VeggieBoards banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I was wondering if anyone had any cheap, easy and natural ways to get rid of dandruff and dry scalp. At the moment I'm trying Olive Oil from what my mother suggested and it seems to be working, not to mention making me hungry

I was just curious as to what others have used in the past.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
If your dry scalp only bothers you during winter a humidifyer in the house might help. Also some bowls of water left out will evaporate and make the place more humid. It is a good idea anyway in winter for heating reasons. I dont get dandruff, but my dog does-- I do get really dry flaking legs. a rinse of diluted white vinegar seems to help-- possibly by raising the acid level of the skin. Also dont wash your hair in hot water-- use only warm, also try to allow your natural oils to do their job instead of adding vegetable oil to your hair. A good way is to let your hair go unwashed a few days a week. You can hide this by wearing a hat, or bandanna. I am no biochemist so I am not sure what happens.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Well, I was told taking salt and exfoliating the scalp with it helps. I used to do that. Also, I do the olive oil thing. It helps. Also, I was told doing a rinse with vinegar helps restore Ph levels or something.

I hate having dandruff.. people think I'm dirty!

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I hate it also. Not to mention the itchiness. I used the olive oil, but it made me crave bread

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Also, use a good quality shampoo & conditioner and rinse *really* well. My hairdresser told me that often it is residue from product that wasn't rinsed out properly and it leaves the scalp flaky and dry.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
I had the same problem. I was using a dandruff shampoo, but what it really ended up being is that my skin was dry, not that I actually had dandruff. This may sound weird, but it works very well- wash your hair with conditioner! That's what I've been doing, and it works great
I didn't just make this up either, I found out about it online, a lot of people have found success with it. The trick is to use a very light conditioner with no silicones(these make your hair shiny but will build up with repeated use). I've been using VO5 Kiwi and Lime conditioner (I believe it's vegan actually?), I end up using 2 handfulls. After that you can use a deeper conditioner for the ends of hair if you wish. Try cutting down the shampooing with regular shampoo to just once a week. The only thing though is again, products with some types of silicones won't wash out as good. If you want to cut down irritation even further, switch to a shampoo that is sulfate-free(meaning it uses very gentle cleansers instead of harsher ones), this is what I did, I'm using Creme of Nature which is found in the ethnic section at the store.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts