying. I have some in my fridge right now.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Hell yes. Earth Balance is. so. good.

·
Banned
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can't believe I never had any of this sooner. I wish every restaurant used Earth Balance instead of butter, too. It has such a good flavor.

My parents bought a baguette to make into garlic bread. Maybe I could steal it and make it for them with Earth Balance. They'll probably be mad I stole their baguette, but if I can get them to try the Earth Balance, then it'll be a perfect plan.
OR I could just hide all the other food and starve everyone until they try Earth Balance

·
Registered
824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoia View Post

Hell yes. Earth Balance is. so. good.
mmmmhmmm

·
Banned
3,641 Posts
Has anyone else had problems with EB sticks of margarine going bad very quickly? After opening a stick, within about a week, the stick goes moldy. I have never had mold problems with the tubs. I guess I'll just buy the tubs instead.

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydvdr View Post

Has anyone else had problems with EB sticks of margarine going bad very quickly? After opening a stick, within about a week, the stick goes moldy. I have never had mold problems with the tubs. I guess I'll just buy the tubs instead.
Until I read this, I wasn't too happy with EB soy free being in tub form only. Now, I'm not so sure...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Kari View Post

Get the big tub of it instead of the smaller on its only like 2 bucks more
Thanks for the tip. THere was only one size there - it was pretty big. Not thrilled it was close to 6 bucks though!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyVegan View Post

Thanks for the tip. THere was only one size there - it was pretty big. Not thrilled it was close to 6 bucks though!
yup thats about right but the super small one is like 3 bucks LOL do the math!

·
Banned
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Kari View Post

Get the big tub of it instead of the smaller on its only like 2 bucks more
I've never seen the big tub. I get mine at WalMart, they only have the little original and little soy-free.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Aww this thread really makes me feel guilty. I almost bought some for the first time yesterday because I'm trying to be a vegan wannabe, but passed it over for regular butter because it was cheaper and my budget was tight this week. Next time I'll get it!

·
Super Moderator
8,961 Posts
Darn it! I found the Organic Smart Balance on a clearance sale, and I had coupons. I have one in the fridge and two in the freezer. I don't think it's as good as Earth Balance- tastes good, but has a funny texture that makes it hard to spread.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I'm too poor to afford Earth Balance, so I use it's lesser known half-sister, Nucoa, instead. It's made by the same company and has all of the same ingredients as Earth Balance, but at half the price. The only thing that is different, is that it doesn't say non-gmo on the label. The tubs are definitely better than the sticks.

·
Registered
10,728 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whisper View Post

I'm too poor to afford Earth Balance, so I use it's lesser known half-sister, Nucoa, instead. It's made by the same company and has all of the same ingredients as Earth Balance, but at half the price. The only thing that is different, is that it doesn't say non-gmo on the label.
Is that true? If so it's been reformulated, because it used to be made from partially hydrogenated GMO oils and have artificial additives, all things EB doesn't have.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by *AHIMSA* View Post

Is that true? If so it's been reformulated, because it used to be made from partially hydrogenated GMO oils and have artificial additives, all things EB doesn't have.
Oops, it's made by the same company that makes Smart Balance, not Earth Balance. But yes, they have reformulated it. It's non-hydrogenated and made from a Natural Oil Blend (Palm fruit and Soybean oils) now.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts