VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everytime I walk past one I get freaked out. They are like something out of a horror movie. I'm not even vegetarian for ethical reasons!

Watching people prepare meat is the same it freaks me right out.

·
Registered
130 Posts
starting to get a bit that way. The thing that gets me is when I go down to the markets, there's a fish stall that sets up next to the fruit/vege stall I usually go to. The pong is pretty nauseating.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
How about how they walk around the store with their blood spattered apron on like nothing is wrong?

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Not easily grossed out, though I have learned to keep my eye open for things like that so I can divert my girlfriend's attention away from it before she sees it and gets creeped out lol. We do a lot of shopping in the Chinatown markets, so always gotta be on the lookout for whole pigs and ducks and stuff dangling from the ceiling.

·
Ankle Biter
9,333 Posts
I'm pretty lucky. I don't have to go by the meat or deli aisles in any of the grocery stores I frequent. They're easy to avoid and I do. The only time I really see raw meat is on some of the cooking shows I watch on TV. I change the channel when it bothers me.

·
Banned
1,726 Posts
I avoid the meat and deli aisles as much as possible. The smell of sea creatures in the store really makes me ill.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
I hate the meat section! Thankfully, the store where I shop the most was recently remodled, so I don't have to go near the meat now. It used to be right next to the produce and workers would sometimes try to entice you with seafood as you passed by.

·
Banned
2,385 Posts
butchers yes. but not the rest, i think i am used to ignore it and not think about it like omnis do (i was one for a pretty long time so i kept the skill)

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Oh yeah it's horrifying to me. And seeing people standing there trying to decide what body part they want really gets to me. The meat area is right next to the tortillas and dried beans and stuff like that at my grocery store so I have to walk by it almost every time I go there. My health food store only has a tiny amount of frozen meat so when I go there it's way nicer. My sense of smell has gotten a lot keener over the last couple of years and I think when we eat meat we're desensitized to the smell of the meat section also or something because now when I walk near it I can smell ammonia and bleach and the flesh itself. The smell of meat cooking almost makes me throw up also. I'm not talking like if it's loaded with spices and stuff to cover the smell of the flesh, but like when someone is cooking without spices or many spices. My husband used to think I was weird but the smell has changed drastically for me. Well, now he's the same way. It really shocked him how much it bothers him. Our rescue chickens lay eggs and I scramble them and feed them to the dogs and back to the chickens and they flat out stink now to us too. He was outside one day when I was scrambling the weeks worth of eggs (I only scramble them all up once a week so we don't have to deal with the smell more often) and he came in and he didn't know what I was cooking and he was just like holy **** that ****ing stinks what are you doing? lol. When either of us go out to eat anymore if we don't go somewhere totally veg*n we try to go to places where it isn't going to stink like dead flesh. We've gone into a few places like that and we just can't eat or even stand the thought of eating something prepared in those places.

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
I have to cross the street usually if I have to walk near to a butcher shop. We have Halal meat butchers in my local area and they are so much more gory. It's disgusting to me.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Butcher shops creep me out. The meat section in the grocery store usually doesn't bother me, provided I just pass through it quicky. The times when I have been bothered are usually holidays when there are a lot of extra turkey's in the section. I don't like going anywhere near sea animals though..the smell makes me sick.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Yeah I have to walk past a butchers every morning, it's really not pretty. There's rabbits etc hanging in the window. Worst of all it SMELLS.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
I have a butcher shop about 150' from my front door. The smell can get bad when he starts piling up the hides in a trailer out back. The SOB almost got approved to put a small scale slaughter house (about 10 cattle/week) at the location last year... part of the good ol boy network with the mayor and city planner. Neighbors got wind of it and about had a riot at city hall. Between a bunch of unhappy people and litigation we will have no slaughter house at the location... still the butcher shop though.

·
Banned
1,189 Posts
Yes. The main reason I try to go to the store as little as possible. Before I ever went to a Wholefoods store, I assumed it would be just a much bigger version of just about any other HFS I ever went to, where the meat items are pretty minimal and not so much "on display". So I go into Wholefoods and at the end of the first isle, a big glass case with all kinds of meat on display. I hurried and got the first item on my list and got out of there. Shocked me to see that meat on display, 'cause I had seen somewhere before, that the local AR group held meetings in a room at that store, or something like that.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
In supermarkets I go to I note the location of it and avoid it, so I end up doing some really weird walking routes from aisle to aisle, especially the supermarkets where it is at the back, if I get to the end of an aisle I will turn around and walk back where i came as not to use the back aisle of the store.

Unfonutely at my wholefood style store the meat and the frozen vegetarian stuff is side by side, really annoying. They only have a limited amount of fridges there.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlainWinthrope View Post

The Shoprite near me always has poor sea critters out in boxes crawling around limply.
That makes me sad

The lobster tank makes me sad too. My son loves to go look at it, he has no idea. I don't have the heart to stop the cart to let him look at them anymore.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
It doesn't gross me out exactly, but it does sadden me. My local supermarket is massive, and when I pass all the aisles with animal products I just see all the lives lost so pointlessly. It's like a graveyard; I can't help but walk around and go 'one cow, two cows, three cows...' and so on. And then I think about all the supermarkets like this across the city, the country, the world. It's incredibly depressing. I try to do as much of my shopping as possible at the local greengrocer and the veg*n co-op store; it works out a little pricier, but it's better than getting upset every time I need to buy food.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts