VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last time I checked some flavours were vegan. I double checked with the guy worker just incase. He said that he was 100% positive they use eggs in all of their bagels to "keep them together".
I feel really weird about this...is every location different?
 

·
Arrrg! Me mateys.
Joined
·
5,591 Posts
http://www.dunkindonuts.com/content/...nu/bagels.html

From just taking a quick scan through all the ingredients, it doesn't look like the bagels have egg, but all of them have l-cysteine and some have honey, which is not vegan, as well as DATEM which is apparently of questionable origin, and "enzyme" and "natural flavors" which can be anything.

Edit: They all have azodicarbonamide, which people may way to avoid for health reasons.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet Master View Post

http://www.dunkindonuts.com/content/...nu/bagels.html

From just taking a quick scan through all the ingredients, it doesn't look like the bagels have egg, but all of them have l-cysteine and some have honey, which is not vegan, as well as DATEM which is apparently of questionable origin, and "enzyme" and "natural flavors" which can be anything.

Edit: They all have azodicarbonamide, which people may way to avoid for health reasons.
ah, ****. I didn't know they had l-cysteine in them. I stopped eating them a while ago because of the azodicarbonamide. I don't know how I missed the fact that they contain l cysteine. I know none of their donuts are vegan so I guess that leaves the coffee.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,726 Posts
I don't eat anything from DD, but that's a bummer about the bagels. I wish they'd make soy milk available for their coffee selections.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTree15 View Post

I don't eat anything from DD, but that's a bummer about the bagels. I wish they'd make soy milk available for their coffee selections.
I wish. I keep emailing them and harassing them about it. I'm sick of carrying around my own bottle of soy milk when I know I'm going to be going to DD.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,726 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

I wish. I keep emailing them and harassing them about it. I'm sick of carrying around my own bottle of soy milk when I know I'm going to be going to DD.
I have done the same to no avail, but I keep trying, hoping DD will come around. If I'm out with people and we end up stopping there on a whim, I usually just get an iced tea or nothing, or I have to get a black iced coffee and wait until I get home to drink it. Not very practical.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i just go to starbucks for coffee...
I just don't like DD, but in this case we were in the middle of nowwhere on our way to ny
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
34,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlainWinthrope View Post

is any of the food at Starbucks vegan? they always have cakes and whatnot
I pretty sure the Sesame Noodles Bistro Box is. The ingredients are listed on it too. And the oatmeal. I read that the multi-grain bagel MIGHT be vegan, but not 100% sure.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

I pretty sure the Sesame Noodles Bistro Box is. The ingredients are listed on it too. And the oatmeal. I read that the multi-grain bagel MIGHT be vegan, but not 100% sure.
The sesame box is indeed VEGAN
i get it all the time! IT'S AMAZING and really filling!
idk about the bagels, since i rarely ever eat one, but i can ask! the guys that work at starbucks love me! and always read ingredients and bring stuff up to meeee
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
NGREDIENTS: Bagel: Enriched Wheat Flour (Wheat Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamin Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Water, Sugar, Malt Extract, Degermed Yellow Corn Meal, Yeast, Salt, Natural Ferment Flavor (Cultured Wheat and Wheat Malt Flours, Vinegar, Salt), Molasses, Dough Conditioner (Malted Barley Flour, Enzymes, Dextrose), Soy (Trace); Topping: Sesame Seeds.

Am i missing something here? I don't see L-cysteine at all in these ingredients you've linked to. Is it hidden under something?
 

·
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕
Joined
·
3,229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whackamole View Post

NGREDIENTS: Bagel: Enriched Wheat Flour (Wheat Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamin Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Water, Sugar, Malt Extract, Degermed Yellow Corn Meal, Yeast, Salt, Natural Ferment Flavor (Cultured Wheat and Wheat Malt Flours, Vinegar, Salt), Molasses, Dough Conditioner (Malted Barley Flour, Enzymes, Dextrose), Soy (Trace); Topping: Sesame Seeds.

Am i missing something here? I don't see L-cysteine at all in these ingredients you've linked to. Is it hidden under something?
Seems pretty vegany to me. I don't obsess too much over the minute ingredients. I do watch for L cysteine though and I don't see it in there. Only questionable ingredients may be Enzymes and if you worry about the source of the sugar. Otherwise, it looks fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
235 Posts
Never paid attention to L-cysteine before.... :s Well, now I know, I guess... (someone knows how to translate this into Chinese?
help.gif
)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,026 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saretta View Post

L-cysteine what it is exactly?
http://www.vrg.org/nutshell/faqingredients.htm#cystine

Many vegans and vegetarians don't care about it because avoiding foods with L-cysteine is unlikely to save any animals, protect the environment, or improve your health. But if you offer something to other veg*ns then it should not have L-cysteine in it because technically it is an animal product and thus the food item is not vegetarian or vegan. Items with L-cysteine in them should never be labeled as vegetarian or vegan.

FWIW, if I were hungry I would eat that DD bagel. L-cysteine is not on the label. And I don't care about the sugar source sice the majority of sugar is vegan.

However, I never go to Dunkin Donuts. Ever. It's not part of my routine or culture. I'm much more likely to go to Starbucks or if I want donuts, we have a place that sells vegan donuts here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
197 Posts
thank you very much for the link it is very interesting. i was aware about the others items for L cysteine, never seen before.I come from France. Maybe it isn't used so much there.

now i am living in canada and I willbe attention to it. however i eat as much as I can organic, maybe L cysteine is less used in the organic processed products.
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top