VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going vegan, but i find it annoying when sometimes i get cravings for ice cream, does anyone else get this? or did you when you were first going vegan? and what did you do about it?

also, what is the best egg alternative?

thanks,

~Lizzi~

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Of course I get those cravings. I've got a major sweet tooth and I love those frozen sweets. Soy Dream makes excellent non-dairy ice cream. Tofutti brand stuff is amazing (they make ice cream, ice cream sandwiches, ice cream bars, and my favorite--chocalate chipwiches). I've also tried Rice Dream's ice cream which I think is mediocre and has a bad after taste, but it serves when desperate for a fix.

Also, you can make your own sorbets and ices (and many ice cream shops sell them, too) if you buy an ice cream maker.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
hi lizzi! and welcome to VB.

your ice cream question has been answered pretty well, i think, so i'll just move on to the egg thing. visit http://www.veganmania.com and check out the substitutions section for eggs. also, soilman taught me that in most recipes that call for just one egg (usually for binding the other ingredients together) you can usually just leave a replacer out altogether, or just use a little extra liquid as a binding agent. in things like cookies, quickbreads, and pancakes i will just add a couple of tablespoons of soy milk [sometimes i'll whip a tablespoon of some kind of vegetable starch (corn, potato, tapioca) into the soymilk to add a little extra 'oomph', but the soymilk usually does the trick all on it's own.]

hope that helps!

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I forget where I got this but I put it in a book I made for a friend who was a long time lacto (9 years) and was trying to go vegan.

Things that can be used in cooking besides eggs

Many recipes call for eggs because of their binding and leavening properties. Dont worry eliminating them is easy. Egg replacers, available in health food stores and some supermarkets; work just as well as the real thing. Also try substituting one heaping tablespoon of soy flour or cornstarch plus two tablespoons of water for each egg in a baked product. Or try one ounce of mashed tofu to replace each egg in recipes. A banana also has the leveling properties of eggs, replace each egg with ½ a banana. Applesauce also works as a butter replacement. Just use the same amount of applesauce it says to use of butter

if you'd like the book, I can email you all the recpies and stuff. Just PM me.

·
Administrator
19,873 Posts
I don't cook often but I have tried making cakes. When making a cake I use apple sauce instead of egg. I'm not sure how much apple sauce = 1 egg, hopefully someone here can tell you.

And the Tofutti ice cream sandwiches are very good. You might also want to try something like a sorbet. Not sure if those are vegan but it seems like they're just fruit and ice.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
I have never found anything that satisfactorily replaces egg white in my mother's and grandmother's potato pancake and potato kugle recipes. I have tried all the usual things, and more.

Try to think of something that has the same physical properties as egg white; I can't. It starts out as a sol, and turns to a gel when heated, and stays in the same gel state when cooled down.

This set of characteristics makes it handy as a "binder" for other ingredients. Its initial quality of being a sol, means it is easy to mix in with other materials. When it turns to a gel, it, as a result, holds the other ingredients together. They are held together both when they are hot, and when they cool off. I can't think of anything else that changes this way, and provides the same kind of binding usefulness. I don't think there is, unless you are talking about other animal-origin materials. Gelatin and starches and hemi-celluloses are all gels when cool, and sols when hot, and return to gels when they are cooled. When hot, or reheated, they become sols again. This makes them much less useful as a binder, than egg white, in foods that are served hot.

Though I have never tried commercial egg replacers, I have tried the ingredients used in EnergG egg replacer older ingredient list. They don't work in the potato latke and kugle recipes. I can't see how they can be of much use. Also, I don't understand paying the price they charge, for the cheap ingredients listed, in their newer ingredient list: Potato starch, tapioca starch, calcium lactate, methylcellulose, sodium carboxymethylcellulose, calcium carbonate, citric acid.

I'm not sure if calcium lactate is made from milk or not. Or what its properties are. Calcium carbonate is cleaned up limestone. It may produce some leavening action when combined with citric acid -- bubbles. But eggs do not have leavening properties, so I am puzzled by the frequent use of leavening agents in egg replacers. Cakes recipes that call for baking powder or baking soda or yeast levening -- all ready have all the leavening ingredients that are needed.

Methylcellulose and sodium carboxymethylcellulose and hemi-celluloses -- like agar, caragheenan, pectin, locust bean gum. Only these chemical names they use suggest that the source they use may be wood pulp waste (sawdust) or cotton mill waste. I described hemi-celluoses above.

Their own advertising says it only replaces eggs in certain recipes.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
poor soilman. i remember way back when i first started posting at VO he was complaining even then that he couldn't duplicate his family latke recipe to his satisfaction, because nothing could replace the eggs properly. it's sad to see him facing the same problem still, years later.

you couldn't just get USED to a new kind of latke, made with egg replacer, could you, soilman?

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
Yup, blood contains some albumen.

Despite EnerG's claim that their product contains no dairy products, http://www.ener-g.com/Shop-ProdKWBuy...placer&spell=1

calcium lactate is, acc to my reference, usually derived from milk.

It doesn't appear to have any purpose in food other than being a source of dietary calcium, to be added to boost the amount of calcium that the food supplies, and that can be claimed on the nutrition-information label.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
It is not for me that I want to make these potato dishes, Kreeli. I don't miss them. I can easily live entirely without them. I would better enjoy eat simple steamed potato slices than eating potato latkes made with egg replacer. But many people crave potato latkes (pancakes) and potato kugle (pie) -- traditional holiday dishes in some Jewish families -- and they might be very impressed if I could re-create the traditional flavor and texture without using any egg products.

I have also long been impressing diners with alarmingly delicious dishes made from astonishly simple recipes, and I'm hooked on finding new ways to continue doing this.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
I also don't want people to get the idea that their is an "answer for everything" should they decide to become vegan. I think it is misleading to tell people that they won't have to give up certain foods and flavors, because eggs are not indespensibe. Eggs appear to be, in certain recipes -- indespensible.

It also causes vegans to lose credibility -- when people trying veganism find out that the egg replacers, that vegans tell them is a simple solution to the egg problem -- turn out not to work very well.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
Also, potato starch and tapioca starch are about $0.30 per pound, not $6.00, like EnergG egg replacer is. The amount of hemicelluloses in EnergG is undoubtedly small, judging by the amount of EnergG they tell you to put in recipes. And hemicelluoses are cheap anyway. The amount needed to gel a whole quart of liquid is only a few pennies. I think a proper price for EnergG egg replacer should be about $0.75 per pound, not $6.00. $6.00 is obscene, for potato starch.

Also, putting potato starch in potatoes -- is ridiculous.

Some idiotic potato pancake recipes I have seen call for discarding the water that the potatos were cooked in -- in order to remove some of the excess starch -- and then adding EnergG egg Replacer. This is clearly insane.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
One of my favorite things to do is to simply elimate certain ingredients that are used in tradional recipes -- but that no-one notices have been eliminated. So-called "superstitious" ingredients. I like to eliminate superstitious procedures too. That make no difference in how the final product comes out. Makes life easier.

I think that most of the recipes I see are brimming over with supertitious ingredients and procedures.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by soilman

Some idiotic potato pancake recipes I have seen call for discarding the water that the potatos were cooked in -- in order to remove some of the excess starch -- and then adding EnergG egg Replacer. This is clearly insane.
clearly!!! lmao!!!

is it just me, or is everyone else totally in
with soilman these days, too?

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
indeed!

a friend of mine mentioned once that corn starch mixed with a bit of water into a paste can be used as a cheap egg replacer and supposedly works better than the rediculously expensive packaged egg replacers. i think it's what she uses in baking and i've tried her vegan chocolate cake, it was extremely moist and fluffy, and much lighter tasting than nonvegan traditional cake. hmm i do have the recipe somewhere, i'll ask her if i can post it

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
My chocolate cake recipe, LadyFaile, doesn't require any eggs, or any corn starch either. Just cocoa powder, baking soda, sugar, all-purpose white wheat flour, salt, vanilla extract. I can't think of anything else. A little oil maybe?

