VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello people,

I found a link to this board, so I registered myself.

I will introduce myself first. So you understand a little who I am.

I am Alex (male) and 19 years old. I am living in the Netherlands in Mijdrecht (ever heard of it?
It is near Amsterdam.)

I am a vegan. First I was a (lacto-ovo-)vegetarian and I found out that drinking milk an eating eggs is not so good for the animals. I was a vegetarian since my 12th year and started about 2 months ago stop eating eggproducts and stopped with the milk.

I am still on school and I do something with computers (software part and a little hardware). I have an own company. This is a webdesigncompany.

I love the nature, so I started a website in the Netherlands, called DeNatuur.NL (translated: TheNature dot NL). Also I started a productdatabase called Vegantastic. It is not finished yet and it contains only dutch/belgium products.

I am also volunteer for some things. I have made a website for a foundation who are against animal abuse and that sort of things. Also I participate in a demonstration against fur with some activist of PETA. In the future I hope to do more for animals or for nature.

If you want to know more about me..just ask!

·
Banned
261 Posts
Hey! Welcome!

Actually, I think I have heard of Mijdrecht, though I have no idea where. It just rings a bell...

Is it hard being a vegan in your area? I don't know how vegetarian-friendly it is over there (I'm in the USA), so, just wondering.

Cassie

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by vegancherrypie

Is it hard being a vegan in your area? I don't know how vegetarian-friendly it is over there (I'm in the USA), so, just wondering.

Cassie [/B]
In my area ( i live in a small village) there is not so much vegan food. I study in Amsterdam and there you have some shops who are having more vegan products and even more vegetarian food. In some supermarkets you will find products with a V(egatarian)-label, but not in everyone. Sometimes it is hard to find, but when you know where to look for, then is easy!

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Hello Vegantastic welcome to the boards..

My grandmother came from the Netherlands, so i hope one day i will get to travel there. (i am in the USA)

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
welcome aboard!

we actually have another netherlander here
and I have a friend who is learning Dutch.

Post often and have a good time!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Vegantastic , welcome to VB.

I am very happy to know you, a dutch vegetarian. I will go to Holland for a further education - a master course - in August (now I am in China). This is the first time for me to go to a foreign country, a totoally strange country.

I am a little worry about the living condition for a vegetarian in Netherland. Could you tell me some detail about how you deal with your food.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by ganlu

Vegantastic , welcome to VB.

I am very happy to know you, a dutch vegetarian. I will go to Holland for a further education - a master course - in August (now I am in China). This is the first time for me to go to a foreign country, a totoally strange country.

I am a little worry about the living condition for a vegetarian in Netherland. Could you tell me some detail about how you deal with your food.
Ofcourse. I live in a small town, so much variation I don't have. Just vegatables and fruit. And some products with a V-label. That looks like

http://www.vegetariers.nl/pict/keurnvb.gif

That is a trademark you can find on products in the Netherlands. (you can find them at the supermarket Albert Heijn). This trademark is only on a few products (maybe 100 products).

If you are in the Netherlands, you must find the store Albert Heijn (AH). AH has more products for vegetarians and for vegans then other supermarkets. Also they have biologic food (vegetables and fruit) (EKO), which means they have products made with care for environment.

Looks like this: http://www.skal.nl/EKO-LOGOklein.jpg

For icecream, desserts and that sort of things you can look for the brands Alpro and Provamel. These products are good for vegetarians.

Also we have vegetarian restaurants in a lot of big cities.

In which city are you going to study? And which school?

·
Registered
8,440 Posts
Being vegetarian in the netherlands is absolutely NO problem.

The store vegantastic mentioned is the biggest supermarket around. In bigger city's (what we call big) there will be an "Albert heijn". You can see their logo on www.ah.nl

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
Welcome!
You sound very ambitious! Congratulations on going vegetarian at 12 - that's very admirable, and being vegan now!

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
Welcome to veggieboards Alex

I live in the US, and I have many dutch friends. Last year, I went to London for a week, and I took a two day excursion to Amsterdam and saw my friends. All I ate for two days was appel en oranje sap!

Later, on the tram going to Centraal Station we passed a 'natuurwinkel'! At this point, I was quite hungry, but I didn't have time to go to the store.

Next week, I'm going to Thailand, and I'm meeting my friend Mirella there. She's been traveling in Asia for 8 months, and I'm meeting up with her for three weeks. She's from Hoogeveen and very nice. I helped her go vegetarian 3 years ago.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Hey, Alex! Welcome to VB! Hope you enjoy yourself, here.
I know I do.
It's a BIG help to talk to others with same mindset as your own.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by mikie

Welcome to veggieboards Alex

I live in the US, and I have many dutch friends. Last year, I went to London for a week, and I took a two day excursion to Amsterdam and saw my friends. All I ate for two days was appel en oranje sap!

There is more food in amsterdam for vegans

Quote:
Later, on the tram going to Centraal Station we passed a 'natuurwinkel'! At this point, I was quite hungry, but I didn't have time to go to the store.
Maybe tomorrow I go to that store, because a company which produced 100% vegetable mayo has adjusted this one and now it is not 100% any more, so I must travel to amsterdam and visit that store for some veganaise (vegan mayo
).

1 - 20 of 41 Posts