VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Arrrg! Me mateys.
5,591 Posts
Hitler wasn't even a vegetarian, anyway?
Didn't he eat sausage and turtle soup and fish and stuff?

Edit: According to this, I was kinda close

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adolf_H..._vegetarianism

Quote:
Author Robert Payne, in his biography of Hitler, The Life and Death of Adolph Hitler (Praeger, 1973) theorizes that the image of Hitler as a vegetarian ascetic was deliberately fostered by propaganda minster Joseph Goebbels:

"Hitler's asceticism played an important part in the image he projected over Germany. According to the widely believed legend he neither smoked nor drank, nor did he eat meat or have anything to do with women. Only the first was true. He drank beer and diluted wine frequently, had a special fondness for Bavarian sausages and kept a mistress....His asceticism was a fiction invented by Goebbels to emphasize his total dedication, his self-control, the distance that separated him from other men....In fact, he was remarkably self-indulgent and possessed none of the instincts of the ascetic. His cook, an enormously fat man named Willy Kannenberg, produced exquisite meals and acted as court jester. Although Hitler had no fondness for meat except in the form of sausages and never ate fish, he enjoyed caviar...." (p. 346)[18]

·
Riot Nrrrd
3,180 Posts
This is also known as a reductio ad Hitlerum argument (after the reductio ad absurdum fallacy). Relatively easy to counter even if you don't know the particulars of animal protectionism/vegetarianism in Third Reich Germany. Hitler also liked patriotism, motherhood, and transportation infrastructure. So I guess anyone proud to live in a country with a system of roads that facilitate visiting Mom is a fascist?

·
Riot Nrrrd
3,180 Posts
Quote:
Hitler wasn't even a vegetarian, anyway.
Didn't he eat sausage and turtle soup and fish and stuff?
Pigeon was his favorite apparently. He did avoid many rich foods (they upset his digestion, a bad thing since he had chronic flatulance). After his niece died the sight of blood bothered him, which limited the flesh-foods he could consume. It is difficult to separate propaganda from reality with Hitler's diet but it is significant that vegetarianism is mentioned in Mein Kampf ... never. Not once. If it was central to Hitler's world view ya think he woulda at least mentioned it in the book that outlines that view.

·
Registered
41 Posts
How ridiculous. 99% of child molestors, serial killers, drug dealers and rapists in prison at any given time are omnivorous and you don't see vegetarians or vegans invoking "Hiter Ate Sugar" and claiming all omnivores are child molestors, serial killers, drug dealers or rapists. I had to leave a comment on that article. After reading Eternal Treblinka and many other testimonies from people who were under Hitler's rule during that era, I am one hundred percent confident that Hitler being a vegetarian is a complete and utter lie. And even if he was, my statement about the omnivores explains pretty well how null that argument is.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Wow, what a totally ignorant and false article in many ways. You just can't make a statement that veg*ns are all comparable to Nazis, or that a veg*n diet is too limiting, with any credibility. Love the "Hitler ate sugar" article, it tickled my sense of the ridiculous.

·
Arrrg! Me mateys.
5,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Huntress View Post

I don't get it.. what's wrong with eating sugar?
Nothing, (well, arguable
) it's a phrase that means anything Hitler did is bad, so if anyone does any of the things Hitler did, they're bad as well. The tvtropes link the OP posted talks about it.
For this example of the article, it's "Hitler was a vegetarian - Hitler was a bad person - So vegetarians are bad people"

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
Uh, perhaps the OP shouldn't be watching the cattle network.

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
That was hilarious! Thanks for posting. I always enjoy it when people post weak strawman arguments like that, it just makes it funnier when the argument gets torn to shreds.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
I think their point was more that PETA shouldn't be championing famous vegetarians that did good things if they're going to ignore the more morally questionable ones.

However.

I always thought the point of pointing out well-known people that happen to be veg*n is to show that it's possible to maintain a healthy lifestyle and good body on a vegetarian diet, or that being a vegetarian doesn't make you an idiot, or that people can be a vegetarian without you even noticing so it's really not that weird, rather than giving us the moral high-ground because 'OMG LOOK FAMOUS PEOPLE DON'T EAT MEAT WE ARE SO AWESOMEEEZZZ'.

And, Hitler wasn't even a vegetarian. So, fail.

·
3,936 Posts
it must be nice for omnies to know that all that stands in the way of them becoming a death camp running dictator is a cheeseburger, or chicken nugget.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Maybe we should tell them that terrorists eat meat.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Bob: I want to commit genocide.

Alice: The Nazis committed genocide.

Bob: Really? What was I thinking? I can't believe I was going to do something the Nazis did.

LOL

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Hitler also had a mustache.

Stalin too!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.