VeggieBoards banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Cesar starts chemo today. The first drug given is supposed to be one of the worst, and his cancer has really progressed over the time since the biopsy. So he could really use any prayers and good thoughts. I'm so worried about him I feel like I'm going to be sick.

I should have caught this sooner.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I'm sorry to hear this, I had two dogs that had cancer, dont beat yourself up over not catching it sooner, we do the best we can, and you sound like a great pet owner. my thoughts are with your baby today.

let us know how it goes,

what kind of cancer?

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
I wish the best to you and your dog Cesar. I think in animals people generally don't notice anything until farther along as they might in a human, so don't blame yourself. Your dog is lucky to have you.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
When I took my dog to the vet for the last time, the vet told me dogs are very good at hiding serious medical problems. You won't notice until it's pretty advanced, and it's not your fault.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Good luck. I hope it all goes well.

I'm not sure if this will help but my dog Talia had cancer, had it operated on but they didn't get it all, so had to go on chemo. After a while the vet concluded that it was too hard on her so we stopped the treatment. Anyway the good news is that she hasn't had any trouble since and is now enjoying her old age and we're more concerned about arthritis and cataracts.

I just wanted to let you know that chemo worked for us, and I hope it works for you as well.

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks all. He actually did quite well yesterday and even came home and ate, which he hasn't done much of all week. Then today it seemed to finally hit him but he didn't get sick until I let him drink loads of water. So I called the vet and he said don't let him drink loads of water all at once. Oops. I guess I thought'd he'd be okay since last night he did so well. I should've know better--it was a strong med.

I think some of his nodes have shrunk a little though.

He most likely has the type that doesn't have as long a survival time but the treatment for both types is the same. The vet didn't have them stain it for type because of the extra cost, and the treatment is the same, and because of xyz he's pretty sure it's T cell. He lost me in the explanation but as long as the treatment is the same, I'm fine with being lost.

I've decided Cesar is just going to have all the fun he can and quit worrying about how much time he might have. After all, he's not worried about it. Then I can beat myself up for not taking him sooner afterwards.

kpickell, he's 5, maybe close to 6 years old, born sometime in 2001.

So he goes again next Monday for the next drug. I hope in a couple days the effects of this one wear off and he wants to eat.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts