VeggieBoards banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
probably a stupid question, but i really have no idea.

i want to bring something healthier in my lunch

and i <3 hummus

so i was hoping to bring like a sandwhich or something

would that work or would it taste disgusting?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,670 Posts
I personally think a hummus sandwich would be a bit sketchy taste-wise, but that could just be me.

As to whether or not it should be refrigerated (which is an entirely different question) I'd say yes, it probably should be.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
192 Posts
I think it would taste fine,I bring hummus and veggie sandwiches with me and they never get yucky or mushy.I wouldn't leave the tub of hummus out though,that definitely needs refrigerated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,014 Posts
I used a "cooler" style lunch box and an ice pack to keep my lunch cool. But I also have plenty of space on my desk at work. If you're in high school or something, that might be a bit much for you to fit in your locker.

--Fromper

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,282 Posts
I think it would be fine for a few hours.

Am I the only one who remembers bringing bagged lunches to elementary school every day with meat and mayo and it would sit in a bin in the classroom, regardless of temperature, until lunch time when you'd eat it and survive?

NO ONE had insulated anythings when I went to school unless you brought soup in a thermos!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
927 Posts
Refrigerate if you can, but don't stress it - it's unlikely that anything bad would happen to it at room temp between morning and lunchtime.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,644 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

I think it would be fine for a few hours.

Am I the only one who remembers bringing bagged lunches to elementary school every day with meat and mayo and it would sit in a bin in the classroom, regardless of temperature, until lunch time when you'd eat it and survive?

NO ONE had insulated anythings when I went to school unless you brought soup in a thermos!


If I had a dollar for every time I SHOULD have gotten food poisoning - especially from the cow milk that had been steadily fermenting in the hot California sun (remember glass thermoses?)...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatless View Post

I personally think a hummus sandwich would be a bit sketchy taste-wise, but that could just be me.
I don't know about that... It sounds pretty good right now. Nice thick hummus in a sandwich.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,079 Posts
My stomach lining must be made out of cast iron because I never refrigerate the food I bring to work. Sometimes if I don't eat something I bring it home and have it for dinner after it's been sitting out all day. Or I'll refrigerate it and bring it againt he next day. I know it's probably really bad to do that but so far so good.

As far as hummus goes, I've definitely left it at room temperature for a few hours and it's been fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,887 Posts
Hummus is fine sitting out for awhile. If you are going to do a hummus sandwich, I would recommend using a pita or tortilla wrap. It seems to get less soggy and taste better (at least to me) that way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4EverGrounded View Post



If I had a dollar for every time I SHOULD have gotten food poisoning - especially from the cow milk that had been steadily fermenting in the hot California sun (remember glass thermoses?)...
Haha or tuna sandwiches on white bread and the bread would get all squishy??

Man I'm so glad my kids aren't going to have to eat like that in school!!
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top