VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Happy Veggie
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Veggies!
So I'm a vegetarian going on vegan (veggie for 11 months) and I was wondering if it matters or not if I get organic food or does it not matter? what's the difference between them?
xox Kaitlyn

·
Registered
703 Posts
I don't care much about organic or not because organic is always at a higher price and my single mom budget is tight. Organic is not really healthier, your fruit will have same nutrients organic or not, but organic will have an impact on the planet, since they strive for water and soil conservation, natural fertilizers, crop rotation etc. If you have the budget, go organic for the planet, if not, well normal is ok for your health.

·
Happy Veggie
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't care much about organic or not because organic is always at a higher price and my single mom budget is tight. Organic is not really healthier, your fruit will have same nutrients organic or not, but organic will have an impact on the planet, since they strive for water and soil conservation, natural fertilizers, crop rotation etc. If you have the budget, go organic for the planet, if not, well normal is ok for your health.
Okay thank you very much :) I buy my own food with my allowance because my family only buys what everyone wants if I want it i gotta buy it I'll try to get organic though :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Organic food doesn't use any unnatural products in the making of it.
Organic food has shown to have about the same nutritional value as conventional and there's not really much difference in environmental impact. But it's up to you. Do your own research.

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
I use both organic and conventional with a few exceptions. Produce with skins like apple, cucumber, mango etc I try to buy organic (and fortunately I have my own apple tree) if I can only because I am uncomfortable with the shellac that is applied to a lot of conventional produce, which is derived from bugs. The thought of millions of bugs being bred and slaughtered to make a product (shellac has many industrial uses) is sobering. Though I am also aware that many organic growers use fish bones/meal and other animal derivatives to grow produce in. It's impossible to avoid all of it, but the shellac is fairly obvious (usually it is listed on conventional produce but not always).

Stuff like strawberries I also buy organic. I remember some time ago watching a documentary on conventional strawberry harvest and the workers picking the strawberries had to wear gloves and masks because the pesticides were so strong they would burn their skin otherwise. I don't know if that sort of thing still goes on but I wouldn't be surprised.

After growing your own garden of produce, when you do buy it from the store and eat it, it seems so tasteless and bland. I have had better luck at farmers markets with produce being more ripe and so on.

I would recommend no matter where you get your food, wash and prepare it well.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I am somewhat "poverty stricken" at the moment and I really am frugal. I don't use organic unless it is somehow the same price as commercial food. I do grow quite a bit of vegetables over the year though. Those I grow "organically" with no pesticides, no chemical fertilizers.

"Organic" means commercially produced food, but it is food produced on certified organic plots (plots of land that have not been chemically compromised) and the food is also not sprayed with insecticides or growth hormones or chemical fertilizers.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I buy from a local organic farm. I have to say the food tastes a lot better. But you can only do what's right and doable for you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I tried both. I must agree that organic usually tastes better, but the difference is not that significant. Moreover, there is no difference in impact on your health, healthy food, fruit, vegetables will be healthy anyway. Taking to account that organic food is much more expensive, I suppose it is mostly just about business.

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Youu only buy organic if u plan to eat the skin. Otherwise fruits such as bananas and oranges are fine.

Venusvegan.wordpress.com

1 - 12 of 12 Posts