VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else notice that alot of omnis see nothing wrong with bashing vegans but when vegans even THINK of saying something bad about an omni, they get all defensive?? I'm noticing that ALOT lately...

·
Registered
0 Posts
Same with vegans.. We can ***** about omnis (read: "Stupid things omnivores say..." thread), but when they ***** about us, we get defensive. Natural reaction.

Except they say things more so out of ignorance.. Like, "So how do you get your protein?"

·
Registered
904 Posts
I notice but by this point I just don't care to respond or even remember what they specifically did or said. And that goes either way (omni to vegan or vegan to omni)

·
Banned
5,034 Posts
Omnis bash vegans due to our superiority; their inferiority gnaws away at them even if they don't realise it and it comes out as vegan bashing.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
What do ya mean exactly by "bash"? Attack, insult or demean? If so, I have to point out that there is a great deal of bashing even amongst the veg*n community; vegetarians bash vegans quite a bit as well.

I suppose some vegetarians feel "bashed" by vegans too, even when the vegans are just stating facts and not attacking or hurling insults (it's that whole "cognitive dissonance" thing again with a bit of defensive passive-aggressive flavor thrown in for effect).

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, like tonight for instance, someone I talk to on IM, their away message was basically making fun of vegans, I don't exactly remember what it said. But yeah, I mean attack, etc.

And I know that everyone at one point or another bashes another person, but I wouldn't go up to someones face and make fun of them for eating meat (although in my head I am thinking "ugh, gross! terrible!") but they seem to have no problem at all telling me what they think of the choice I have made and it's seriously starting to tick me off.

(whoa, that turned into a bit of a vent, huh? oops! lol)

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Can't we all just get along?

I get bashed a lot by my screwy friend except she has no idea she's bashing me.

She says loads of stupid things but she has no idea they are stupid. Everything from "I guess you would not want to come to any more of our BBQs." to "You probably don't enjoy food in general."

Oh well. I never bash her or her disgusting diet. I am trying to lead by example but yeah, I've got far more negativity in my life via "innocent" comments just because of what I don't eat than I used to have before I went veg.

Sad. True.

d

·
Registered
0 Posts
yeah, sounds like me and my dad... I respect him and im not going to force him. My mom is vegetarian and hates to cook for him.. at least she cooks chicken or fish once a week or once every two weeks.

What I dont like omnis telling me is that I need to eat and "enjoy life...." .. by eating animals?!!?!?!? grrr.

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
I think that vegetarians and vegans are all members of the same team. We shouldn't pick on or attack one another. We have all made the personal choice to evolve beyond eating animals. We are the change for a better future, in action.

·
Registered
8,743 Posts
In all seriousness, when veganism is about AR, one can't really make an equivalence between vegans who have a problem with omni practices, and omnis who have a problem with vegan practices.

Anymore than one can make an equivalence between, say, jews who had a problem with Nazis, and Nazis who had a problem with jews during WWII.

Vis-a-vis eachother, one group is trying to stop brutality, and the other group is committing or supporting it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
geez... I didn't realize that when I went veg, I had to change my lifestyle too! I have to tell my wife... this stinks....

But seriously, that is the perception that the omni's have. Most do not or refuse to understand that there is freedom of choice for different reasons.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurmudgeon View Post

Omnis bash vegans due to our superiority; their inferiority gnaws away at them even if they don't realise it and it comes out as vegan bashing.
I'll add another "whatever".

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AccidentalVeg View Post

Can't we all just get along?

I get bashed a lot by my screwy friend except she has no idea she's bashing me.

"You probably don't enjoy food in general."
I have never enjoyed food more in my life than I do now. I take pictures of every meal I make and I betcha if an omni did the same and you lined the two sets up, mine would be very obviously the better example of variety, balanced diet, looking good, etc. What is with this mindset that we must not like food because we don't eat bloodied rotten carcass? I don't even see "meat" as fit for consumption!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts