VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like the idea of quorn being based on something other then soy for protein but all quorn products seem to have dairy and egg in them. Anyone know why?.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
A lot of anti-meat contains dairy and eggs because they aren't appealing to vegans (or even vegetarians specifically for that matter).

They're appealing to health conscious people more than anything. It's not an "ethical" alternative to meat. It's more of a lifestyle alternative.

So I think it might be something to do with that. Maybe? I dunno. I'm workin' on maybe three hours of sleep so I can only hope I am making sense.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
It's to spite the vegans.

Thats the only thing I can think of.

dairy and eggs in a "health conscious" alternative... yeah that makes just as much sense as "one serving of dairy a day helps you lose weight".

·
Banned
1,524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by troub View Post

... yeah that makes just as much sense as "one serving of dairy a day helps you lose weight".
Especially when we all know that it's actually 3 servings per day that we need, for better health and strng bones.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by troub View Post

It's to spite the vegans.

Thats the only thing I can think of.
I agree!

But seriously, I don't mind-there's plenty of other things to choose from (& hopefully there will be even more in the future) .

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
I accidentally ate Quorn cutlets a while back and couldn't figure out why my tummy was hurting me so bad LOL. It was because they had egg in them and my stomach was surprised.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm new to vegetarianism and to these boards and there's something that bothers me with a number of the posts that I read here (including this one)-- it seems as though there's an implication that unless you are *vegan* you aren't quite getting it *right* and that you aren't as good as or as serious as vegans which makes one think that the general feeling in the vegetarian community is that vegans are superior to lowly vegetarians or something. I may be very wrong in this feeling and as I said I'm new to this lifestyle, but I keep getting this impression over and over--- Any thoughts?

·
Banned
1,524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleGreen View Post

I'm new to vegetarianism and to these boards and there's something that bothers me with a number of the posts that I read here (including this one)-- it seems as though there's an implication that unless you are *vegan* you aren't quite getting it *right* and that you aren't as good as or as serious as vegans which makes one think that the general feeling in the vegetarian community is that vegans are superior to lowly vegetarians or something. I may be very wrong in this feeling and as I said I'm new to this lifestyle, but I keep getting this impression over and over--- Any thoughts?
This is a bit off topic. You might want to start a new thread, but put on your body armor first.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Quote:

I guess that's our prerogative in the vegan forum.

There's a bunch of threads which deal with this subject. I vote we keep this one about the veganosity of quorn, or lack thereof.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I agree, they should at least try out a vegan formula. Quorn was one of my favorites when I was just a lowly vegetarian (jk alittlegreen, I just couldn't resist). But it seems like with the exception of follow your heart all of the fake chicken has egg in it. I wonder if that's how they make it taste so much like chicken lol.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Quote:

I am vegan and I do agree with what you are saying.

However, this has been debated SOOOO many times. Plus, this is the vegan forum lol. Feel free to post this concern in the Compost Heap though.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Quote:

it seems as though there's an implication that unless you are *vegan* you aren't quite getting it *right*
You are currently in the vegan subforum - one of the only places were we can say the following with no impunity, and as such, I might as well:

The egg industry kills billions of male chicks every year.

BILLIONS! - just because they are male -

tossed into a dumpster at birth, so omnis and ovo's can have omletts and some sunnysideup breakfasts.

So yeah, theres a slight difference between vegans and lacto/ovos. Some of us view dairy and egg the way others view beef.

Sure every small change helps. And props to the pescatarians, the lacto vegetarians, the ovo vegetarians, and to the vegans and raw fruitarians. Props to all who limit animal products in their diet - for everything helps.

But saying that,

the egg industry supports the killing of male chicks.

the dairy industry supports veal.

Egg is murder.

Dairy is murder.

and that cheesy omlette most likey caused more suffering then someones prime rib steak.

but dont mind me, im one of those "vegan extremist" "TERRORIST" "unsupportive" "vegan police" - my words should be taken with a grain of salt i suppose.

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
We don't even have quorn in Canada. And even if we did, I loathe and detest mushrooms, and I have heard that this product is made from a mushroomesque fungus.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatless View Post

We don't even have quorn in Canada. And even if we did, I loathe and detest mushrooms, and I have heard that this product is made from a mushroomesque fungus.
I like mushrooms. But Quorn holds absolutley zero appeal for me.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I love mushrooms and I loved quorn (maybe we could petition them for a vegan option). But as far as mushrooms go, give me a marinated & grilled portabello mushroom cap in place of a veggie/soy burger any day!!

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountessKerouac View Post

Compost Heap!
this is the vegan sub forum

Im supporting veganism.

posts in the vegan support sub-forum should support veganism

Ill say "egg is murder" "egg is murder" "egg is murder" all day long in here, thx.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatless View Post

I'm afraid we can't be friends anymore.

You're so nice; I would give up mushrooms for you.

I mean, I like them. But I can't bring myself to love a fungus, much less a fungus that has been turned into a bizarre meat substitute that sounds like a Ferengi.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts