VeggieBoards banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm not real sure why they make the connection to gay men. it contradicts itself later saying the elderly are most likely to get it, in nursing homes etc. but anyway..<br><br><br><br><br><br><a href="http://ca.news.yahoo.com/030128/5/rk9e.html" target="_blank">http://ca.news.yahoo.com/030128/5/rk9e.html</a><br><br><br><br>
Tuesday January 28 6:27 PM EST<br><br>
Drug-Resistant Staph Bacteria Found in Los Angeles<br><br>
By Deena Beasley<br><br><br><br>
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - A bacterial skin infection that does not respond to standard antibiotics is showing up for the first time in gay men, raising concerns that it could spread further, a Los Angeles health official said on Tuesday.<br><br><br><br>
The virulent strain of drug-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, or staph, has caused symptoms like abscesses and boils in a still undetermined number of gay men, as well as other people, said Dr. Elizabeth Bancroft, a medical epidemiologist with the Los Angeles County Health Department who is leading an investigation.<br><br><br><br>
"We don't yet have a sense of the magnitude of the problem," she said.<br><br><br><br>
Due to the overuse and frequent misuse of antibiotics -- like using them to treat colds, flu and other viral illnesses -- many bacteria have learned to outsmart the drugs and have consequently become much more difficult to treat.<br><br><br><br>
The infection showing up in Los Angeles does not respond to oral antibiotics like penicillin or even Cipro, and some patients have had to be hospitalized and given powerful intravenous antibiotics, according to the health department.<br><br><br><br>
The staph infection usually needs skin to skin contact to spread, but records show that it can be contracted in damp, warm environments like steam rooms, Bancroft said.<br><br><br><br>
"The number of reports has been rising since the end of the summer ... but doctors don't expect to see (staph) in healthy individuals, they expect to see it in elderly patients who are in and out of nursing homes," Bancroft said.<br><br><br><br>
She said the health department only recently determined that the infections were the same strain of bacteria.<br><br><br><br>
Past outbreaks of the antibiotic-resistant skin infection have been seen in groups such as athletes and intravenous drug users who live in close quarters and share things like gym equipment and towels.<br><br><br><br>
An infection within the gay community is of concern because these men might have more skin-to-skin contact that could make it easier for the staph infection to spread, Bancroft said.<br><br><br><br>
To find out, the Los Angeles health department is launching one study to asses the risk of transmission in the gay community and another to determine the prevalence of the disease.<br><br><br><br>
For now, Los Angeles area doctors are being alerted to the infection trend and encouraged to do cultures of suspected cases.<br><br><br><br>
Bancroft said the county does not yet have the data to instruct doctors to change their initial antibiotic treatment regimen.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I've heard that using antibacterial hand/dish washing soap can also add to the resistant bacteria... We've stopped buying that stuff for a while now, but just about everyone else out there uses that stuff on a daily basis. kinda scary.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
after i found that article i also read another about "noroviruses". this stuff is all spread by lack of hygiene. it's not difficult to wash our hands before shoving them in our mouths is it? lol<br><br>
i think a lot of stuff is spread through the workplace though. especially where people share computer keyboards, cash registers etc.<br><br>
but yeah i've heard that antibacterial soaps is why they're becoming resistant. i used to use liquid antibacterial soap in the washroom, now we're just using plain bar soap. it's not so much what you wash your hands with, it's how well and how often you wash them

·
Registered
0 Posts
I read an article recently about infections that had become resistant to vancomycin - supposedly the strongest antibiotic known to man.<br><br><br><br>
I like pointing that out in arguments about flesh products, seeing as the meat industry is the largest consumer of antibiotics in the US (70%).<br><br><br><br>
It's outright scary - and serves as a chilling way to get people to realize the gravity of the situation.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
The nursing home problem with staph might have to do with close physical contact between the elderly and the nurse aides and other staff. I've worked in a nursing home, and I know that unfortunately, many staff members do not have particularly high standards of cleanliness and sanitation. Some do the bare minimum, what they know they won't get caught for doing... It's rather hard for a supervisor to really know what goes on behind a resident's closed door.<br><br><br><br>
Funny, the only person I know of who has a staph infection is neither elderly nor gay. She's a 22 year old college student, very interested in cleanliness and health, but she thinks she picked it up in some public bathroom.

·
Registered
8,440 Posts
I dont get it completely, but over here we sometimes hear of MSRA.<br><br>
It is also called the hospital bacteria and its resistant to almost anything.<br><br><br><br>
Bacteria get resistant because:<br><br><br><br>
-\tpeople do not always use up all the medication they are prescripted. Its important to take all the pills the doctor gives you even when the problem is gone and you have some pills left. If you dont use up the whole strip, some bacteria might (barely) survive and get resistant.<br><br>
-\tOver hygiene By cleaning every thing by doing so we spread to much in the environment of the bacteria which enables/ makes them adapt.<br><br>
-\tThe use of anti-biotics in agriculture IE chickens are fed anti-biotics constantly to prevent them from getting sick.<br><br><br><br>
I also fear we will have more of this if the idiots, excuse me, scientists go ahead with xeno-transplantion.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts