VeggieBoards banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i love snacking on dried figs n dates and go through periods where i just finish up a 250g bag or so in a go, everyday. i buy those that have no added sugar n all and are organic, but still, i wonder if it's bad for me to be snacking like tht (yes, i am addicted) as after all, they are still (natural) sugars. any ideas??

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
Basically.. You can either eat ten figs, or you can eat five figs and a potato.

Does that make sense? If you fill up on figs, you won't crave another snack later: Therefore, you won't put on weight- Because you're still just consuming as many calories as you need.

·
Banned
559 Posts
actually, i went thru a dried fruit obsessive phase when i was trying the raw food thing and i ended up gaining weight..i'm pretty sure it was beacuse of all that freakin dried fruit/sugar.

the other thing is (in excessive amounts of course) it'll stain your teeth.

but i agree.dried fruit is great. it's probably a good thing i don't have a dehydrator!

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
It's the good kind of sugar (fructose), which has a low glycemic index - you won't get diabetes from it. (If it's not sweetened w/ table sugar...)

The only prob I see w/ dried fruit is that it's easy to overeat. In fact, it's the only way how you can overeat fruit. I can easily eat like 10-15 pineapple rings in a short period of time, but I certainly couldn't eat a whole fresh pineapple or more.

Any surplus calorie will be converted to fat and stored in the body.

And of course if you're addicted and eat them compulsively, then it's another problem, not one of the dried fruit...
I used to be addicted to aforementioned pineapple rings.

But they are great. I usually enrich my all fruit breakfast with dried fruit/raisins otherwise I will get hungry again too soon.

I don't have a dehydrator either. I think it's cheaper to buy them dried than make your own.

·
Banned
559 Posts
i can eat six whole, fresh pinapples at one sitting, oatmeal.

you wimp!

man, that would just be painful.

i used to be addicted to dried apricots. dried dates. dried figs. raisins. dried mangoes. dried papaya. dried pinapple. it was bad..but apparently i had my fill, cause i dont eat much dried fruit anymore. (at least not in the crazy quantities i once did many moons ago)

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i'm a dried fruit fiend too...

i think it made me put on abit of weigh when i needed to, but now i'm stable it's all good...

i totally understand your addiction...

sometimes i get in the car and drive in to the supermarket at odd hours when only dried figs will do!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
it's very nice to know that i am not the only dried fruit addict!!! though i try not to indulge myself too much cos i believe that too much of anything is never good. or at least tht is what i tell myself to peel myself off the cravings!!!!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I used to be addicted to driets fruits and sweets and now I just use the dried fruits in cereals and I occasionally have a sweet.

I am also trying to get away from sugar and I also use fructose instead of sugar.

I love those Alternative Baking Company Cookies every once in a while. Shannon/Zimma

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
you just leave them outside?

i'd thought it was done in the oven or something. i was wondering about it the other day too cause i'd like to do apple and banana chips. i'd be more likely to eat them than fresh apples and bananas.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Yup! Also, if it doesn't dry in one day, I just leave it out for 2 days - don't even bother with bringing the stuff in.

You can have it more complicated too, though. I've read some websites and they tell you what to do - like they say some fruit has to be prepared (blanched?) before drying. Also, you can use ascorbic acid and others to keep the fruit from browning while it gets dry.

But this guy...

<-------

... likes no complicated things, and he also likes foods in their natural form. So I just don't give a damn.

BTW: see how the pro's are doing it...

http://www.rawfoodinfo.com/pictures/pic_apricot.html

I love those pics!

Lately I've been doing sun-dried raw breads and crackers (made with sprouted wheat and other grains). It works great.

p.s. Yes - you can do it in an oven too if you leave the door slightly open I think...

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
i think if i left it outside the squirrels would make off with it. so i may try the oven thing. lowest possible heat with the door open.

my mom dried apple slices this way once actually, to make a wreath for christmas. i had totally forgotten about that. they didn't brown that much aside from the skin

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.