VeggieBoards banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had this this DVD player almost six months. It was working fine until this week. I put a DVD in and it started skipping and then stopped playing altogether. I tried another disk, one that I'd used before with no problem. Bt all I got was a message that the disk couldn't be read. Same thing happened when I tried using this special disk for cleaning the laser lens. Can anyone help me? I don't want to do anything to my DVD player unless I know what I'm doing. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
950 Posts
ack. well ummm i have 0 ideas so.... don't ask me. sorry errr maybe you should visit a repair shop (?) or ask a friend who knows about that stuff.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Shut the player off, unplug it from the wall for a minute, plug it back in again, and turn the player back on again. Try playing another disk. If you still have a problem, call the manufacturer. It should be under warranty for 1 year from purchase date.

·
Administrator
19,873 Posts
If that doesn't work it should be under warranty but they might tell you the laser needs to be cleaned and that would probably fall under maintenance which I doubt would be covered.

If you bought it at Wal Mart try to exchange it. If you bought it somewhere like Best Buy or Circuit City take it over there and see if you can get them to look at it (preferably for free of course).

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
Umm, if it wasn't against the law I would say buy another identical one from a company with a 30-day no-questions asked get-your-money back return-policy, such as Walmart, or other department store (as opposed to an electronics store), then bring back the broken one, with the receipt from the new one, and probably in the box from the new one. Of course, check first to make sure they have such a policy. Also make sure the actual serial number of the unit isn't listed on the receipt you have, for the newer one. If it is, you may want to scuddle your plans, and bring back the new one and get your money back for that one, due to the (unlikely however) possibility that they would actually check the serial number when getting a return. Or you may want to take a chance that they won't check the sn, and bring back the old one.

While this is against the law, i don't think anyone has ever been arrested for trying this or succeeding at it. I guess the police pretty much think if the store is lazy enough not to confirm serial numbers thruout the selling and return process, it's their problem if they get a "return" of an item bought at another store, or bought at the same store at an earlier date than the customer said they bought it.

My parents used to do this all the time when I was little, and trained me to be a little con-artist too.

If you can't find a store with a "money-back" return policy, but can find with with a 30-day exchange-for-a-new-one policy, you might want to buy a new one, bring back the old one, and exchange it for a (second) new one. Then you will have 2 working dvd-players, which are identical or nearly identical. Perhaps you can arrange with a friend who covets your dvd player, to get him a new one at a 10% discount. That way, in effect, you'll be able to get the equivalent of a new working one for yourself, to replace the broken one, at 10% of the cost of a new one -- repair charges for these types of items can exceed the cost of a new item, or cost 50% of the cost of a new item; 10% is a better deal than that.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
Another thing you can try is to bring back the broken one you have to the store where you bought it, and insist it is playing dvd's that are different than the one you put in, but otherwise it works fine. In other words, tell them if you put in a dvd of Dumb and Dumber, but instead of seeing Dumb and Dumber, you see Interview with a Vampire. Then mention that you find Interview with a Vampire very scary, and would prefer to see Dumb and Dumber.

They will say "that's impossible," whilst thinking -- what a moron. They will say if you put in D and D, it must play D and D, it can't possibly play IwaV. They will then check out the dvd and find out that if they put in Dumb and Dumber -- they see nothing and nothing.

But by now they will be afraid to tell you that "your dvd player just doesn't work." They know that if they say that, you will say "it works just fine; it just plays the wrong dvd." They won't be willing to argue against that; they won't be able to say, "no, if you put in Dumb and Dumber, the piece of crap we sold you shows Nothing at All; it doesn't work at all." Such an argument just isn't in them. That, they feel, will make them look stupid, instead of you, whom they are convinced is the stupid one. They will feel that by saying it plays nothing at all, they will be losing an argument -- with a moron. They will insist on fixing it instead -- without telling you (and without charging you either, or they might even replace it with a new one, whilst denying they have done that) -- so they can do what they feel makes you look as stupid as they are convinced you are, and then they will argue that no, it does not play Interview with a Vampire when you put in Dumb and Dumber, like you said, you moron; it plays Dumb and Dumber, just like we said it would.

If i was a dvd repair person, and you brought this kind of dvd problem to me, that's what I would do.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for replying. I tried unplugging it and plugging it back in, and I read the manual again to make sure I didn't miss anything. Still no luck.
I'm hoping that it's not broken and it just needs to be cleaned. I'll call the customer service # before I try anything else.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts