VeggieBoards banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a laptop recently that has Norton Internet Security installed and some sort of trial version of Microsoft Office. I did not want to purchase Microsoft Office, so figured I'd download and install OpenOffice instead.

Here's where I made my first mistake. I Googled "Open Office" and the first site that popped up was something like www.opensource.openoffice.com . My second mistake was to fail to make a note of the exact name of the website.

I downloaded the Open Office setup file, but Norton Internet Security "zapped" it as malware. That is, when I tried to "Open" the file or "Open the Containing Folder," both these choices were greyed out. I was confused by this. So I tried downloading it again with the same result.

I tried Googling "Open Office" again a couple of times, and the site I visited appeared once or twice but disappeared after subsequent Googles. So it appears that the site has disappeared.

The moral of the story is to beware of trying to download software by Googling from whatever sites pop up.

The official site of Open Office is http://www.openoffice.org/

Be safe and download from this site or from some reputable download site like CNET or the like.

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spang View Post

What web browser were you using?
Firefox.

BTW, I posted this message on another forum and someone recommended using the Web of Trust add-on.

www.mywot.com

I had never heard of this before. What can you tell me about it?

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Summer View Post

OpenOffice? That's just so 2010
The new kid in town is LibreOffice, which is truly free, unlike OpenOffice which is now in the clammy hands of Oracle.
http://www.libreoffice.org/
What do you mean by "truly" free? How is Open Office not "truly" free?

I know virtually nothing about Oracle.

Quote:
On 1 June 2011, Oracle announced that the code base of OpenOffice had been proposed for submission to the Apache Software Foundation's as an Incubator project.[8] On 13 June, it was officially accepted as an incubator project.[9]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Office#Ownership

It seems like Oracle gave control of the software to the Apache Software Foundation.

·
Banned
3,641 Posts
Here is what I understand about the situation:

Oracle gained Sun(the Java people who acquired Open Office) last year. Oracle isn't real big on giving stuff away for free, so there probably won't be much development in Open Office any time soon. But since Open Office is open-sourced, other people have branched out and continued development.

Indian Summer's link to LibreOffice is the best offshoot(and continuation) to Open Office.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Wasn't aware of this change. I've been a fan of Open Office for a long, long time (except for the spreadsheet program, which has always been a bit underpowered compared to Excel). I'll have to check out LibreOffice out of curiosity.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts