VeggieBoards banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok,l am asking this on behalf of a friend because she is at her wits end.

She has beautiful, but extremely dry and brittle hair which she claims has also started to fall out recently. (not in great clumps, but more is coming out with the hairbrush than she is happy with)

I know she has tried no end of shampoos, treatments and so on, to no avail so I am thinking it must be something to do with her diet?

Are there any defeciencies specifically related to this kind of problem?

She is also very stressed at present and I wondered if that could be aggravating the situation.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Pregnancy and birth control can play a roll. I got off birth control in January and my hair started falling out for about a month, then tapered off.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I would think birth control has the same effect on hair as being pregnant - when you're pregnant your hair gets thicker because it doesn't fall out as much. Afterwards, what normally would have fallen out does.

If I were your friend, I'd go to the doctor right away to find out if it were a nutritional problem or something else.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Vitamin B, iron, and protein are the first things that come to mind. I've had this problem plenty in the past, and I know other people who have had this problem plenty, and as far as I can remember, deficiencies of those things are what will cause it, mainly. I may be wrong though, I have a horrible memory.

Stress will definitely add to it though :/

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Actually, when you are pregnant, you have lots of progesterone in your body, which does wonders for hair. Being on the pill contributes to estrogen dominance, which can lead to hair loss. Estrogen needs to be opposed by progesterone in order for you to stay balanced. Your friend might want to try using a natural progesterone cream to balance out the estrogen, especially if she's experiencing other symptoms of estrogen dominance. I have tons more info on this if you need it. Also, see the post about endometriosis. I've also mentioned the estrogen dominance issue there.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
i know i mention this a lot, but it's also a symptom of hypothyroidism. if she also has dry flaky skin and scalp it could be a symptom of something like that

·
Registered
0 Posts
Dry hair is one thing; hair falling out is completely another.

Causes:

Severe and/or chronic anemia

Too few calories

Washing ones hair too often

Severe and/or prolonged stress (not "I don't have a job" stress, but "My child is dying" stress)

Thyroid problems

Medication reaction

some *very* serious diseases

She needs to go to the doctor NOW. It could be something as simple as frequent hair washing (more then 2x per day), but she could also have something life-threatening wrong with her.

A simple blood test can rule out many of the causes above.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts