VeggieBoards banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anyone had any experience grinding dry, uncooked beans, lentils, and rice (brown) to add to smoothies?

I mainly use these different items in my morning smoothies (cooked/rice, or pre-cooked/canned beans), but sometimes it's a pain having to cook them and then refrig/worry about how long they keep.

If would seem that grinding uncooked brown rice and/or other things like chickpeas, split peas, etc. into a "flour" could help with digestion and solubility, so then just scooping some of that into my morning smoothie would be easier.

Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
8,959 Posts
Do your research before trying - don't eat uncooked chickpeas (or kidney beans, never ever soy beans....)flour or not!
The only ones I know are ok are peas and brown rice.
Don't forget things like wheat germ, matcha, turmeric and other spices

·
Give peas a chance
1,715 Posts
I can't seem to find any info from a credible source, but I've read there are toxins in some types of uncooked beans. Red Kidney beans come to mind as a big no-no. There might be more info from raw food sites or forums.

You could try running cooked beans through a food processor or blender to turn them into paste, then freezing them in ice cube trays. Then you don't have to worry about them going bad.

Or you might try PB2. It's peanut flour with the fat removed. It adds a lot of protein to a smoothie without adding the fat.

Reactions: David3

·
Vegan since 1991
3,660 Posts
Has anyone had any experience grinding dry, uncooked beans, lentils, and rice (brown) to add to smoothies?

I mainly use these different items in my morning smoothies (cooked/rice, or pre-cooked/canned beans), but sometimes it's a pain having to cook them and then refrig/worry about how long they keep.

If would seem that grinding uncooked brown rice and/or other things like chickpeas, split peas, etc. into a "flour" could help with digestion and solubility, so then just scooping some of that into my morning smoothie would be easier.

Any suggestions?

As others have already warned, uncooked dry beans should never be eaten. Beans must be cooked before eating: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phytohaemagglutinin

·
Vegan since 1991
3,660 Posts

Any suggestions?

"Bob's Red Mill" sells flour made from (cooked) beans. You can find it at health food stores, at many supermarkets, and online:

Trader Joe's markets (you have a few of them in Georgia) actually sell pre-cooked lentils, sold in a sterile bag. They require no refrigeration until they are opened.

In almost any supermarket, you can also buy canned cooked beans and lentils (get the kind without added salt). Just rinse the "can liquid" from the beans before eating (the "can liquid" is kind of gross, though harmless).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts