VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Might sound silly, but things have really been getting to me lately and upsetting me.

Things like:

- At restaurant place i saw a mother ask her young son "you want the chicken nuggets don't you?".... i just wanted to tell that kid everything... and that chicken is not just the name of food.

- I've had this many a time... it comes up that people find you are a veggie, and you get the "ohhhhh" sound, as if "oh you're one of them"... as if i'm some sort of traitor. It's horrible and makes me angry... but me being shy and all, just smile politely.

- I was with 2 people i know, one went into the shop to buy us something small to eat. She comes out with big sandwiches for her and the other woman and some tiny (and horrible) fruit flapjack thing for me. She then says "i don't have a problem with eating meat, as long as the animals had a happy life". To my digust the other woman said "i think that's worse, i think they should have an unhappy life so that they want to die".

- Was eating with friends the other day... had a take-away from a curry house. We got back to my friends house and found out they'd gotten the order wrong. I had ordered plain rice and had something different. It had bits in and was sure that it was bits of meat. I ended up not eating any rice... my friends gave me a look as if i was pathetic and making a fuss.

- Was at work one day (i work with horses) and i couldn't lift something because i'd hurt my wrist (horse crushed me up against a gate, but that's a long story!!). Anyway, i asked someone else for help, to which they said "you're not very strong then, that's because you are vegetarian".

- People who say... "i know it's cruel but it tastes good".. and "i couldn't give up meat coz i like it"

- My friends can't understand why i refuse to eat in places, such as mcdonalds.

- I was looking at a menu at a restaurant and there were LOADS of meat options, and only about 2 rubbish things suitable for vegetarians.

etc.

Argh it just really gets me down. I sometimes feel like the only one who cares, and i can't understand why people around me ignore the truth

I've had one VERY positive experience when i was at a house party, where the hosts were veggie. All the food, curry etc was laid out and people could pick what they wanted. One couple came up to me and my dad and asked "do you know if any of this is vegetarian?" we told them it all is and shared a happy moment... we didn't have to worry about what we could/couldn't eat!

But the negative far out balences the positive.

Sorry about the winge, just want to know i'm not alone?

Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
590 Posts
i know exactly how you are feeling, and trust me, we are not the only ones. It seems so disguisting how horrible we as humans treat the earth, and especially each other. People are ignorant, people want the easiest and fastest solution to everything, ( the drive- thru lol ) .. not many people make decisions based on the feelings of others.

p.s i actually listened to punk in drublic this afternoon for the first time in like a year. great album.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.. it's been really getting to me lately and getting me down. I'm usually a very happy person!

PS: Hehe that's cool! I think it's a cool name for an album as well hehe.

·
Registered
142 Posts
gosh i'm so sorry about all those things. people can be so ignorant. i deal with it everyday at home with my mom. her famous saying is "if meat was good enough for Jesus, then I can eat it too." Good Lord, shut up!!!!!

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
for y'all.

I haven't been running into this stuff lately. Granted, I rarely ever leave the house and when I do I'm always going to the same places. People know I'm vegan and they've just accepted it.

I am lucky to have a fiancé who is very supportive of me, as well as my family and friends [excluding my mother, but she's just one and can be ignored].

I remember when I first went vegan and we went to the supermarket and I saw a woman whose cart was full to the brim with meat. Steaks, chicken, fish, everything. It was packed full of raw meat. It was disgusting.

You just ... learn to tune it out after a while, I guess. I ignore what other people do/say/eat.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I always feel like I'm imposing or something when I refuse to eat food that people offer me. I was at my friends house and instead of the veggie greek pizza they got a meat greek pizza...and I refused to pick it out because it had...cow all over it. They were okay, but I did get some really weird stares from them.

So far my restaurant experiences haven't been too good...and it seems that out of the two options they usually have...one of them is a veggie burger. One can only eat so many veggie burgers ^_^

·
Registered
118 Posts
Ugh, can I join the club?

I am almost uncomfortable telling people why I am vegetarian because I know they are just going to make some snarky remark.

One thing that gets to me right now, is that where I work, which is Tim Hortons, they are taking the Garden Vegetable sandwich(the only vegetarian sandwich they serve) off the menu because people hardly ever order it. It just annoys me that all people seem to care about eating is a chicken club, or a turkey/bacon club, or a ham and swiss sandwich. I can't help but feel down about it.

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by criticizedveggi View Post

gosh i'm so sorry about all those things. people can be so ignorant. i deal with it everyday at home with my mom. her famous saying is "if meat was good enough for Jesus, then I can eat it too." Good Lord, shut up!!!!!
Ask her to show you the chapter and verse in the Bible that says that Jesus ate meat.

Then show her Genesis 1:29-30, where God tells Adam and Eve to be vegetarians, and even the animals in the Garden of Eden didn't eat each other. If Eden was supposed to be the ideal world before sin, and no one ate meat... Well, you get the idea.

--Fromper

·
Registered
8,743 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punk_in_Drublic View Post

- I was with 2 people i know, one went into the shop to buy us something small to eat. She comes out with big sandwiches for her and the other woman and some tiny (and horrible) fruit flapjack thing for me. She then says "i don't have a problem with eating meat, as long as the animals had a happy life". To my digust the other woman said "i think that's worse, i think they should have an unhappy life so that they want to die".
Well, if she just went to a regular deli or whatever, then she walked out with meat from animals that absolutely did not have a "happy" life or death on some idyllic small farm or whatever she imagines. You can point that out.

You can try carrying around pamphlets from Viva or one of the other groups in the UK (I don't think Vegan Outreach or Mercy for Animals is there...) and being more direct and graphic about why you are vegan, especially if people give you a hard time.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by criticizedveggi View Post

yea and also when you get the "ohhhhhh........". It is sort of like homophobic, but veggiephobic.
Yeah! Too right! Why should they care that i don't eat meat... what problem is it to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaybe View Post

So far my restaurant experiences haven't been too good...and it seems that out of the two options they usually have...one of them is a veggie burger. One can only eat so many veggie burgers ^_^
Haha yeah, that's mostly what i see around here!

Wow managed to get 2 quotes into one post lol.

Thanks all, the replies cheered me up a bit

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
I fair pretty well, probably between being thick skinned and having pretty understanding friends.

WRT to seeing parents feed their kids meat... yea that totally skeeves me. I really don't think that if they understood what they were being fed they would eat it.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

WRT to seeing parents feed their kids meat... yea that totally skeeves me. I really don't think that if they understood what they were being fed they would eat it.
I could be off base here (I'm not around kids all that much), but it seems to me that a lot of kids don't even LIKE eating meat but are forced to by their parents.

When I went on vacation wtih family last summer, my little cousin (age 4) didn't want to eat her meat but wanted more mashed potatoes. Her dad forced her to eat the meat before she got more potatoes. Then, her brother (age 7) was talking to my bf and I about our vegetarianism, and was more tolerant than many people I meet. He asked a bunch of questions and was genuinely curious. He said, "Yeah, I don't really like eating meat, but my mom and dad make me."

I can sure remember what I was like when I was younger when it came to meat. I would have been vegetarian at age 7 if my parents would have been more understanding.

Anyway, P_I_D, it does get so very frustrating at times; I feel ya. Sometimes it just baffles me that people even EAT meat. I guess I'm often in my little vegetarian bubble and when I emerge I'm like, "you mean people seriously EAT fast food hamburgers?"

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadia View Post

When I went on vacation wtih family last summer, my little cousin (age 4) didn't want to eat her meat but wanted more mashed potatoes. Her dad forced her to eat the meat before she got more potatoes. Then, her brother (age 7) was talking to my bf and I about our vegetarianism, and was more tolerant than many people I meet. He asked a bunch of questions and was genuinely curious. He said, "Yeah, I don't really like eating meat, but my mom and dad make me."
Wow no way... it's a bit sad really.

Thanks everyone

·
Registered
102 Posts
What really gets to me is how i will go out to eat with my family and all i can eat is a fricken salad cause the damn place serves nothing but steak.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've never had too much problem eating out.. apart from when i went to sweden... Had a big important meal with the band (big band on an exchange trip, and all the swedish people who'd helped us get there).. the salad had meat bits in it... then i went for the veggie option, what did i get? A whole plaice (spelling?? you know, the fish lol)... urghhhhh i just felt really sick.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggieweggie123 View Post

What really gets to me is how i will go out to eat with my family and all i can eat is a fricken salad cause the damn place serves nothing but steak.
This is my biggest gripe, too. Though I don't really go out to eat much, sometimes I wish I just had the freedom to expect that there'd be a good variety of things on menus for me to eat, and trusting that the veggie options are indeed free of chicken stock or other non-obvious animal products.

Another thing that gets to me is my wife's slow return to eating meat. A slice of bacon here, a bit of fish there. Then she has the nerve to tell me that she "resisted" getting a slice of pepperoni pizza one day because she didn't want to eat it in front of our little girls since she knows that I "wouldn't want them to have any." Yeah, I guess it was thoughtful of her to not expose our girls to eating meat, but just the way she said it made it seem as though she was doing ME the favor, not our girls. I wanted to ask her, "So, YOU want to give them meat?" Just very depressing, really.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I get this so much at school! This year we started cooking classes three hours a week where we eat the food we make, which is almost always something meaty. Each lesson my classmates ask me "do you eat eggs? yoghurt? cheese? broccoli?" and "youre killing the plants!" and "meat tastes so good, i could never give it up. " And when i come home my brother throws meat at my plate and tells me that Im going to die soon because Im not eating meat. My parents expect me to pick out the meat from pizza and dinners, something I refuse. And of course no body can understand why I dont eat fish. And my cooking teacher thinks Im a freak.

And now Im working on going vegan, and I can only imagine what that must be like

I always make jokes about it at school, and try to be friendly and positive. Im the only vegetarian they know, so I guess thats why theyreso curious. Yeah, it gets to me!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.