Banned
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has tons of vegan stuff!
-generic brands of cookies that don't contain milk or eggs
-west soy lowfat soy milk
-maamba (like starburst)
-eyeliner! The roll on kind
actually had "cruelty-free" sign on the back!

I was shocked.... =0

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Yep love the dollar stores. There's a whole long thread about it in the Frugal Forum about all the stuff that has been found there.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix Days View Post

Dollar stores aren't really dollar stores in Canada anymore.
What has changed?

I too like the dollar store. I get socks there. I've even found USA made items including glassware because I don't like to put my good ones in the dishwasher.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Quote:

Things are more than a dollar
I've wondered if that might happen here some day. Dollar and a quarter or dollar and a half store? Probably at some point.

·
Registered
388 Posts
The products have already been getting smaller and some have gone away completely. Ours used to have about 1/4 of an aisle of cheap clothes...like really cheap and thin, but they were there. Now they aren't.

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
Quote:

Things are more than a dollar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa View Post

I've wondered if that might happen here some day. Dollar and a quarter or dollar and a half store? Probably at some point.
Yeah, most things start at $1.25 where I live. Still pretty good, I guess.

·
Banned
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oops I don't go into the frugal forum lol.
Everythings a dollar. They even have a frozen section I was like whatttt

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
The Poundlands and 99p stores we have here have all kinds of treats suitable for vegans if you poke around.

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
Yeah, we have the 99 Cents Only Stores around here, and for a long time everything really was 99 cents (sometimes two items for 99 cents). Now some items are actually a little more than that.

I once drove past a store in the mid-city area called One Dollar, Mas o Meno. Truth in Advertising, at last!

·
Registered
922 Posts
I love 99c, $ stores as well as poundland in the UK. You certainly can pick up quite a selection of food.

We don't get anything like them over here so I always make a point of stocking up when I visit the States and UK.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessickah View Post

Has tons of vegan stuff!
-west soy lowfat soy milk
Isn't that the one that waters down the soy milk? I always check the protein content to make sure they're not cheatin' me (should be 6-8 grams of protein per serving).

I don't often shop at dollar stores because I assume everything is made in china and has lead in it or tastes terrible. Maybe I'll give it a shot.

·
Registered
178 Posts
My dollar store has tons of vegan stuff. Too though it also carries some really nasty things. The cake mix there has beef flavoring added to it though if you buy muffin mix its vegan....weird

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
They're called Dollar Tree here and they rock. I got a pair of sunglasses there. I get compliments on them, "Nice sunglasses!" I laugh and say, "I got 'em for one dollar!", LOL!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeggieMuffin74 View Post

My dollar store has tons of vegan stuff. Too though it also carries some really nasty things. The cake mix there has beef flavoring added to it though if you buy muffin mix its vegan....weird
Dollar store beef cakes?! What?!

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlainWinthrope View Post

Isn't that the one that waters down the soy milk? I always check the protein content to make sure they're not cheatin' me (should be 6-8 grams of protein per serving).

I don't often shop at dollar stores because I assume everything is made in china and has lead in it or tastes terrible. Maybe I'll give it a shot.
Oddly enough, the low-fat Westsoy is watered down (has 4g of protein/8 fl oz.) but the Non-fat variety doesn't appear to be and has 6 grams of protein.

Both taste like gross, IMHO.

·
Banned
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i liked it.
(i was also living a fridge-less motel for week after my house flooded and this was the only soy milk that was cheap enough to..put in ice for a day..then a throw away so my opinion may be biased lol)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts