VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Indeed. I believe we have a right to decide that we no longer want to be on this Earth, that we have as much a right to death as we do a right to life.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberlily1983 View Post

Indeed. I believe we have a right to decide that we no longer want to be on this Earth, that we have as much a right to death as we do a right to life.
Very much agreed. I leaned the other way on this topic until I watched my dad succumb to cancer. He suffered so much and there was no need for it. I wish we could have helped him when he told us daily, "I want to go home."

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Phew, I thought I was going to come into this thread and be the weirdo who thinks he didn't do anything wrong or immoral.

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
That's so sad

·
Registered
982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoia View Post

Phew, I thought I was going to come into this thread and be the weirdo who thinks he didn't do anything wrong or immoral.
Me too. I've seen plenty of the other camp at other sources. It's a pleasant surprise to not be alone on this.

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
I was just reading some comments about this on CNN. I only read the first page of comments, but most commenters actually mourned his passing. Those who rejoiced in his death were in the minority. So he had more supporters than one would expect, I think.

·
Registered
8,130 Posts
I think he raised some interesting issues that needed to be raised. But I don't know if I can agree with all of his actions, especially in a few specific cases.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by das_nut View Post

I think he raised some interesting issues that needed to be raised. But I don't know if I can agree with all of his actions, especially in a few specific cases.
I agree and although I cannot immediately recall specific examples, I believe there were a few cases I questioned. Overall though I support the right to die with dignity.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Its sad. And it was people who were going to die no matter what who he helped...

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
I've always been a quiet supporter too. Glad to see so many here agree......I think what he did was appropriate in some cases, and usually only as a last resort. As a health care worker, I see families drag out their loved ones lives for much too long, for thier own needs, despite what the patient wants.

·
Registered
8,130 Posts
There was one where the woman was diagnosed with early-onset Alzheimer's.

My impression of her was that she wasn't suffering, but wanted to kill herself before she suffered.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger View Post

I agree and although I cannot immediately recall specific examples, I believe there were a few cases I questioned. Overall though I support the right to die with dignity.
Our animal companions have the right to die with dignity, why don't humans? Bloody well make no sense to me.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Quote:

There was one where the woman was diagnosed with early-onset Alzheimer's.

My impression of her was that she wasn't suffering, but wanted to kill herself before she suffered.
I worked with a woman who had a husband suffering from Alzheimer's. She told me, after seeing what her husband goes through she would take her life if she were ever diagnosed. It can be hard to determine the line at which assisted suicide is acceptable. Do you end life before or after the quality changes? I believe it should be everyone's personal right to make the decision on how and when they die... even if that choice is to simply let Nature take Her course.

·
Registered
8,130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceLoveKnit View Post

I worked with a woman who had a husband suffering from Alzheimer's. She told me, after seeing what her husband goes through she would take her life if she were ever diagnosed. It can be hard to determine the line at which assisted suicide is acceptable. Do you end life before or after the quality changes? I believe it should be everyone's personal right to make the decision on how and when they die... even if that choice is to simply let Nature take Her course.
If someone is suicidal due to depression, should we look the other way while they kill themselves?

·
Registered
982 Posts
Quote:

If someone is suicidal due to depression, should we look the other way while they kill themselves?
I consider mental illness a whole different ball o' wax, because the brain is not functioning in a healthy way and makes decision making sketchy... but ultimately the decision is still theirs. I'm not advocating that we all go off ourselves the minute we find out we're sick. It's obviously a decision that should be weighed out carefully, because you can't undo your choice.

·
Registered
8,130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceLoveKnit View Post

I consider mental illness a whole different ball o' wax, because the brain is not functioning in a healthy way and makes decision making sketchy... but ultimately the decision is still theirs. I'm not advocating that we all go off ourselves the minute we find out we're sick. It's obviously a decision that should be weighed out carefully, because you can't undo your choice.
How about people who have a future of a long, lengthy expensive illness and worry about losing their home?

·
Registered
6,609 Posts
I think people should be allowed to take their own lives if they want, but I've always been freaked out at how Dr. Kevorkian made this his life's mission, built his little death devices, and participated in the deaths of so many people. It's almost as if he might have liked it. Plus, I know there are allegations that he might have been too hasty with certain patients, who may not have been terminally ill at all.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.