VeggieBoards banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep reading recipes that say to drain tofu. Does that mean I'm supposed to squish it till all the liquid is gone? won't it turn crumbly? I can only find two kinds of tofu where I live, firm, and that soft flavoured stuff. I've never found extra firm.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Put your tofu on a plate, then put another plate on top of the tofu with something heavy enough to make the water come slowly out of the tofu, without squishing the tofu. After a puddle forms on the plate, pour it into the sink while holding the plates together (tofu in the middle) Repeat.<br><br><br><br>
That's the way I do it.

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
That's pretty much the same way I do it. I'll either wrap it in a paper towel or just press it with just the 2 plates (draining twice, like mushroom said). Most of the recipes that I've found say to drain/press your tofu for 15-20 minutes. If you want a more firm texture, press for long time. The only time it goes "crumbly" is if you're using silken (it will say "silken" on the package) but if you're using the stuff that doesn't say silken, then you should be able to press it without fear of crumbles.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I'm pretty sure that when a recipe says "drain" they don't mean "press". They just mean take the tofu out of the tub and dump the water out. You might let it sit in a colander for a few minutes to make sure it's well drained.<br><br><br><br>
Pressing tofu is something quite different. When you press tofu you are getting some/most of the water out of it.

·
Banned
6 Posts
Dry tofu is much tastier!
But drying it by hand has been exhausting... :D
I read about this tofu press that dries tofu in 15mins and I bought it. I can't be happier, tbh it made my vegan life so much easier... It hurts to even think back at the time I used to waste so many paper towels to dry my tofu, or when I used plates... This press is cheap and re-usable, and it is absolutely my favorite cooking appliance!!
I found out about it here: 31 Kitchen Tools And Gadgets That People Actually Swear By
I bought it form Tofu Bud and even got free delivery, it was really cheap

1 - 7 of 7 Posts