VeggieBoards banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not really sure where to put this, I mean I'm a vegan so it counts right? Anyhow for about 2 months I have been very depressed, sometimes I know exactly why, other days I'm just sad because I'm sad. I was wondering, I almost never get any B12 unless I have cereal that day but apart from soymilk I really never get any, will it help if I get some B12 in my body? I looked at a list of the typical things a depressed person would say/do/act like and I noticed that I manage to qualify for all of them. I'm going to go talk to someone soon but again to reiterate should I get more B12?

·
Registered
10,728 Posts
It sure can make you depressed.<br><br>
You may or may not have stores in your system that can carry you over for some time after becoming vegan.<br><br>
Vegans need to supplement B-12.

·
Riot Nrrrd
3,180 Posts
Yeah, but I would look at other reasons too. But like Ahimsa said our bodies need it anyway so you should pay attention to your intake. Just don't rule out the possibility of other things also playing a role.

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Whether or not it's causing your depression you absolutely need to supplement B12. Maybe start taking a good vegan multivitamin?<br><br>
Depression can be caused by a lot of things though, going to a doctor and getting a blood test might be a good place to start if there's nothing in your life that is troubling you but you still feel sad anyway.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well there are a lot of things bothering me, but sometimes I'm just sad for no reason. I know the big reason, but I still think the B12 is causeing a lot of the depression. My health food store has a lot of vitamins for vegans and vegetarians, I'll look tomorrow. Oh and what does a blood test have to do with depression? I'm not being rude, I'm just really uninformed.

·
Oryzatarian
1,359 Posts
If nutritional it could easily be another vitamin too.<br>
Riboflavin, for example, is easy to get deficient in if not consuming fortified foods or lots of riboflavin bearing vegetables. Its quite fundamental to our energy metabolism so deficiency can cause energy insufficiency symptoms such as tiredness, muscle fatigue, loss of stamina, irritability, depression, etc.<br>
Or it could be minerals, like iron deficiency.<br><br>
Just take a good look at everything you eat and see if <i>anything</i> is deficient. And while sorting that out look closer at social/emotional factors too.<br><br>
Edit: a blood test could point out some possibly related problem like iron deficiency or glucose insufficiency or if its a more extensive one, other deficiencies/problems.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
There are lots of things can could make you depressed.<br>
But it's very hard/impossible to take too much B12 so it can't hurt to try!

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
one of the symptoms of B12 deficiency can be depression. i wouldn't agree with the phrasing of your initial question, though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts