VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I've been vegan for about 4-5 months and had never had problems with drinking/being sick the next day. Since I've gone vegan, I always seem to get sick the next day after drinking. I only had a couple of beers last night and this morning I'm not hungover (I don't have a headache or anything) but I feel really nauseaus. It is as if I simply can no longer digest alcohol. Is this normal??

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Not at all sure... I never did drink (strange little me, didn't even drink on my 21st birthday!)~ but that's an interesting question!

What did you have to eat before/during the drinking?

·
Banned
1,524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildD View Post

Hello, I've been vegan for about 4-5 months and had never had problems with drinking/being sick the next day. Since I've gone vegan, I always seem to get sick the next day after drinking. I only had a couple of beers last night and this morning I'm not hungover (I don't have a headache or anything) but I feel really nauseaus. It is as if I simply can no longer digest alcohol. Is this normal??
I switched about the same time as you and have noticed the same thing! I wouldn't go so far as to say "sick," but I definitely feel it more. I've lost a good bit of weight, so that's a factor, but I don't think that accounts for all of it. I'm guessing fat intake has something to do with the way we metabolize alcohol.

Hopefully, Lothar will see this thread and have some answers.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Maybe your body's telling you to drink less. Not none, but not as much.

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
My tolerance stayed about the same. For me, it depends on what I've eaten before I drink. If I have say, soup, or something less substantial I tend to get sick. A hearty bowl of rice and beans or something is a different story.

If you've lost weight (as Nigel said) that may certainly be a factor.

·
Registered
0 Posts
The liver process a lot of fats. Vegan diets are usually way less in fats than the average diet..even the vegetarian diet. I believe the liver gets used to this and doesn't have to work as hard. When you assault it with alcohol it has to work harder to clear your body of the toxins. All of a sudden your liver goes from easy going to working over time. Heck, it may even slightly swell.

·
Registered
7,895 Posts
Brandon, don't see why rice (or even beans) would F~ you Up.... Think how bread is supposed to absorb alcohol and well stuff anyway, and I don't drink as a rule so hard for anyone to believe what I say, but I would think rice to be even better at the absorbtion of stuff like alcohol ?

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA~goth~UK View Post

Brandon, don't see why rice (or even beans) would F~ you Up.... Think how bread is supposed to absorb alcohol and well stuff anyway, and I don't drink as a rule so hard for anyone to believe what I say, but I would think rice to be even better at the absorbtion of stuff like alcohol ?
I think you misread my post VA. I was saying that eating something substantial such as rice and beans is a better thing to eat first, instead of say something like a bowl of soup.

·
Registered
57 Posts
i can't explain it, but i've noticed the exact opposite. for as long as i can remember i'd had an intolerance to most types of alcohol, in particular beer, wine, and sugary mixed drinks. minutes after drinking i'd start feeling severe back, shoulder and neck pain that would last an hour or two, and then i'd feel extremely hung over in the morning, even if i only drank a few drops and wasn't close to getting drunk.

reasonably, i stayed off alcohol for quite awhile. then a year ago (i've been vegan for 2.5) i started drinking a bit of beer as an experiment, and to my surprise i felt no negative effects whatsoever, neither the pain nor the hangovers. i'm still a little sensitive to wine and sweet drinks but not nearly as much.

it's only anecdotal and i have no reason to think my change of diet was the cause, but i guess our bodies just react differently over time. if it has to do with your body adjusting to change it might not be hopeless, yet!

·
Registered
7,895 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Brandon View Post

I think you misread my post VA. I was saying that eating something substantial such as rice and beans is a better thing to eat first, instead of say something like a bowl of soup.
Ah yeah sorry man, I thought you were sayiing rice and beans in the negative, but clearly now you were not.

Cheers man, keep up the rice and beans

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
I don't get hung over. Ever. Whatever effects there are going to be, I get them a few hours later, and after that nothing. I nearly killed myself with vodka once and still no hangover.

Why that is, I have no idea.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I'm noticing a similar problem, WildD. I used to be able to drink like it was going out of style, and be just dandy the next day. I cut down to just wine when I went vegetarian a long while ago, but after going vegan (one month ago), I'm feeling a little off after ONE glass of wine the night before. What gives? I thought my German genes gave me an iron liver for so long, but apparently they have abandoned me.

It was our last bottle in the house with sulfites in it (we're going organic from now on), so maybe that was it? Ugh, I'm waiting for my coffee to kick in.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scythe View Post

I don't get hung over. Ever. Whatever effects there are going to be, I get them a few hours later, and after that nothing. I nearly killed myself with vodka once and still no hangover.

Why that is, I have no idea.
How is that fair?

·
Ex-*****
5,391 Posts
I didn't notice any difference. But then I always make sure to eat properly, and I love fatty foods. And I tend not to totally waste myself. To quote from Håvamål, the ever-fascinating old Norse poem about etiquette, proper conduct, etc:

A better burden may no man bear

For wanderings wide than wisdom;

Worse food for the journey he brings not afield

Than an over-drinking of ale.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts