VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Eating the innards makes it neccesary to find a use for the outards (the skin)....where would all of that skin be disposed of and how if they hadn't found a use for it? I partially see the leather industry as another way to stretch the profit further and not have to deal with the disposal issue.

And if you are using the animal as much as possible what about downers or cows that died prior to slaughter or were deemed unfit for slaughter? The ones that end up on the dead pile. I don't believe they are used for anything are they? Sure, they had an intended use at one point, but now are useless for 'food' because of mistreatment or neglect. They were killed in another way. Shouldn't they be responsible for using the cow to it's full potential? Shouldn't the dead ones not slaughtered be used for their skin in this scenario too. If you believe that they should use as much as the animal as possible, then they would use the skin. The fact is, that the skin alone doesn't bring enough profit. It's the 'meat' that they're being killed for; skin is a bonus. You definitely help support the beef industry and the slaughter of innocent creatures by purchasing leather products, IMO. ANY support of the beef industry is wrong in my book.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by 1vegan

I've heard that some cows are specialy bred for leather.

Don't know the name for this kind of leather (for cars and briefcases and so on).
True. I've actually viewed pics. If I can find the site I'll post it (I woke up late and don't have the time right now). These cows are pathetically thin....since they are not being used for 'food' there's no reason to worry about feeding them to much I suppose.

·
Registered
0 Posts
"Bentley Motors is previewing the 2002 edition of its Arnage sedan, which will retail for about $300,000. The car features a leather interior made from the hides of 15 Scandinavian cows, specially bred on barbed-wire-free farms to prevent nicks.."

- source

"Inside you're wrapped in leather. Specially bred cows from Sweden, where there's no barbed wire to scratch their hides, sacrifice their lives to the tunes of four per Maserati. It's everywhere, including the evocative facia, complete.."

- source

It appears many other manufacturers of various 'top-end' type products speciffically breed for the purpose of leather.

http://www.cowsarecool.com/india.html

·
Registered
0 Posts
Today's meat industry is not sustainable on its own, and it relies on skin sales to remain profitable. The skin of a slaughtered animal accounts for 55 percent of the value of the products of that animal other than meat. Leather isn't a harmless slaughterhouse byproduct. The meat industry relies on skin sales to stay in business. Animal skin is turned into finished leather by the use of many dangerous mineral salts, formaldehyde, coal-tar derivatives, and cyanide based oils and dyes. These chemicals prevent the leather from being naturally biodegradable as the industry claims. Leather products can last thousands of years and the toxic chemicals with which they are infused leach into the environment during that time. Leather pieces found in Northern Germany were estimated to be 12,000 years old, dating from the Neolithic and European Bronze Ages!

source: http://www.theanimalspirit.com/leather.html

Much of the leather sold in the U.S. comes from overseas, especially in India. - I read this on just about every site I looked at so I'm not going to reference a source here.

The cheapest grades of "genuine leather" usually use the cheapest hides (such as pigskin) to replicate cowhide (it can still legally be called "genuine leather.")

source: http://www.bugatti.com/Information%2...20leather.html

Another use of sheepskin is in making chamois. Elkskin is a standard leather for moccasins. Most of the soccer boots worn by international players are made from kangaroo leather. Ostrich is the most common birdskin used for leather. Buffalo is heavy, but soft. It is stronger than cow and has a special grain pattern. Water buffalo is being used more and more for the manufacture of motorcycle apparel and accessories. It is a less expensive leather than cowhide. Calfskin is often the base for true patent leather.

source: http://www.leatherindia.com/animaltypes.htm

I may look into it some more, but this is good for now. BTW, I kept reading that the dairy cows and calves in the US are also used for leather, moreso than the beef cows.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I just spent an hour reading sites and the majority of them said that most of the leather comes from dairy cows and calves when compared to beef cows. But, true that some of it does come from beef cows. But most of the cheaper leather isn't actually cow at all; it's pigskin. Several sites (leather merchants) stated that when leather is marked 'genuine leather' it is most likely pigskin since it's not illegal to refer to pigskin as leather.

·
Registered
0 Posts
From what I read when compared to the beef cow, the quality of dairy cow is softer, and the calf is even softer still (kidskin or calfskin leather). The strength of the dairy cows skin is the same as a beef cow, but the calfs skin is weaker. The dairy cow is preferred because of the softer quality without loosing durability. Depending on how sturdy the item needs to be and the desired 'feel' are determining factors on which skin is used for what item. I did run across an interesting fact regarding how many animals are used for footballs each year and specifically how many for the SuperBowl. I wish I could reference the numbers. My jaw dropped. I didn't mark it though

Reading about the process and looking at some of the pictures made me cry. That's why I stopped reading. I can only take it in small doses or else it mentally screws with me.

·
Registered
0 Posts
A leather importer who was interviewed on state television last year admitted to having imported dog skins and said that Italy imports up to 100,000 dog skins annually from China.

and also from the same article, not pertaining to leather but just the all the same disturbing

DNA tests on coats bought in two major department stores in Turin, showed the hood trimmings were made with dog fur - according to Italy's Anti-vivisection League (LAV).

and further

Animal rights groups say 2m dogs and cats are killed for their fur each year in China, Thailand, the Philippines and Korea.

Here's the article:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/animalrigh...875544,00.html

·
Registered
0 Posts
Originally posted by VealPrincess

I'm not looking for a debate here. The fact is that cattle are killed everyday for meat. We may as well use their skin. If you don't want any part it- then enjoy your veggies and synthetics- more power to you!

"I'm not looking for a debate here."

No, nothing like that.

Buying leather supports the beef (or mutton or whatever) industry financially. It's the same as buying meat. Anyone who thinks otherwise is only deceiving her/himself.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Yes, leather is from beef cows and other animals. I don't think they should kill animals period so I don't believe they should produce meat or anything including leather from them being killed. This planet belongs to the animals too and humankind is not Lord over them, although many think they are superior to them and so they can kill them-bull****! I don't wear leather and think it's such a selfish practice to kill animals for food or clothes when it is not necessary at all. So many good alternatives and yes this does get me irritated. I FEEL for these animals.

·
Registered
0 Posts
This has nothing to do with this.

But a elderly woman came into my work and her hang bag was cow skin. Ick I'd never seen anything like it. It looked as old as her, and was all worn. I swear it smelt bad too. Leather I could MAYBE understand (or not) but it looked like a cow. Yuck.

If I was thought faster I was going to say something like "Meat is murder" cept about leather/skin. But I couldn't think of anything.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I have said many times on vb that my current and past co-workers who are tied to the beef/cow/leather industries all say that around 12% of the cow's worth is from hides (leather). With the current crisis in Canada's beef industry, it is probably more now.

It may vary in areas, I don't know. But from informal research, I can't find evidence of 50%.

*screwed up quoting kp
ops:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts