VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just curious if taking meds like DayQuil increase the length of illness. When my Aunt is sick, she takes lots of meds and will be sick for weeks or months at a time. I was thinking it might suppress our immune systems or something like that. My sister has told me that it's best to just let your own body fight it, but I don't know if there's merit to that either.

I have a sinus infection with lots of coughing and I need to be feeling better tomorrow for my first day of food training for my new position at work. Any suggestions? I'm already taking Emergen-C, drinking lots of hot tea, and while I did work last night, I tried not to overdo it. Thanks

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
I hadn't thought of that. Last time I had a cold, I took decongestants and slept for about 18 hours, and then felt fine. Maybe it depends on the body? I remember I had the hardest time getting rid of colds when I was in high school.

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was just sick too, so I'm bummed right now about suffering again. I was sick for 3 weeks starting on Christmas Eve. I tried taking a hot shower, but it didn't break up anything in my nose. I slept better last night than I did the 2 nights before, but still not as long as I would have liked to.

*Stuffs tissue in nose*

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
No, I don't think there's really any reason to think that taking decongestants or other cold medication would actually prolong the illness. As far as your aunt, some people are just more susceptible to colds and such. Also keep in mind that she might actually be getting different bugs. If she is exposed to a lot of people (particularly kids, if she works with kids or has kids in daycare or school), she could be catching a new virus as soon as she clears the old one.

I don't like the way decongestants make me feel (they make my sinuses feel dry, but still really irritated), so I only take them when I have to work and can't be blowing my nose constantly. I also use a neti pot to help clear out my sinuses - it really helps. It also helps me sleep better if I use a humidifier in my room at night.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Mucinex is pretty good. I would recommend getting it without a decongestant, so you can decide whether or not to take a decongestant too. I did take it regularly the last time I had a cold, and I think it helped me feel better faster. It helps thin mucus both in your lungs and sinuses, so it should help with clearing your sinuses. It is somewhat expensive - the cheapest place I've found it is Target (the generic version, just guaifenesin). I didn't experience any side effects.

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvourmother View Post

Mucinex doesn't work for me, it suppresses my appetite and that's about it.

have you tried irrigating your sinuses yet? It REALLY helps a LOT!!!
My appetite is already suppressed, I haven't felt like eating because of my sickness and I started the Pill on Sunday.

I'm still afraid to do that
I don't like putting anything in my nose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnerVeggie View Post

Mucinex is pretty good. I would recommend getting it without a decongestant, so you can decide whether or not to take a decongestant too. I did take it regularly the last time I had a cold, and I think it helped me feel better faster. It helps thin mucus both in your lungs and sinuses, so it should help with clearing your sinuses. It is somewhat expensive - the cheapest place I've found it is Target (the generic version, just guaifenesin). I didn't experience any side effects.
My Aunt gave me a packet, but I can't seem to find it. Target is my go-to place, I just don't feel like even leaving the house today. I had a box of Mucinex, but I can't remember if I tossed it or not because it was expired. I'll have to explore, see what I can find in the house. Thanks

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

I'm still afraid to do that
I don't like putting anything in my nose.
I'm going to go ahead and be snarky because this is silly.

you can't know that you don't like it if you haven't even tried it yet....

the annoyance of your sinus infection must not be that bad if you are not willing to try options that work, are cheap (free if you already have sea salt), easy, and effective.

please try irrigating, it is very gentle and offers a lot of relief instantly (way faster than oral medications!!!).

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
i used to get frequent sinus infections and they would not get better without antibiotics. the only otc medicine i ever take along with that is zyrtec d but it never affected the length of my illness. but like i said, mine always required antibiotics.

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by zirpkatze View Post

i used to get frequent sinus infections and they would not get better without antibiotics. the only otc medicine i ever take along with that is zyrtec d but it never affected the length of my illness. but like i said, mine always required antibiotics.
The problem with antibiotics is I get a yeast infection every time, without fail. I try to avoid the doctor if possible. My infection isn't nearly as bad as last time, so I'm hoping it just goes away on its own this week. I'm currently taking Claratin for my allergies, but it doesn't seem to do much (it's not the D kind). I think a decongestant would help me a lot, the stuff is just not coming out of my nose very well.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Using a neti pot should not feel like getting water in your nose. The salt in the water makes it feel comfortable, without that burning sensation. You can probably try it without an actual neti pot - try a paper cup. It might get sort of messy. You can also buy plastic neti pots or nasal irrigation squeeze bottles at drug stores.

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
Like RabbitLuvr said, taking OTC decongestants or cough suppressants when you're sick with a cold or flu alleviate the symptoms (excessive mucous and coughing) but won't cure you. Most colds are caused by viruses and there aren't any (prescription or OTC) pharmaceuticals that kill viruses!

If your immune system was weak to begin with (as individuals with weakened immune systems are more likely to come down with colds/flus/bugs more frequently), you're just gonna get sick again.

Your best bet is to get lots of rest, fluids, and food to keep your strength up and let your body fight it. DayQuil and the like are okay to be used during the worst parts of the illness, IMHO.

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I ended up going with the (generic) DayQuil and NyQuil combo pack. I couldn't find a neti pot, but when I go to Target next, I think I'll just cave and buy it. I hope the meds kick in fast.

RL - I think you're completely right, that makes the most sense. Thanks

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
Your immune system's vehicle for killing viruses and getting them out of your body is mucus. If you dry this up, you will stay sick longer, because you have just made it very difficult for your body to remove the viruses.

However, if you feel your congestion is not breaking up, you are likely suffering from inflamed tissues that are swollen.

By the way, ice cream is not a good idea. It produces more mucus, while you are trying to dry up mucus with your cold medicine.

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm severely inflamed in my nose (sinus infection, I've had quite a few), throat, and chest. It all started with chest and throat congestion, so it's very odd that it moved UP. I took DayQuil 5 hours ago and completely knocked out for 4 hours. I stayed congested the entire time I slept, it didn't help with that.

I'm starving, but have no appetite. The only thing that sounded good was Top Ramen and a strawberry shortcake bar, so I fed the beast
Besides that, I'm pretty much avoiding dairy. It felt really good on my throat.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts