VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I never would have thought of starting a thread asking you guys this, but a conversation in the Fun & Games section made me want to do this, because it seems some of you don't actually want the whole world (sticking with just people here, folks) to be vegan, or you don't care either way.

I'm just wondering how common this view is, and I'm wondering how someone who is vegan due to a belief in animal rights (which perhaps some of you aren't) can feel that way. As someone who takes AR very seriously, I'm very much bothered by animal exploitation, and so for me, of course I want this exploitation to end, and the only way that can happen is if everyone goes vegan. If you consider yourself a vegan and yet don't feel this way, I'd like to understand why.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberlily1983 View Post

Okay, I never would have thought of starting a thread asking you guys this, but a conversation in the Fun & Games section made me want to do this, because it seems some of you don't actually want the whole world (sticking with just people here, folks) to be vegan, or you don't care either way.

I'm just wondering how common this view is, and I'm wondering how someone who is vegan due to a belief in animal rights (which perhaps some of you aren't) can feel that way. As someone who takes AR very seriously, I'm very much bothered by animal exploitation, and so for me, of course I want this exploitation to end, and the only way that can happen is if everyone goes vegan. If you consider yourself a vegan and yet don't feel this way, I'd like to understand why.
I take AR very seriously too, and I would be THRILLED if the whole world went vegan.

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
I'd love it if the whole world went vegan, but that's going to take a loooooooong time.

Even when humanity evolves to the point where 90% of people no longer consume animal products and think it's immoral we're still probably going to have isolated tribes of people catching fish or raising goats somewhere, or perhaps keeping backyard chickens or honeybees or something.

There are some arid regions on the planet where people can't grow much and depend on grazing animals for food at the moment, so they'd have to move or get produce shipped to them or something. The way the entire world is structured and how people live in all these different countries would have to be completely changed and reorganized, which certainly could happen over a long enough timeline if we don't blow ourselves up first.

All humans going vegan would be a MASSIVE feat, but it could happen eventually. It's certainly worth working towards!

·
Registered
824 Posts
Yes. The world should go vegan without a doubt.

·
3,936 Posts
it would be great, but even from a selfish point of view, there would be more variety of vegan foods, more research into vegan foods, like vegan cheese.....it would be nice if everything at Tescos(etc) was vegan...not good for my weight though.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
To a close approximation, yes. I can't say if, if the whole world had the same type of animal-rights related veiws as me, every single non-vegan thing would be unethical, and I would only want those people who COULD be vegan healthily to be vegan - which is the large majority but if there are a small amount of people with complex medical conditions, or restrictions due to the type of environment they live in, really truely couldn't be vegan - I wouldn't want them to the detriment of their health. But anyway to a close approximation I'd want the whole world to be vegan

·
Vegan Very Metal
774 Posts
Of course the world should become vegan. I would love everybody to become green as well, but I am probably in a minority of one with that view, certainly on this board anyway.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
A true vegan world can only be created by being massive globalist, fascist pricks.

Or magic.

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
Ok i guess Im in the minority, but Im totally used to that so:

I do not want the world to go vegan, first of all it is incredibly impractical and simply not going to happen.
Secondly, there are thousands of jobs that are not vegan that we need people to do, so how can these jobs get done if everyone was vegan?
Third, it is not healthy for everyone to eat a vegan diet because healthy food sources are not available to many people due to region, economy, and poverty.

If we are being idealistic, I would rather people diminish their consumption and meat and animal by-products become very expensive. These are not everyday foods as people eat them now, they should be sometimes foods for most people like meat on Sunday or something similar. This is the way many people have lived throughout history, eating animal products only when they were available and understanding fully the sacrifice it takes.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberlily1983 View Post

I'm with you. As someone that is vegan because I want to live my life in a way that eliminates as much unnecessary suffering as possible, of course I would be thrilled if the world went vegan! On a practical note, however, I realize that it will be a very, very (very) long time before that happens, if it ever happens at all. So, in the meantime, I'm all for anything that can be done to at least reduce suffering.

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvourmother View Post

Ok i guess Im in the minority, but Im totally used to that so:

I do not want the world to go vegan, first of all it is incredibly impractical and simply not going to happen.
Secondly, there are thousands of jobs that are not vegan that we need people to do, so how can these jobs get done if everyone was vegan?
Third, it is not healthy for everyone to eat a vegan diet because healthy food sources are not available to many people due to region, economy, and poverty.

If we are being idealistic, I would rather people diminish their consumption and meat and animal by-products become very expensive. These are not everyday foods as people eat them now, they should be sometimes foods for most people like meat on Sunday or something similar. This is the way many people have lived throughout history, eating animal products only when they were available and understanding fully the sacrifice it takes.
But will the world and where people live and the way we get food be the same 100 years from now? 500? 1000?

I agree about the impracticality at the moment, but I like to think it's possible far far away in the future.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Yes. This is what I believe is the future of humanity, as written in the book of Isaiah and Genesis 2.

·
Registered
25,067 Posts
I want the world to become structured in such a way -- in terms of cultural norms, economy and technology -- that there can and will be worldwide veganism.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.