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
RedStarJedi writes:

================

A banana also has the leveling properties of eggs, replace each egg with ½ a banana. Applesauce also works as a butter replacement. Just use the same amount of applesauce it says to use of butter

=================

What are "leveling" properties?

I don't see how applesauce can serve as a butter replacement. Butter is oil, a little water, and flavorings. Apple sauce is mostly apples and sugar and water. No oil. Virtually no fat content. Butter is nearly 100 percent fat. Makes no sense to me.

Michael writes

===================

'm not sure how much apple sauce = 1 egg,

===================

This makes no sense to me either. Apple sauce simply does not have the properties I described for egg white. Apple sauce has very little protein, just a trace. Egg white is pure protein, dissolved in water, and an egg is roughly 2/3 protein, maybe more (not including water). Again, this just makes absolutely no sense to me. Sounds like a fairly tale some vegan made up to try and convince a non-vegan that if they converted to vegan they would be able to keep all their non-flesh-containing recipes, that called for eggs, with just a simple replacement of common materials, for the eggs. Apple sauce isn't even the same from brand to brand, or recipe to recipe. Some have added spices. They have differing sugar levels.

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by soilman

RedStarJedi writes:

================

A banana also has the leveling properties of eggs, replace each egg with ½ a banana. Applesauce also works as a butter replacement. Just use the same amount of applesauce it says to use of butter

=================

What are "leveling" properties?

I think RSJ meant to type "leavening properties," or whatever the correct spelling is. See his preceding sentence or two, which you did not quote.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
from the vegan cookzine Raggedy Annarchy's Guide to the Universe and Vegan Baking.

"...finally we've got these slimy egg things that can sometimes give me a really big headache when i'm looking for good substitutes. eggs are used in recipes for any number of reasons. one big one that i've finally figured out is that they're sometimes just used because tradition dictates so. you know, it's not a real cake unless you've got some eggs in it. bull****! forget it. sometimes you can leave out the eggs and add no substitute and your baked thing works out just fine.

the three main reasons eggs are in baked things tho is to add liquid to the recipe and keep things moist, to leaven the baked goods (make 'em rise), and to bind the ingredients together so your brownie doesn't just turn out a pile of crumbs. now, replacing the liquid of an egg in a recipe is easy -- you can just substitute about 2 1/2 tablespoons of any kind of liquid for each egg the recipe calls for. keeping the products moist is another story tho, and i've found very few great vegan cakes that have that same moist texture as the old egg-y cakes had. one way you can do it (and in this case, ignore the 2 1/2 tablespoons bit) is by substituting 1/2 a mashed banana or 1/4 cup applesauce or other fruit puree per egg. of course, a slight banana or apple flavor in your chocolate cake may seem a bit weird though. the best one i've found is blending about two ounces of mashed tofu with the liquid in the recipe for each egg called for. tofu really doesn't have much flavor and i think does the best job of moisturizing.

the leavening aspect of eggs is a weird one because some recipes rely soley on beaten egg whites (like angel cakes) for their rising power and in these cases little can be done to substitute. just give it up. most other things work just fine tho if you only add an extra 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder per egg. easy.

finally, for the binding property of eggs, both the banana and tofu methods mentioned above do well. but you can also mix together 1 tablespoon cornstarch or arrowroot powder with two tablespoons of water for each egg, or a combination of 2 tablespoons flour, 1/2 tablespoon veg shortening, 2 tablespoons water and 1/2 teaspoon baking powder (one egg). a friend uses a mixture of mashed potato flakes and water as a substitute, but i'm not exactly sure how this works. experiment. mess around. this is the fun of cooking anyway. "

xoxo

kittee

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.