VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Subject says it all. I'm working for myself now, so it doesn't for me. But I may have to take a job soon, my first since becoming vegan a year ago, and I'm realizing that some jobs are now off limits. For instance, I couldn't allow myself to serve hamburgers or steaks to others.

Anyone else ever deal with this? Stories? Let it all out.

·
Registered
8,440 Posts
I got "fired" before I could quit working for a blood bank, but I was considering to quit myself for the link to animal testing.

My principes/believes also make me not want to work for companies that make chemicals.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I work in a physical medicine office (we have a chiropractor, massage therapist, MD, etc.) it's very hard for me because the chiro is a competative body builder. He is constantly telling me that "if it's slower and dumber - I will eat it". I have to ask myself.......if he were in the wilderness - would he think the same say as the wolves, etc., were eyeing him up?

We also have another woman who is a vegetarian, but eats fish and I constantly have to tell her that fish DO have feelings and why do you think they are gasping for air and thrashing around? For the fun of it? PLEASE

I keep to myself and know I am laughed at behind my back - however.........I know in my heart that I am doing the right thing and I stand by my beliefs. So far, no one has questioned what I do or how I feel. They just make fun of the things I eat. Funny.....when I manage to throw my lunch in the microwave to heat it up...........my food never manages to stink up the place AND every comes and takes a look! THIS is when I can make my statement for going vegan!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Before the job I currently have, I worked at a restaurant/pub that was extremely veg-friendly, but still served hamburgers and some meat sandwiches. I loathed taking those orders and serving them, but it felt like a decent trade-off because the place was so veg-friendly.

But as for the job I have now, besides being the only vegan there, there's not much conflict at all.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Still being in High School and living in a small town in northern Minnesota definetly has it's drawbacks when looking for a decent paying veg- friendly job (I'm graduating in May.. and I need to save money for college). The best money that I can make is found in waitressing, and we don't have any REALLY veg-friendly resturants within 300 miles of here. So yes, I work at a very americanized chinese resturant, which serves everything from chicken, to pork, to beef, to shrimp, steaks.. you name it. They do have one vegan dish... 'Vegetable tofu' which is the closest thing I could find to veg-friendly in my town.

It disgusts me that I'm working in such a place, but there is little that I can do about it until I move to Minneapolis in August. Once there, I plan on getting a job waitressing at a veggie resturant.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Hasn't affected me at all. I work in an office project managing complex voice lines (800 numbers for call centers, etc.) There were a few places that were hiring when I was looking for a job that I absolutely refused to apply at--one being Omaha Steaks.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Not at all, I'm a tutor, and my students know I'm veg*n. The only problem I have is the sh*tty selection of veg foods at the refectory.

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
Hm.. I work in the preservation lab in a library. A lot of the tools we use are made from bone, and lord knows what's in the glue... It gets to be an interesting issue. I try to avoid using things I know are derived from an animal source... But still. I work there, I bite my tongue. I feel sort of hypocritical some days, but I guess any job comes with it's own bit of cruelty. Heck, even if I worked for a non-profit animal rights group... The leaflets I would be passing out would be made on paper from trees that when cut, destroyed someone's habitat...

There is no cruelty-free job.

·
Registered
0 Posts
It's basically a non-issue for me.

I usually bring my food, and have scouted out veg-friendly places within my precinct; most of my coworkers know and nobody has given me a hard time about it (in fact, last precinct barbecue, the guy organizing it actually bought some tofu dogs, which was very unexpected).

I bought my leathers before I was really educated about the issue; I expect most of them, like my gunbelt, to last me for the rest of my career. Non-leather alternatives will be utilized as smaller bits need replacing.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The dog-sitting gig I have this weekend is great, because my employers are vegan, and they encouraged me to eat whatever I want. Seitan steaks, broccoli, and quinoa-herb blend tonight! Mmm.

I start training for a new job next week. It doesn't involve animals in any way I can think of, so really my only concern is bringing in my own lunches.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I'm a nanny. The family is very respectful of my "veggieness" and they keep the freezer stocked with all kinds of goodies for me and are very thoughtful that way--edamame, Gardenburgers, Amy's stuff. Unfortunately, though, they do expect me to feed meat to the baby (13 months). To make it a little easier for me, it's all pre-cooked, so I never have to prepare raw meat. Fortunately, though, she loves tofu, and they're happy with her having it several times a week! So I only have to give her meat a couple of days a week; otherwise, the family's diet is largely plant-based.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I work in a school. I'm never really sure if I am having an impact or not. I encourage the children to stop making faces when they hear the word "tofu" (whats up with that instant face?) and to show respect for lives that they would otherwise thoughtlessly squish just because it is an insect. They like to know what I eat and why I don't eat Jell-O or milk. They are open to what I eat and how I think about different issues but few of them have become veggie or vegan because of me. Of those who have I cannot say it was because of my influence. Still, as a group, they love MickyD's.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I manage the development of websites for a living, and worked at a company who were going to pitch for the McDonalds online contract.

I told them that I wouldn't have anything to do with a site like that, and fortunately we ended up winning a lingerie website contract instead. So I swapped death burgers for skimpy knickers which seemed like a pretty good deal!

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
One reason I'm in favor of veg*n items at fast food restaurants is that it will foster acceptance of the stuff among kids.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
I work at an elementary school and at a tutoring center. My veggie ways are absolutly no problem. In fact, I find that all my co-workers are very intrested in it. I have had a couple of people ask me for suggestions for them turning veg*n. Of course I always reccomend that they go to this site for support.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I teach and as kamila said the kids make a face when they here the word tofu. Well a few are like it's good and I have 1 vegetarian student. We are studying China and I put together a lesson on the origins of tofu and am bringing some in to let them tatse if they like. There are 3 other vegatarians on staff though when they provide food often i bring something from hokme since I am often forgot about even if the vegetarians aren't. When we do potlucks there are quite a few people who make an efford to bring things I can eat. My lasy job was as a reading tutor for students learning English as a second language and I was the weird vegan there. While in college I worked in the Children's Discovery Museum here in SJ and the staff there was supper veg'an friendly. I was the only vegan (st first, I inspired another coworkerto go vegan) but there were a almost a dozen of lacto vegetarians and when work provided food they always had vegan options. I remember thing it was so cool one of my non veg'an coworkers called the mexican place we got food from to see if the beans were vegan. Very cool and respectful.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts