VeggieBoards banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know of a program or some service offering e-mail sorting?<br><br><br><br>
I've been wasting a lot of time signing in and out of accounts to check e-mail on different topics. It would be much easier just to have all sent to one address and sorted automatically. Hotmail's 2MB is not enough. I was thinking using a POP3 account and something like Outlook Express. I couldn't find any e-mail sorting in Outlook Express though.

·
Administrator
19,873 Posts
Do you mean filters? Most e-mail programs will do that. Eudora - <a href="http://www.eudora.com" target="_blank">http://www.eudora.com</a> - is probably the best and they offer a free (ad supported) version (it's full-featured though). Eudora will also let you send and receive from multiple e-mail accounts.<br><br><br><br>
You're still going to need an e-mail provider though. Maybe that's what you were asking about, I'm not sure.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, filters. Thanks Michael! I'll download Eudora and check it out. Do you know if the ad-supported version carries any spy-ware?

·
Administrator
19,873 Posts
According to this it doesn't sound like it but they don't flat-out say "No."<br><br><br><br><a href="http://www.eudora.com/techsupport/kb/2220hq.html" target="_blank">http://www.eudora.com/techsupport/kb/2220hq.html</a><br><br><br><br>
If you download and run AdAware - <a href="http://www.lavasoftusa.com" target="_blank">http://www.lavasoftusa.com</a> - it will scan your system for spyware. I remembered doing this when I had Eudora installed and the only thing that showed up was "Aureate" which as you've seen in the link above is not actually on the system at all. It's showing up because Eudora has a directory called "adcache" (this same directory is in Aureate, which is spyware, and that's what's triggering it).<br><br><br><br>
Long story short, I wouldn't have any reservations about running it.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
yahoo works fine for me. it has tons of space, i have like 350 messages in my inbox and am only at about 75% of my limit. (i really need to go through and delete stuff)<br><br>
i have one folder right now where i put all my site registration info, like the confirmation messages sites send you with your password info, in case i ever forget. everything else currently stays in my inbox, and spam goes straight to the bulk folder of course. i'm going to be setting up more filters though, once i clean out my inbox, so i can keep it more organized

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
I know everyone will frown on this, but I use Outlook, bc of everything I've tried, it has the most advanced featrues and intutive interface. I have a ton of email plus I archive it all. I use many filters.<br><br><br><br>
But yes, yahoo is good, too, and for a small fee, you can get a bigger mailbox, and also make it pop3 so if you want to download your mail onto your computer to archive it, you can. They recently redisigned yahoo mail so that it is much easier to use (plus it has filters).

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
yes but the new design has a glitch. now and then in the process of loading the page it'll revert back to the old design. if i try to send a message from the old design it fails, so i have to keep refreshing the page til it goes back to the new design. also my attachments don't seem to go through lately. i'm sure it'll get worked out eventually though, i still prefer it to anything else

·
Banned
4,276 Posts
<div class="quote-container"><span>Quote:</span>
<div class="quote-block"><i>Originally posted by Michael</i><br><br><b>But I think she wants to also send and receive from several accounts at once, will those let you do that?</b></div>
</div>
<br><br><br>
So far, all of the e-mail clients mentioned will connect to multiple e-mail accounts via pop (bleech) and IMAP. All of them also have filtering on some level even outlook express. In fact, I can't think of many e-mail systems these days to do not have some form of filtering. Personally, my preference for electronic mail clients is Mozilla or the more up-to-date Mozilla derivatives such as Beonex for Windows or Chimera for Macintosh. I have been staying away from Netscape after it installed a bunch of spy ware the last time I installed it.<br><br><br><br>
That I think, this was just half of the question. The other half of the question was how to consolidate mail into a single account. I used Yahoo! mail for awhile but found it to be a major spam magnet. Also over last year Yahoo! has been very cagey about their privacy policies (for example, changing everyone's privacy settings arbitrarily). My feeling is that if you're going to pay a yearly fee, you might as well go with a provider like mailshell.com that isn't taking money from both marketers and e-mail customers. Mailshell is also cheaper than the yahoo premium service.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
<div class="quote-block"><i>Originally posted by Thalia</i><br><br><b>I know everyone will frown on this, but I use Outlook, bc of everything I've tried, it has the most advanced featrues and intutive interface. I have a ton of email plus I archive it all. I use many filters.<br><br><br><br>
But yes, yahoo is good, too, and for a small fee, you can get a bigger mailbox, and also make it pop3 so if you want to download your mail onto your computer to archive it, you can. They recently redisigned yahoo mail so that it is much easier to use (plus it has filters).</b></div>
</div>
<br><br><br>
I use Outlook now. How do you set up filters? I couldn't find any options for it. BTW: What is wrong with Outlook?<br><br><br><br>
I download a lot of my e-mail and back it up on CD's or disks. I'm hoping that if I use a POP3 it be possible to download an entire folder at once instead of e-mail by e-mail.

·
Banned
4,276 Posts
<div class="quote-block"><i>Originally posted by Apple</i><br><br><b>I use Outlook now. How do you set up filters?</b></div>
</div>
<br><br><br>
if you are using the version of outlook that comes with Microsoft Office it's under Tools->Rules Wizard.<br><br><br><br>
If you are using Outlook Express it is under Tools->Message Rules<br><br><br><br><div class="quote-container"><span>Quote:</span>
<div class="quote-block"><b>I couldn't find any options for it. BTW: What is wrong with Outlook?</b></div>
</div>
<br><br><br>
Quite a few things actually:<br><br><br><br>
Extremely poor security design making Outlook and Outlook Express almost singularly responsible for the spread of email viruses.<br><br><br><br>
Proprietary mailbox format which makes it impossible to use any other program to open your saved mailboxes.<br><br><br><br>
Flagship product of a convicted monopoly.<br><br><br><br>
Impossible to see the full headers of mail messages without going through tons of menus hidden neatly away.<br><br><br><br>
When I last used it as a dialup user, it was so slow opening IMAP mailboxes with large numbers of messages. That, and it sits and does nothing for extended periods of time when downloading messages with large attachments.<br><br><br><br><div class="quote-container"><span>Quote:</span>
<div class="quote-block"><b>I download a lot of my e-mail and back it up on CD's or disks. I'm hoping that if I use a POP3 it be possible to download an entire folder at once instead of e-mail by e-mail.</b></div>
</div>
<br><br><br>
Just about any email client would work then. You might want to look at IMAP-capable clients also that can download messages and leave them on the server.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
yeah yahoo now lets you check other email accounts on the site, POP that is. i could never get mine to work but i think i did something wrong

1 - 17 of 17 Posts