VeggieBoards banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, this is my first post as a member of this forum. It's great to be here!

I have a problem: I soaked dry white kidney beans in water for close to 24 hours. I then combined them with tomatoes, tofu, onion and green peppers in my slow cooker to make chili. It's been cooking for a little more than two hours on low (1.5 hours) and high (45 min).

I JUST read about needing to boil the kidney beans for 10 minutes to avoid phytohaemagglutinin poisoning. Is there any way to salvage my chili? It would really be a huge waste if I had to throw everything out.

Thanks so much to anyone who can help!

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Transfer to a pot on the stove at the end and boil for 10 minutes. I don't know if it it'll work after the tomatoes have been added since they are acidic, but it's worth a try. White kidney beans don't have as much phytohemagglutinin as the red variety, though, so you might be ok.

My guess is your beans may be underdone anyway if you didn't pre-cook them at all (just pre-soaked). It's really hard to get beans to soften more after you've added acidic ingredients.

Hope it works out ok for you!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response! I'd like to ask a follow-up question just to be sure. I thought about that but I read that undercooking kidney beans (eg. in a slowcooker) will raise the levels of the toxin up to 5x the original amount. Does this imply that they become immune to the effects of boiling? I'm also wondering if boiling afterwards will do the trick since they will be immersed in the chili and not water, which might prevent them from being completely cooked.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
As long as you boil the beans for at least ten minutes, at any point during the cooking process, you will be safe. The toxins do increase greatly at lower temperatures, you are correct about that, but as soon as they reach the boiling point they will start to be neutralized. I usually boil the hell out of my beans for 15 or 20 minutes just to be on the safe side. In the future, perform this step before adding the beans to your crockpot.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I have made plenty of dishes in the slow cooker with red kidney beans before I ever knew about this and I am still alive.
I wouldn't worry about it. Just kick the slow cooker up to high; that should bring it to a strong simmer if not a low boil.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
I've never heard of this and I have used a crockpot for many years and cook beans all the time. I usually see it bubbling on the top when it gets going though, so I guess that's why I am alive?

·
Registered
235 Posts
I think, but I'm not 100% sure so perhaps someone will correct me, that sprouting or "pre-sprouting" your beans does away with some of the toxins too. Well, at least it boosts the nutrient content of that I'm sure, so it can't hurt to give it a try (eventually this post might not be helpful at all...)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts