VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Or something similar to this: "If all plant life was destroyed due to a [insert massive, worldwide disaster here] and all there was left to eat was meat, would you eat it or would you rather starve to death?" If so, what is usually your answer.

Personally, I get completely stumped and/or say, "I really wouldn't know" as I am more of an experience-is-the-best-teacher kind of person. Also, I've been asked this question by religious freaks and the disaster in question is always a flood.

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
That's so silly! If all the plants are gone how are there any other living things either? We wouldn't even have oxygen, let alone food.

Those kinds of questions aren't really serious, I'd probably just turn it around on them and ask them something even more ridiculous and unlikely. Like if all life were destroyed except for them and a bunch of human infants, would they eat baby meat? One absurd turn deserves another

·
Registered
44 Posts
If they're religious freaks as you say then remind them that the Bible says they Earth will never be totally destroyed by a flood again.

But I think Werewolf Girl has a good point with the asking them an absurd question, try "if all animals died, would you become a vegetarian or just starve?" Let them know that you know they're being a smart a$$. Either do that or ignore them, that usually shuts people up, as they just want to rile you up, confuses the heck outta them when you don't let it.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix Days View Post

I would just be like "that's never gonna happen"
Well, there's always an emphasis on the "if" whenever someone asks me. I could say, "That's never gonna happen" a million times but it would always go back to "Yeah, I'm sure it wouldn't but IF..."

·
Banned
3,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

That's so silly! If all the plants are gone how are there any other living things either? We wouldn't even have oxygen, let alone food.

Those kinds of questions aren't really serious, I'd probably just turn it around on them and ask them something even more ridiculous and unlikely. Like if all life were destroyed except for them and a bunch of human infants, would they eat baby meat? One absurd turn deserves another
That's a really good idea, if someone says this to me I'm going to use your response!

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond View Post

Well, there's always an emphasis on the "if" whenever someone asks me. I could say, "That's never gonna happen" a million times but it would always go back to "Yeah, I'm sure it wouldn't but IF..."
Then try asking another ridiculous question, like werewolf said.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey2 View Post

But I think Werewolf Girl has a good point with the asking them an absurd question, try "if all animals died, would you become a vegetarian or just starve?" Let them know that you know they're being a smart a$$. Either do that or ignore them, that usually shuts people up, as they just want to rile you up, confuses the heck outta them when you don't let it.
Hmmm.....

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix Days View Post

Then try asking another ridiculous question, like werewolf said.
Yeah, it's pretty fun to do

You could also point out how they are basically validating your stance for you with this hypothetical. Whenever people ask silly questions like this, whether it's about an apocalypse or being stranded on a desert island or whatever, the point is always the same. Would you eat meat if you needed it to survive. You could turn things around on them in another way by pointing that out and asking them why they eat meat now when there is no apocalypse or disaster forcing them to kill animals to live.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Yeah, it's pretty fun to do

You could also point out how they are basically validating your stance for you with this hypothetical. Whenever people ask silly questions like this, whether it's about an apocalypse or being stranded on a desert island or whatever, the point is always the same. Would you eat meat if you needed it to survive. You could turn things around on them in another way by pointing that out and asking them why they eat meat now when there is no apocalypse or disaster forcing them to kill animals to live.
Ooooh!
That point might strike a nerve! I love it!

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
You can also point out that if all the plants died then the animals would die too because there wouldn't be any plant matter to feed to them to keep them alive so we could kill and eat them.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Quote:

I'd probably just turn it around on them and ask them something even more ridiculous and unlikely. Like if all life were destroyed except for them and a bunch of human infants, would they eat baby meat? One absurd turn deserves another
Love it!!

·
Banned
2,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond View Post

Or something similar to this: "If all plant life was destroyed due to a [insert massive, worldwide disaster here] and all there was left to eat was meat, would you eat it or would you rather starve to death?" If so, what is usually your answer.
Brain too tired to think of words now ..

The general thought that springs to mind is that difference twix veggies and omnies is that we might have do wrong if there is no choice at all. They simply choose to do wrong when a myriad abundance of alternatives to doing wrong actualy exist.

·
Registered
27 Posts
You should say "of course, and you'll be my first meal!".

·
Registered
29 Posts
Pointless.

If all plant life was destroyed, animals would die out in a week or two for they would have nothing to eat.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I call it the island question. Because it's usually, if you were stuck out on an island with no food and edible plants or not enough for you to survive alone, would you atempt to kill animals for survival?
People like to put you on this hypotethical island to make sure you answer that yes I will kill animal for survival, hence "Well I need meat to survive, so Imma kill my dinner". Except you know, it's absurd. My responce? If you were on that same island with another guy, you had eaten all the steaks and chicken nuggets that roamed free in the forrest, you were starving and you had a knife, would you kill him for survival?"

it makes them uncomfortable and either way what they respond in my experience it's either "thats different" "no it's not, I value animal life as much as human life" "would you chose a cow over a human" "would you chose a stranger over your friend?"

or "no, I would starve rather than eat human flesh" "then you feel what many vegetarians do"

·
3,936 Posts
a question like that is an insult to all the people around the world who are put in very difficult situation just in order to survive......."oh 'we' have all the food, and choices, we need, but what if we didn't?...", well there are people who do have to make difficult decisions, every day....so I suppose you could point that out to anyone smug enough to ask this question.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Oh, the 'stuck on an island' thing. I like this question. It usually throws them when I shrug and say, "It doesn't matter. It's a desert island right? I'd die of exposure before I'd starve, so there's really no need to worry about the steak."

·
Registered
92 Posts
I get this question in the desert island variety, and I say that if it was between me and the animal I would eat the animal, just because I know they will keep tweaking the question until they get that answer.

ie.
"I would die of exposure first,"
"wellll, if you had shelter."
"Then I would die of thirst."
"Okay, well if there was water but no food."
"If there was water, why wouldn't there be plant life?"
Then of course the desperate epic logic of, "It's a HYPOTHETICAL question!"

>:\\

1 - 20 of 26 Posts