VeggieBoards banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's not quite the Stupid Things Omnivores Say thread, and it's not quite the Nasty Restaurant Surprises thread... it's a weird amalgam of both! For those times when you just have to smack your forehead and go...

At Italian Restaurant...

Me: Does your minestrone have chicken broth in it?

Waiter (brightly): Oh, no ma'am...

Me: Great--

Waiter: ... it has beef broth.

At Thanksgiving dinner, my cousin proudly shows off a huge pan of homemade cornbread dressing... this is separate from the dressing that was actually cooked with the turkey.

Me: So did you put chicken broth in that dressing?

Him (proudly): Three cans, why?

I'm sure we must have 1001 moments like these, not necessarily related to non-veg ingredients, but just related to being veg*n generally...

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
few years back:

* "Is this soup vegetarian?"

- "yes. Theres no meat in it."

/ i take a sip - find a peice of pork

* "I thought you said this had no meat in it..."

- "Theres no meat, but we used pork stock to give it flavor."

* "... um..."

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
At a friend's apartment who just made some ww fetuccini with EVOO, I went and snagged a noodle from her bowl. It tasted kinda funny so I asked her what else she put in it to make it taste funny. She said "Oh, I added some chicken bullion for flavor".

~Wonder

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
At a church potluck, about three months after I went vegetarian:

My grandma: (teasing voice) I bet there's meat in everything here, even that fruit salad.

Me: No, don't be silly. It's just fruit and whipped cream.

Then later I find bits of shredded chicken hidden under the whipped cream and overhear the woman who made it describing the ingredients. It really was chicken.

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Chicken in a fruit salad?? There's a head-scratcher. Of course, I used to put fruit in my chicken salad all the time, but somehow chicken in a fruit salad seems a lot more bizarre.

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
--"Have a Rice Krispy treat."

Me: "No thanks"

--"Why not? Diet?"

Me: "No, the marshmallows. I'm vegan, don't eat marshmallows, long story"

--"Oh yeah, marshmallows are made with butter aren't they?"

Me (Stupidly continuing this conversation when I could have just left it alone...) "No, gelatin. They have gelatin, made from animal hooves and stuff."

--"Oh yeah, some marshmallows do. But these don't, I used the white marshmallows, they're safe."

·
Registered
0 Posts
my fiance and i are invited ro friends bbq.

me..i am gonna bring some veggie dishes including a salad so you do dont have to worry about that.

friend- dont be silly we will have meatless dishes

me..like what??

friend..we are bbqing chicken..thats not meat its foul right??

me--come on you cant be serious..yes its meat...and alive..i dont eat anything with a face...or that has feelings..

they were shocked and still dont consider chicken or turkey or fish meat..

·
Registered
185 Posts
At our first Thanksgiving after going veg my husband's aunt told us that she made us our own pan of dressing with no meat. I asked if she used veggie stock and she looked at me like my head was on backward and said no, she used chicken broth, but that there was no meat put in it, just broth. We told her we really appreciated the gesture but we didn't eat broth either since an animal still had to die to make it. I still don't think she understood.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Bride-to-be: So you won't eat the cheesecake we're serving for dessert, right?

TJ: Nope.

B2B: Their vegan options are a fruit cup. And Jell-O.

TJ: Erm..........I'll have the fruit cup please.

I know I've had WAY better d'oh moments...I just can't seem to shake the Monday cobwebs well enough to access them.

Cool thread BTW.

Cheers!

TJ

11,550 Posts
at a school residential trip, when i was aged 10, the four vegetarians amongst our group were summoned to meet the chef and work out our special meals for the week.

chef: "so you guys are all vegetarians, huh?"

us: *all nod*

chef: "so who eats fish?"

3 of us: *raise hands*

4th: Looks as us all like we're all very stupid (which we apparently were!) while thinking to herself *fish?.... is a vegetable? D'oh!*

......yes.... i once, all be it as a child, was one of those fish eating people who think they're vegetarian. *hangs head in shame*

·
Registered
9,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylark View Post

At a church potluck, about three months after I went vegetarian:

My grandma: (teasing voice) I bet there's meat in everything here, even that fruit salad.

Me: No, don't be silly. It's just fruit and whipped cream.

Then later I find bits of shredded chicken hidden under the whipped cream and overhear the woman who made it describing the ingredients. It really was chicken.
That's just wierd.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts