VeggieBoards banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
The current food issue is one of the most sensitive issues. In order to follow profits, people are willing to produce food and materials that are not guaranteed to be sold to consumers. That makes those who use those products suffer from very dangerous diseases. To limit that, many people have chosen to be vegetarian. They see it as a way to purify their body, making their body healthier. I do not know if such a vegetarian diet lacks nutrients and lowers blood pressure? Hope everyone can give me the answer.
Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello VirgilKlein--I believe being a vegetarian can lower your blood pressure. I am 69 years of age and my BP is usually about 106/58 or so, it can fluctuate by a few points but it has always been low. I chose to become a vegetarian when I was 15 years of age in spite of my family on a regular meat diet. I didn't have it easy because I liked to eat meat. So I bought some of the vegetarian substitutes and learned how to cook with them and this helped me tremendously.

I have also chosen to cut down on dairy products but have not made it a hard and fast rule. I am on no medications other than low thyroid medication. Also I do not believe I've suffered a lack of nutrients in my diet. I do keep my weight down and try to eat as healthy as possible. I will also say my grandfather and my father raised their own cows for beef and both died of heart disease at the age of 68. I believe diet has a lot to do with heart disease and strokes. I highly recommend a vegetarian diet.

·
Super Moderator
8,959 Posts
Hello everyone,
The current food issue is one of the most sensitive issues. In order to follow profits, people are willing to produce food and materials that are not guaranteed to be sold to consumers. That makes those who use those products suffer from very dangerous diseases. To limit that, many people have chosen to be vegetarian. They see it as a way to purify their body, making their body healthier. I do not know if such a vegetarian diet lacks nutrients and lowers blood pressure? Hope everyone can give me the answer.
Thanks everyone.
Just cutting out meat, dairy and eggs has the potential for improving overall health.
It has been proven by evidence based research that a whole food plant based diet can not only lower bp, and cholestoral, but many other diet and lifestyle diseases, like heart disease and type 2 diabetes

·
Registered
46 Posts
There is conflicting information on this. Some studies show that a diet high in fruits, vegetables, and whole grains that includes low amounts of meat is most effective at lowering BP. The DASH diet is specifically intended to address blood pressure and is very effective.

Typically what people call a vegetarian diet is lacto-ovo, meaning including dairy and eggs. Lacto-ovo vegetarian and "Nordic" diets (higher in fish but low in land animals/dairy) appear to be more effective than a vegan diet.

Why isn't vegan as/more effective? No idea. Lots of things contribute to increased BP. Sodium is a big contributor to increased BP, and sodium may abound in diets that rely on processed, packaged mock meats. Alcohol is a contributor. Losing weight, regardless of dietary preference, lowers blood pressure.

Because nutritional science is so complex, I don't like to recommend vegan/vegetarian diets for health reasons. The best arguments for avoiding meat tends to be the ethical ones.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello everyone,
Thanks everyone.
Nevertheless, the investigators found that vegans and lacto-ovo vegetarians had significantly lower systolic and diastolic blood pressure, and significantly lower odds of hypertension (0.37 and 0.57, respectively), when compared to non-vegetarians.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Balance your energy intake. Get adequate plant-based protein. Sources of plant-based protein. Building muscle on a plant-based diet is possible.
Sources of plant-based protein
Soy products.
Tempeh or tofu.
Wholegrain rice, oats, and quinoa.
Nuts and seeds.
Lentils and beans (especially black beans and kidney beans).

Cheers!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts