VeggieBoards banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been googling seitan recipes and have found that the vietnamese style is similar to the mock meats I buy. The problem is all the recipes I have found, I can not read and the translation online makes no sense. Is there anyone here that can decipher recipes if I post links? Thanks

·
Banned
1,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty View Post

I've been googling seitan recipes and have found that the vietnamese style is similar to the mock meats I buy. The problem is all the recipes I have found, I can not read and the translation online makes no sense. Is there anyone here that can decipher recipes if I post links? Thanks
I have limited skills and am willing to try. post away.

·
Banned
1,013 Posts
Not to diminish my prowess, it would be easier to use google translate for such a long recipe.

http://translate.google.com/translat...26Itemid%3D471

Here's the main site: http://translate.google.com/?hl=en#vi|en| Just plop the url in, selct the languages, and you're done.

The translation is pretty funny, but the ingredients are clear and the preparation instructions are basically the same for any other seitan recipe, like the one you can find at PPK. Vietnamese is chock-full of idioms; I suspect "hunt pigs" simply means to look for lumps and get rid of them. The "cassava root and long hair" doesn't refer to ingredients. The recipe doesn't cover the ingredients in the marinade, which is typical. It's probably assuming you already know to use char siu paste or powder as if you were marinating pork (you can get this in any Asian market). The recipe doesn't call for any other preparation after the marinade, but I would try to put it in a very hot oven (225 C) for about 10-15 minutes to get it crispy.

That's neat site - I'm glad you turned me onto it.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Paperhanger, I found most of the recipes I want translated via gooling "mi can" I think it was and then imaging it. Then I just clicked random pictures I liked the look of and tried to translate the recipes.

That is the translator I used, amongst many, I found that the best one. But one recipe I had had 6 stone repartoire or something and I didn't understand that at all. I will find a few more recipes to post.

The biggest question I had was .. does the way they tie the seitan up all tight in the muslin and string make a difference?

·
Banned
1,013 Posts
There's no trick to the actual tying - you just want to make sure it's completely covered and snug. In your recipe it looks like the cook deliberately shaped the loaves and tied the string to make it "look" more like the real pork deal in the end.

I'll do what I can. It might be more productive if you run your threads through the translator and then just ask what specific terms mean when something doesn't make sense. I don't have the skills (or the time) to do any large translations, but I might be able to help you with those specifics. Feel free to PM if you want.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts