VeggieBoards banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An Indian snack famously known for its usefulness as an offering to guests who do not call before visiting! It's made during diwali, it's given in lunch boxes, carried along while travelling and generally made in bulk for hungry house-members to munch when mum is too busy to make something good quickly.

For the step by step pictures you may view the latest post on my blog given in the signature.

Calories: About 150 calories per serving

Preparation Time: 40 minutes

Makes: 1 big jar (500 g) of chivda

Ingredients:

500 g Poha/flattened rice flakes
6 tbsp oil
1 tbsp cumin seeds
1/2 tbsp mustard seeds
5 green chillies-chopped
a handful of cashews-split
a handful of peanuts
5-6 curry leaves
1 tbsp powdered sugar
2 tbsp coriander seed powder
1/2 tbsp turmeric powder
1/2 tbsp asafoetida
1/2 tbsp cumin powder
Salt to taste

*The rice flakes/poha should be sun-dried for 3-4 days before using and stored in air-tight containers. Alternatively, you can simply roast the poha with 1 tsp of ghee in a pan before using
Procedure:

Heat the oil in a wok. Add the cumin and the mustard seeds, allowing them to crackle.

Add the chopped chillies, cashews, turmeric, asafoetida, coriander seed powder and curry leaves.

Mix in the poha and toss it around to coat it with the masala oil.

Hereafter, add the salt, powdered sugar, cumin powder and peanuts and keep roasting till the poha turns crisp.

It will take a good amount of tossing and stirring for the poha to turn crispy-about 10-15 minutes.

Store in air-tight containers.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It sure is healthy...and tasty!

·
Registered
178 Posts
This looks really interesting (and tasty!)- I don't think I've tried anything like that before. I'm just wondering if there was anything you could replace the chillies with as I'm intolerant to chilli? Would it still work?

·
Riot Nrrrd
3,180 Posts
Quote:
I'm just wondering if there was anything you could replace the chillies with
This version at Show Me the Curry only uses chili "to taste", making it effectively an optional ingredient. Chili doesn't seem essential to any version of the dish (and there are MANY versions).

·
Registered
178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in MPLS View Post

This version at Show Me the Curry only uses chili "to taste", making it effectively an optional ingredient. Chili doesn't seem essential to any version of the dish (and there are MANY versions).
Oh okay, thank you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts