VeggieBoards banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
I know dogs will eat just about anything, but geez!

I'm glad both animals are okay.

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Ferret View Post

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17260980/

this was linked at the bottom

now ive heard everything o_O
Oh jeeezus christ!
(no offense to Christians)

There's a poll attached: While most responders, thankfully, think it's silly (not a word *I* would use), 20% think it's a wonderful idea. That's just way too many.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
""The turtle would definitely have caused an obstruction," Thomassy said. "Without cutting it out directly, it eventually would have killed the dog."

I am skeptical about that one. It seems to me that generally, if something can fit down a dog's esophagus and past its cardiac sphincter, into its stomach, without doing serious harm to the esophagus and sphincter, it will also get past the stomach into the intestines, and past the rest of the sphincters, until it is ejected. After awhile it will decrease in size, due to the action of digestive enzymes. The only exceptions would be sharp objects that somehow beat the odds and avoid getting snagged by the esophagus or cardiac sphincter, but due to the longer length of the rest of the gastro-intestinal tubing, have increased odds of getting snagged along the way.

·
Registered
267 Posts
There are loads of storys of dogs who manage to swallow things whole and end up blocked with them. Like string, and grass, and tennis balls. I think it is usually somewhere in the intestines that it ends up causing a problem.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
I like happy endings. I hope the turtle's shell heals up ok.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts