VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am VERY new to the vegetarian lifestyle. Actually, I just transitioned into a non-meat eater yesterday because of moral/ethical reasons.

The thought of eating meat makes me feel absolutely repulsed. I literally start watering under my tongue thinking about it.

I cannot even think of drinking milk, it makes me truly ill.

Am I just being overzealous in my newbie-ness or do you also feel this way?

·
Registered
8,489 Posts
It's a very common thing for a lot of people when they are first starting out.

I know that when I first went veg*n, the smell of cooking meat made me horribly ill. I've gotten a bit better with this as time has gone on but I still catch myself being grossed out.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Yeah, I felt the same (still do a lot of the time). Occasionally though I'll have a random unconcious (sp?) thought that I'll try one of my kids chicken nuggets or have a bit of DH's spag bol then I remember I don't eat it anymore! Totally weird-lol.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Quote:
Occasionally though I'll have a random unconcious (sp?) thought that I'll try one of my kids chicken nuggets or have a bit of DH's spag bol then I remember I don't eat it anymore! Totally weird-lol.
I get those too! Haha, good to know someone else does, too.

The the OP- I find beef and pork disgusting to look at, smell, etc., but chicken and fish don't bother me as much.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I love the taste of meat, I love burgers, a steak, chicken on the grill, etc., etc. But when I think about the suffering it's caused, yes, it disgusts me.

This is kind of silly, but I carry the leaflet from PETA's Vegetarian starter kit with me, so if I feel tempted to eat meat, I just take it out, skim it over, and come back to my senses

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I never really got that feeling. Being surrounded by omnis, it's something I knew I was going to have to deal with.

I actually do have a friend though, who respects me so much for being a vegan, that he won't eat meat in front of me when we hang out together.

I just kind of tune it out. I don't really pay attention to what other people are eating. I only ever go out to eat with people who can hold conversations, which keeps my mind off of whatever it is they're munchin'.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I'd say 'overzealous in your newbie-ness', although some seasoned vegetarians feel the same way. I don't find the thought of eating meat repulsive. I like the taste of meat, but I don't eat it because of its environmental impacts.

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
I think it's gross but I've gotten somewhat desensitized to it since my entire family eats meat. I don't like the smell of beef at all, and fish makes my stomach turn. Everything else just is stinky but I can get past it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't have a problem with other people eating meat. I could sit down with someone eating a steak and not feel sick.

However, I felt a little sick in the grocery store yesterday, thinking of the images of all the animals being mutilated and killed, but I wasn't "offended" by meat, if that makes sense.

The thought of actually putting meat in my mouth makes me sick.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Seeing others eating meat or thinking about eating doesn't make me feel physically sick. Though, I'll always think about the animal that died for it. When I first became a vegetarian I didn't feel like eating meat was unnatural because well...I had eaten it for 16 years. But now it seems more unnatural to me as I go along.

Also something else that I find amusing. When I first became a vegetarian I would have dreams about eating meat but then I would remember that I was a vegetarian and stop eating it. Lol. It was goofy.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Yes. My dad was cooking some steak yesterday and I smelled it and already felt sick, and then when I saw him sit down to eat it I had to leave the room to stop myself from vomiting. It truly was a disgusting sight.

When I see those adds from the Beef company or whatever they call themselves- the ones that put those ads saying "BEEF: IT'S WHAT'S FOR DINNER" up, I am greeted with the repulsing sight of a pink slab o meat and I feel sick almost instantly. Thank god I can turn the page.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iscah View Post

Also something else that I find amusing. When I first became a vegetarian I would have dreams about eating meat but then I would remember that I was a vegetarian and stop eating it. Lol. It was goofy.
That happened to me too! Except in my dreams, I would be eating human flesh before realizing that it wasn't vegetarian.

I'm surrounded by family and friends eating meat every day, so I'm pretty desensetized to it. It is easier to get grossed out when the meat resembles the actual animal, like a whole frozen chicken in the freezer, or the meat section of the grocery store. I mostly try not to think about it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I still sometimes find the thought or sight of certain meat dishes appealing. But then I remind myself of what it really is and how it got there, and I quickly get over whatever interest I had in it.

I don't think your disgust has anything to do with being a newbie - it's just how you feel about it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.