VeggieBoards banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am dyslexic and it only really in the last few years that I have full excepted that it a part of my life and always will be.<br><br>
I was just wondering how other people with dyslexia felt about it, or people with dyslexic children felt

·
Registered
35 Posts
Heres my take, as a person with dyslexia, who has recently finished university etc. I will note I only have it mildly however.<br>
For me dsylexia is just a posh word that means "weakness in skill regarding words etc", we as humans have many different skills, and all of us have are strengths and weakenesses, the only reason this one should be different is that it is a skill required by all subjects in the education system (which to me shows that school only tests academic ability and not any of the other forms of intelligence a person can have.<br>
It sucked to have in school, made everything slower and thus harder and thus I dont think exams allowed me to show off my full potentional or intelligence. However "extra time" and such does help. It also gave my friends something to take the piss out of me for.<br><br>
These days however, my job is highly practical and I use my common sense alot more than I have to recall facts or write anything. The trick is to find a career that allows you to use your intelligence and the skills you are strong in to your full potentional. Oh and ignore the snobs that think only A grade students get good jobs.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I am dyslexic. When I was in grade school I started losing ground really fast. My mom, being a teacher, recognized that something unusual was up. I tested out with a 132 IQ and was failing classes. So, she sent me to a school for dyslexics. In three years they took me from a from failing grades to a 12th grade level. That was pretty good since I was in the 9th grade. My experience is that I also excel at common sense applications. I am also really good and taking all available data and using that to predict most likely future outcomes, especially as it relates to political fallout. I retired from a government job. I tried to warn people many times that political fallout was coming for them. Mostly they never listened. Within two of three years the bottom would fall out in huge and dramatic ways. People acted like they couldn't see it coming. I was always amazed.<br><br>
I learned a long time ago that there is no set future. Only probable futures based on the tendencies of decisions, preferences, social norms, expectations, human behaviors, etc.. We might call it karmic trajectory. Based on people's personality types and preferences we can predict what choices they will make in given circumstances. These choices have predictable outcomes which lead to other decisions, etc.. Most people will never think outside of their own box. When they do futures change. But, they so rarely do that the future is reasonably predictable. The wild card is natural phenomenon and outside forces that could not have been anticipated with any certainty.<br><br>
But, even within the parameter of unpredictable influences we can still say that people, especially people with power, will tend to react in predictable ways so, the futures can be anticipated.<br><br>
This is one of the skills I learned as a dyslexic child growing up in a hostile world.<br><br>
We should discuss this more...<br><br>
Perhaps we were the original Indigo's.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They are very inspiring comments, am glad that you have sheared your views. I am currently doing a dissertaion, as a dislexic person I dread the though of having to have someone elase correct my spelling and grammar. However I really enjoy writing and doing essays.<br><br>
It kind of gives me hope knowing that people like you two have not let dislexia bring you down<br>
Thank you

·
Registered
331 Posts
Nothing to be down about. It's true that you are unique in the universe, as we all are. Nothing wrong with embracing that. I didn't spell or write very good till I went to college. I went to Guilford College. <a href="http://www.guilford.edu/" target="_blank">http://www.guilford.edu/</a> I learned a lot there. It was very challenging but, I had a couple of awesome professors and the library there offers a service for students. That is, that you write your papers and they grade it for you and basically rip it to shreds. Then you take it back, fix all the mistakes, learn from it, turn it in and get a great grade. I used that a lot on my papers and graduated with a 3.97 grade point average. I would have had a 4.00 but, I argued with one specific professor about much of everything he said. So, he gave me a B. I deserved an A in that class. That was the only "B" I ever made for a college class.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As if your professor give you a lower grade. I seem to be getting quite high grade when it comes to essays. Am glad you didn't give up

·
Registered
331 Posts
That's a life lesson. Never give up just because it's temporarily difficult. Lean into the wind and keep walking. Human reality is always subject to shortsightedness. The mental state that we find ourselves right now can seem more permanent than it really is. It's always a good idea to make decisions based on logic and emotional distance. Passion in decision making leads to us spend too much time cleaning up messes we have made.<br><br>
Even though it often seems hard to believe in the short run, always trust the the future has the potential to be better. For example, save for retirement even if it's just a little bit. Work hard to get through school even though you have to sacrifice, graduation will come. Trust the the universe will bring good things into your life. Avoid putting the energy out there that creates negative in your actions and life.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts