VeggieBoards banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone else is dealing with this. I am very tired and need more sleep, but lately (for the past 6 months or so) I have been waking around 5 am nearly every day and not always to pee... I am nearly always unable to fall back asleep, even though I feel I could use another hour or so. It causes me trouble during the day (problems focussing, headaches, etc). For the past 2 weeks, the waking is accompanied by an "electrified" feeling, as if I'd swallowed a package of batteries or had a gallon of coffee (which I never drink) or something. Adrenalin ? I feel like a duracell bunny...<br><br><br><br>
I have no idea what causes this or what I can do about it. It would be interesting for me to know if anyone else here recognizes the phenomenon. I know Chinese medicine attrributes different times of night & day to different energy problems (I know waking at 3 am means trouble with the liver for instance) but I have no idea what 5 am is. I am a morning person allright, but this is extreme and makes my nights much too short, since I hardly ever manage to get to bed before 11 pm...<br><br><br><br>
I think there is a connection with my auto-immune problems too but I can't tell which is the cause and which is the consequence... instinctively though I would say the lack of sleep has brought on the auto-immune problem. But the energy imbalance (electrical feeling) may be a consequence of the auto-immune thing, I have no idea really...

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
I am a 3 a.m. waker most mornings. It's awful. I have to go to bed by 9-10 p.m. just to get 5-6 hours in. It definitely affects how you function during the day. Unfortunately, I don't have any advice, I can only share in your misery. I attribute my sleep problems to menopause and fibromyalgia. I'm guessing you are a little young for menopause. Although it could be hormonal to some degree. We go through so many changes as we get a little older. I find napping on the weekends helps me to play 'catch up', even though the experts say there is no such thing as catching up on sleep. But it makes me feel better. I'm not familiar with Chinese medicine or the auto-immune issue you mention. I hope for your sake it's a passing phase and that you get back to normal soon.

·
Banned
2,535 Posts
Ever since I stopped taking the pill about 3 weeks ago, I've been waking up all the time, feeling pretty "charged" as you say. 3am, 4am, 5am, 5:10am.... but I'm usually able to fall back asleep, but not very deeply. A couple nights I just laid there wide away till 6am (normal wake up time.) But, I don't feel less alert during the day (I have, however, been going to bed much earlier to compensate!)<br><br><br><br>
So for me its undoubtably hormonal (my body trying to get back into the swing of things), maybe it is for you too?

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am 43 and "perimenopausal" (light premenopausal complaints since the age of 40 or thereabouts when I stopped breastfeeding my daughter) but all is still "in working order" according to my ob/gyn. I am on a light triphased pill (to control bloodflow as I lost too much otherwise). My bloodwork shows no abnormalities. I have Sjögren's syndrome and I have had some symptoms of FMS lately. It could all be connected. Isn't everything, anyway ?!

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The hormonal angle does make sense because the AI syndrome I have is believed to have a hormonal link as well. This would mean it can be brought back into balance. Must look into that !

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
I get something like that lately. I'll be awake at 6am, but I"ll be very tired and sleepy. I'll want to go back to sleep until 8am, but I'll be unable too. It feels like I can't get comfortable again.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Interesting for fellow sufferers :<br><br><br><br><a href="http://www.tcmpage.com/hpinsomnia.html" target="_blank">http://www.tcmpage.com/hpinsomnia.html</a><br><br><br><br><a href="http://www.orientalmedicine.com/syn_meridians.htm" target="_blank">http://www.orientalmedicine.com/syn_meridians.htm</a><br><br><br><br><br><br>
I am definitely going to discuss this with my energy therapist next week (she practises Yin Shin Yiutsu).

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Maybe it has something to do with a premature cortisol burst. Cortisol level rise after around four in the morning and peak at 6-8 o'clock. Maybe your inner clock has adjusted to an earlier hour.<br><br>
If you like, share what your energy therapist says in the matter. We have a doctor from China (Qingdao) visiting our hospital for three month and she might know a few things about this topic. (吴宁医生青岛市市立医院)

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Aw Lothar I wish you hadn't said that, now I think I may have something going on with the adrenal glands etc. I guess I need to see the doc again and get some blood to the lab... I seem to have a few symptoms pointing in the direction of Cushing syndrome or Addison something like that...<br><br><br><br>
Thought it's not necessarily corisol. I feel the energy burst but I am not hungry when I wake. Cortisol is supposed to make you hungry.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
wow!! i thought i was the only one!!!<br><br>
mine is 5am too. its disasterous! im checking those links! Thanks for posting about it!!!<br><br>
xoxo

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Nope, wouldn'd be a sign for neither Addison nor Cushing! Everyone has that burst od cortisol! Maybe your burst is too early! Please no lab test!!!!!!!<br><br><span style="color:#000080;">:exausted:</span>

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ya... I know I am becoming a hypochondriac with all this stuff. My body is acting up though and I want to understand what is going on. That's why I want the lab tests.<br><br><br><br>
I have to go in anyway for tests the hospital doc requested (silly man, he wanted HIV and hepatitis C, I am sure I don't have either, but for the purpose of elimination and to make him happy...) so it would be no trouble to ask for some extra stuff to be looked at...<br><br><br><br>
My sister the GP blames everything (even the Sjögrens) on chronic sleep deprivation and it looks like this is becoming a vicious cycle. I am having a flare right now (today !) with extra swelling of the salivary glands, pain, etc... Argh. I am going back on iron and zinc for starters and will probably restrict my diet some more... (been a bit indulging lately)...<br><br><br><br>
My dad is due for surgery tomorrow morning (prostate, not for the first time, no cancer, just swelling) and my kid has been pretty "puberal" (age 5 !!!) recently - growth spurt included since she keeps asking for food, which leads me to think this is temporary, I sure hope it is - so yes, I have been worrying... it doesn't help !

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes I checked out sleep apnea, I am certain that this is not what I have. I definitely wake up, am fully conscious, and then can't get back to sleep. With sleep apnea you don't even notice that you are not sleeping properly. You just feel tired in the morning.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts