VeggieBoards banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
19,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm surprised PETA hasn't latched on to this. I'm sure they've probably got something of their own in the works.<br><br><br><br><div class="quote-container"><span>Quote:</span>
<div class="quote-block">An MP has asked military leaders in Iraq (news - web sites) to think about some of the forgotten casualties of war -- animals.<br><br><br><br>
Tony Banks, a former minister in Prime Minister Tony Blair's Labour government, welcomed promises from London and Washington that troops would do their best to avoid hitting ordinary Iraqis in bombing raids, but said they also needed to think about the creatures in Baghdad's El-Zawra Zoo.<br><br><br><br>
"In war, countless numbers of animals are killed and injured," the former sports minister, who voted against war on Iraq, said in an statement put before parliament on Friday.<br><br><br><br>
He appealed to military leaders "to ensure that Baghdad's El-Zawra zoo is safeguarded and that when hostilities are over military vets will provide urgent assistance to the zoo and other organisations involved with animal welfare in Iraq."<br><br><br><br>
The zoo, which is reported to be shut and under renovation, escaped bomb damage during the 1991 allied blitz on Baghdad but keepers said the animals had been disturbed by the noise of bombs hitting nearby targets.<br><br><br><br>
The cause of suffering creatures always gains huge publicity in Britain, whose animal-loving citizens have a reputation for caring more about their pets than fellow humans.<br><br><br><br>
"I know that some might say 'why are you concerned about the animals', but someone has to be," he told Reuters. "We know what our own dogs and pets are like on fireworks night."<br><br><br><br>
It is not the first time Banks has gone into battle to protect animals in a war zone. In 2001, he championed the cause of Marjan, a lame one-eyed lion in Kabul Zoo when the U.S. carried out bombing raids in Afghanistan to oust the Taliban regime.<br><br><br><br>
Marjan, who had survived numerous battles, communism, the Taliban and the U.S. bombing campaign, died of old age in a blaze of international publicity shortly afterwards.</div>
</div>
<br><br><br><a href="http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&cid=857&ncid=757&e=10&u=/nm/20030321/od_uk_nm/oukoe_iraq_britain_zoo" target="_blank">http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...aq_britain_zoo</a>

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
I hadn't even thought that there might be a zoo in the middle of it.<br><br>
I posted this on VegWeb. I'm not sure if this is the right place to put it. I wont be upset if it gets deleted.<br><br><div class="quote-container"><span>Quote:</span>
<div class="quote-block">Tim called me in the wee hours of the morning today. It was great to hear from him and know that his is okay, but he did tell me something that saddened me very much. He is toward the rear of the convoy. He comes in after much of the battle has been done.<br><br>
He was walking through an area that had been bombed (he is very close to Baghdad) and noticed some puppies. They were old enough to be weaned, but still young. Their mother was there too. She was dead from gunshots. The pups were eating her.<br><br>
Yesterday at work, I was talking to a guy that was in Desert Storm. He was telling me about something that had happened while he was there. Apparently, some soldiers had heard a loud noise in the dark in an area that was suppose to be clear. They opened fire. Lots and lots of shooting. It was only a camel. When they discovered it there wasn't much left. The man told me it like it was a funny story.<br><br>
I'm sure plenty more animals and their homes are destroyed with all that is going on. Wounded animals are left to suffer and die.<br><br><br><br>
I also see how this affects the animals here in the US. There are so many free to good home ads in the papers now, due to soldiers deploying. Often, spouses decide to move back in with their families and aren't able to take their animals, so they give them up. I've also been seeing several more stray animals wandering around.<br><br>
It's just so heart breaking.</div>
</div>
<br>

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
I lived on an estate once that was half army houses, and the men got posted to N Ireland. There were loads of stray cats left behind, there just weren't enough homes for them to go to. I ended up with a pregnant cat who went on to have six kittens.<br><br>
Damn wars. I don't suppose the animals in Iraq are getting any or much drinking water, all the news mentions water shortages and baking heat and hospitals with no water.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
This just reminded me of this kids book about zoo elephants killed during a war. The book made my cry, so I cant understand how it can be for kids. Anyone know what I'm talking about? I remember hearing it from a class for the teaching credential program. I quickly added to my list of books I cant read to my students bc I'd be crying to hard to get through the whole thing.

·
Registered
0 Posts
The armies don't seem to care about shooting innocent civilians and their own allies alike, so why should we expect them to make an extra effort to avoid harming animals?<br><br><br><br>
As always, it is poor, defenceless and innocent beings that get destroyed in senseless wars like this.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Well that isn't entirely true. My husband actually cares very much. In fact, the last time we spoke, he told me that because of what he is seeing over there, he is finally going to go vegetarian. He also leaves food and water for the dogs when he leaves a site.<br><br>
This probably was the wrong thread for me to discuss it in. Sorry. My fault.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts