VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after reading many threads on VB it seems to go either way. thankfully i have 100% support from my parents on whatever type of lifestyle i went on. ive been a vegetarian since july 21 2006 and am going to switch to being a vegan tommorow.

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
My parents support me to a certain extent. My dad makes meat jokes around me (not often and he's not trying to be mean like my siblings). Thank goodness I'm old enough to make my own decision and prepare my own food. My siblings were the hardest on me, that is until I dropped 15 pounds. They can still make very stupid jokes around me, but they don't put down what I do and who I am.

My Mom kept stressing to me at the beginning (back in 2004) that she wouldn't cook anything special for me. I was 18 and the time and since when does my mom cook? *haha* Luckily, I was strong and ignored their mean comments. I will never go back.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
My mum at first didnt support me being veggie at all.

I wanted to stop eating meat when i was about 10 and she got her way til i was 16. Then i went on hunger strike and that was that! immature but heh it worked. my sister thought i was stupid too and kept going on about how much healthier meat dishes look.

Im 20 now and she reads labels and all that when food shopping. I still have to cook my own food though, rarely does she make food that doesnt contain some kind of corpse. and my sisters a "vegetarian" (she eats fish)

then i said i was going vegan and im rather suprised mum didnt complain, she said she expected me to sooner or later. and went vegan cheese shopping with me just after i came home from uni!

shes still in the "a little bit wont hurt" frame of mind though. my sister thinks im stupid (again) so give it a few years i bet she'll be vegan too hehe. already every time i make something with tofu in it (which she used to insist on hating) i turn around and she'll have eaten half of it =(

rambleeeee

ps. oh, as for my dad. he doesnt care. never questioned anything. actually i dont think he knows im vegan. lets see when he notices!

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Congrats on going vegan Pirate Ferret and I guess I'll see you over in the vegan forum tomorrow, veg*nrunner.

I didn't become veg*n until I was in my early twenties but if I had I don't think either of my parents would've had a problem with it. My mom is now vegetarian.

·
Registered
141 Posts
My parents have always supported me in my vegetarianism (although I started at 9, so they must have thought it was a phase!), it was never a big deal because I'm not picky and growing up I would just eat side dishes. When I started becoming interested in cooking it was even better, because I would cook for myself often and sometimes for the family. I'm not interested in converting them and they are big meat eaters, but we can compromise on things like black bean enchiladas and they are just happy to have someone cook.

They are NOT, however, accepting of veganism.. which is what I am now leaning towards. I've had to do the vegan-while-at-college but eat butter/cheese if it is in something while I am at home. They act like the vegetarianism was fine but veganism is "extreme" and my mom rolls her eyes at me and gets annoyed when I won't eat something seemingly unrelated to meat with gelatin/carmine/etc in it. It's a bit rough. :/

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
My parents supported me going veg

(at 20 yrs old), but both don't like it when I cut out eggs and dairy. They think that makes it a little too restrictive, although they do respect my choices. My dad makes meat jokes sometimes, but he's also the first one to check if a restaurant has suitable options, and he cooks wicked tofu.

Having my two cousins become vegetarians a few years before me cut out all the questions. I never heard anything like 'where do you get your <insert nutrient here>' questions, even from my grandparents.

·
Registered
0 Posts
My parents were somewhat okay with me being a vegetarian but always told me that some fish would not hurt (ewww). I turned vegan almost a year ago and I visited my family last summer and my veganism was a big problem for them, especially for my mother.

My father: I made some bread. Do you want some?

Me: Is there dairy in it?

My mom and dad: No.

Me again: Dad, I know that you sometimes put butter milk into the bread, so are you sure that there is no dairy in it?

My mom again: There is no dairy in it.

Me: I won't eat it, I do not believe you....

An hour later my dad confesses that he put butter milk into the bread. I am still pretty upset about my parents lying to me and I would not trust them ever again when it comes to food.

They also have a problem with me not buying leather shoes and such because leather is a "by-product" of the meat industry and the animals are not especially killed for it. Bull****. I tried to explain to my mom that cows from India are being killed for the leather but she just does not believe me. She also believes that I gonna get really unhealthy because I stopped eating dairy (showing her any studies that prove that dairy is bad for your health don't work either... she believes what she wants to believe and I am just wrong).

·
Registered
55 Posts
After I had moved away from home, they started to support me more. My mom brings me rice milk, home-grown vegetables (they`re organic, too), cashew nuts, oat cream etc. she knows I like to eat/use. And it`s not that I couldn`t afford them on my own

Before Christmas she even prepared me some potato casserole which would have been too difficult for me to make (preparing it properly takes hours or even days) and left out the cow part (milk and butter), which she wouldn`t even think about some years ago.

·
Registered
976 Posts
NovaScotia They also have a problem with me not buying leather shoes and such because leather is a "by-product" of the meat industry and the animals are not especially killed for it. Bull****. I tried to explain to my mom that cows from India are being killed for the leather but she just does not believe me. She also believes that I gonna get really unhealthy because I stopped eating dairy (showing her any studies that prove that dairy is bad for your health don't work either... she believes what she wants to believe and I am just wrong).[/QUOTE said:
My mother and father thinks the same.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy View Post

My parents supported me going veg

(at 20 yrs old), but both don't like it when I cut out eggs and dairy. They think that makes it a little too restrictive, although they do respect my choices.
My mother and father are the same.

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
my mum didn't like it when I first became pescatarian. In fact, it was her who persuaded me to be pescatarian and not lacto-ovo. I was twelve.

I didn't go lacto-ovo until after she died. My dad always supported my decision to be vegetarian. He used to be vegetarian at some point in his youth, and refers to it as his 'stupid hippy natural foods phase'. I think he actually respect me in that he can see more commitment in me than he had, considering how he has NEVER reffered to MY vegetarianism as a phase.

He didn't really like the idea of me being vegan and for a while his persuasion worked. But when I finally decided I was going to do it anyway, he supported me. He cooks for me sometimes and never tries to 'trick' me. He rarely eats meat in the house though he eats a lot of dairy products. He has grudgingly accepted that I 'seem to know what [I'm] doing' wrt getting nutrients and stuff. Over all, he's good.

·
Registered
385 Posts
My parents are ok with it, as long as I make the food for myself. They don't really know how to put together a healthy meal anyways. My dad's girlfriend has trouble having him eat 1 vegetable side a day.

My mom tries though. She bought me soy milk and tofu! She is sweet and supports me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well, I gave up red meat and pork when I was fourteen, and my mother was totally not happy at all. The staple dinner around our house was chopmeat and macaroni elbows in tomato sauce, so she was not happy that I was no longer eating red meat. Then, I went completely veg about a year and a half ago (but I still eat dairy and eggs). When my husband and I were down visiting my parents in Texas last Christmas, my mother wanted to make hoppin' johns for dinner one night. I asked her to please make it with veggie broth and soy "sausage" instead of kielbasa, and I even bought the ingredients myself. Well, she completely hit the roof and kept
complaining to me that it wasn't going to taste "right" with the veggie broth and soy sausage, even though she wasn't going to eat any of it herself!!!!!! (She has food "allergies" coupled with some mental illness and won't eat anything other than stew beef, frozen broccoli, and carrot baby food. So she's a good one to talk about diet, right???) So, I guess my answer would have to be, no, my parents don't support me being a veg... >SIGH<

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
if it matters to anyone, go tell your parents to go read a book called "the china study" it basically proves that a plant based diet is healthier then consuming animal fat/protein. im only 100 pages in(400 page book) and my mom is already thinking of going vegan cuz of it

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanBeads View Post

Well, I gave up red meat and pork when I was fourteen, and my mother was totally not happy at all. The staple dinner around our house was chopmeat and macaroni elbows in tomato sauce, so she was not happy that I was no longer eating red meat. Then, I went completely veg about a year and a half ago (but I still eat dairy and eggs). When my husband and I were down visiting my parents in Texas last Christmas, my mother wanted to make hoppin' johns for dinner one night. I asked her to please make it with veggie broth and soy "sausage" instead of kielbasa, and I even bought the ingredients myself. Well, she completely hit the roof and kept
complaining to me that it wasn't going to taste "right" with the veggie broth and soy sausage, even though she wasn't going to eat any of it herself!!!!!! (She has food "allergies" coupled with some mental illness and won't eat anything other than stew beef, frozen broccoli, and carrot baby food. So she's a good one to talk about diet, right???) So, I guess my answer would have to be, no, my parents don't support me being a veg... >SIGH<
my family used to think the same thing about food "not tasting right". then i made them some vegan lasagna and now they are begging me to make it again

·
Registered
800 Posts
My parents weren't happy at all when I went vegetarian at 15. They kept putting meat in front of me and making a huge fuss when I wouldn't eat it, and my dad was convinced we'd had a talk from the vegetarian society at school (yeah right, in a rural school full of farmers' kids) and that I couldn't have possibly made the decision based on my own reasoning. They would have made me be pescetarian, except for the fact I never ate fish anyway because I didn't like it.

They've been really good since I went vegan last year, though. Probably helps that I'm older now and don't live with them. My mum was a bit concerned about nutrients and stuff (in that way that mothers often are) but once I'd spouted enough nutrition facts at her she seemed satisfied that I'm not going to die of malnutrition and says "well, you look healthy enough...". They cook vegan food for me whenever I go to visit, and now they only eat meat about once a week (big reduction) and started using soya milk and vegan margarine sometimes, so it seems like I've managed to educate them a bit at least.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts