VeggieBoards banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do people really need mobile phones?

People got along ok without them for the majority of human existence why are they so important now?

I dont want my mobile phone.

I stopped watching TV when i was in my early 20s. I only watch it at my G/Fs house now cause she does and at my parents place for the same reason.

I dont want broadband. I could survive on dial up... sigh.

I think I could live without all this crap but Im stuck because people in my life ostracise me because I dont like it and hardly use it. If I got rid of it they would outcast me or disown me or in the case of my G/F probably leave me.

Anyone else out there that feels the same?

p.s. I love modern technology but I hate the way that if I dont have it then im outcast by society in general

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
What do you do if you dont watch TV?
- I read books
- listen to music
- I go for walks or out in general

How would you communicate with people?
- I have a land line and a dedicated work line.
- I check my emails on a regular basis.
- I am on facebook.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anyone seen eek the cat and the terrible thunder lizards?

"When will the hurting stop."

hehe

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
If I could have it my way, I'd send the entire world back to the stone age. But I can't, so in response to modern realities over which I have no control, I have a smart phone which I use primarily for Angry Birds, am a computer nerd, exercise to keep myself in shape despite the fact that physical strength is becoming obsolute, and have given up hunting woolly mammoths and instead eat tofu and imported coconuts :p

·
Registered
10,153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindred View Post

People got along ok without them for the majority of human existence why are they so important now?

I don't want my mobile phone.

I stopped watching TV when i was in my early 20s. I only watch it at my G/Fs house now cause she does and at my parents place for the same reason.

I don't want broadband. I could survive on dial up... sigh.

I think I could live without all this crap but I'm stuck because people in my life ostracise me because I don't like it and hardly use it. If I got rid of it they would outcast me or disown me or in the case of my G/F probably leave me.

p.s. I love modern technology but I hate the way that if I dont have it then im outcast by society in general
Do you want a cookie or a Bozo pin?

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
I reluctantly got a cell phone (the term mobile phone is still used, but seems antiquated to me--more relevant to the Miami Vice era) within the past three years or so. The main reason was that my vehicle would break down at the most inconvenient times, there are almost no pay phones available today as compared with 15 or 20 years ago, so I'd end up having to borrow someone else's cellphone to call AAA (who would demand the ability to call you back), etc.

I got the cheapest one I could find and only use it very sparingly.

I don't think anyone has yet tried to treat me as an "outcast" for not always using the latest technology. I try not to let people manipulate me that way. If they want to "ostracize" me, I'll just find other people to associate with.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
You are not the only person who feels this way. I know plenty of people who don't have cell phones or TVs. What I hate most about having a cell phone is that people expect you to be available to them at all times. I don't remember that being the case when I didn't have one. But now, if I don't answer my phone, people FREAK OUT and demand to know why I didn't answer.

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
Quote:

I don't want my mobile phone.
I, too, don't have a mobile phone. I am with Joe that's it a nice thing to have if your car broke down in the middle of nowhere, which I'm all to familiar with. :p I hate texting, and I hate other people texting. It's $124 fine if you're caught text, and, possibly, someone's life if you aren't.

Quote:

The only things I watch are baseball games and M*A*S*H reruns. I can listen to ball games on the radio, and reruns do get old after awhile.

Quote:

I don't want broadband. I could survive on dial up... sigh.

I think I could live without all this crap but I'm stuck because people in my life ostracise me because I don't like it and hardly use it. If I got rid of it they would outcast me or disown me or in the case of my G/F probably leave me.

I love my internet, and broadband in particular. I have a sister that lives in Australia and has 2 kids, that we see only once a year, so e-mail and facebook are good for that. I don't think society would disown or outcast you for that. Be yourself, and if it means no cell phone or tv set...so much the better.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I have a very basic flip phone with the lowest and cheapest plan I could get. I keep it for emergencies only. Most months I use zero minutes.

Not giving up TV.

I have thought about the internet. Lived fine without it. Didn't have that expense. But it's here now and I don't think I would want to be without it. Some times it's over the top. For example I noticed tonight I have 299 patterns saved to favorites on Ravelry. No way will I ever knit or crochet all those items. I don't think I could go back to dial up. It was so so slow.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Quote:

like others have mentioned, i need mine mainly for emergency purposes...car troubles, calling police on my way to work at 4:30 in the morning to get drunk guy passed out and lying two feet from traffic, earthquakes, stuff like that...also for the sheer convenience of it.
and maybe i watch too many crime dramas and too much news, but it sure seems like a lot of crimes are getting solved thanks to cell phones.

but i know a lot of folks who feel the same way you do about all of it, so you're not alone there. anyone who would ostracize you for those reasons sounds like someone not worth it.

p.s. am not familiar with this "Eek the Cat and the Terrible Thunder Lizards" but they sound like fun...will definitely check them out.

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
I find having a cellphone is a wonderful convenience. When I have to make or receive important phone calls and I'm at work or out somewhere else, it's better for me to have a cellphone than rely on the office phone, which I don't like to use for personal calls, and who can find a pay phone anywhere anymore?

I grew up on TV so I can't live without it.

And I do have dial up, but I feel like a dinosaur. If somebody has dial up and their computer starts getting older and slowing down, it takes FOREVER and a day for a page to load. It's very frustrating. I'm planning to switch to high speed just as soon as I can. It seems like everything on the internet is designed for high speed and WiFi these days anyway. I can't watch videos on dial up!

And as for smart phones, I don't have one, but that's because I always tend to lag behind current technology. (I still had an analog phone when everyone else started buying digital phones.) I have a flip phone that's 7(!) years old, so I'm due for a new cellphone and my next one is definitely going to be a smart phone. I just have to decide which one I want. And I think a lot of those smart phone apps are really very cool. Last December when my Dad was in the hospital, my sister and I were there with him, and she brought her iPad along and let me play with it. I LOVED this gadget! I love new technology but can't always afford to rush out and buy it right away and I always struggle to keep up with changing technology. I do feel like a dinosaur, an outcast.

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoia View Post

But now, if I don't answer my phone, people FREAK OUT and demand to know why I didn't answer.
Holy crap yes!!!!!! My mom has freaked out to the point where she's almost called 911 several times because I didn't answer my phone.

OP: I think it's pretty sad that your gf would break up with you just because you won't watch tv

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Heeeey...I remember Eek! the Cat! I was a fan from the first episode, but other than that one, the one where's he's looking for treasure((and is mistaken for the deceased pirate Stumpy Bart), and one revolving around the Squishy Bears where they had to go to the bathroom but the toilet was out, it's all a blur. I do remember that the Terrible Thunderlizards weren't there in the beginning but came around later on.

Damn...that was soooo long ago. You just dredged up one of my few good childhood memories.
(but in a good way)

·
Registered
8,130 Posts
I don't mind having a mobile phone. It's cheaper than a land line. I only have a basic one that texts and calls (and has a horrible camera which I never use).

If I don't want to take a call, I don't. If I want peace and privacy, I turn it off and rely on voice mail.

I don't get the cell phone hate. If you want, just treat it like a regular phone -- plug it in at some location in your house and leave it there.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts