VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would look good on a college application? I think it makes me stand out, and that I did it to make a difference. Not sure though. Anyone know?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Agreed. If you use veganism not to say you're a "good person" but rather that you look into the consequences of your actions, refuse to follow the path less traveled, stand up for your ideals, etc etc you could probably work it into an essay.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
I'd use it as an example of my critical thinking skills. You examined the world and the home town values you grew up with and decided to stream line your lifestyle to fit what you think is a more thoughtful and aware lifestyle. I think if you could find a wordier and more eloquent way to express that sentiment that an educator could respect it.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I think it would only be of benefit if you mentioned it in conjunction with some related volunteer/community outreach service that you have done. Otherwise I think it would seem like you were reaching for something to set you apart and you never know the personal attitudes of the people reading your app.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
No! I purposefully avoided putting anything about animal rights, veganism or association/volenteering for animal rights based charities. I think veganism/AR is seem as extreem by a lot of people, and I figure universites probally want to keep extreemism out of them, and considering most people aren't AR sympathetic - people who work in admissions are only human and will let their own veiws of AR/veganism colour their perception of you.

Most universities (I'm not sure the correlation between UK/US systems but I figure it's similar) conduct animal testing - and I know some universtities like Oxford are cautious about people who may be animal-rights related terrorists being able to get in. I knew someone who worked in admissions who admitted it was something they looked at and advised me not to put anything about animal rights on my application.

In reality, it probally didn't make any difference. I'm not even sure how much they read personal statments/etc! But I figured better safe than sorry, I steared away from anything controversial and talked about my involvement with human-based volenteering and charities instead.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Identity_thief View Post

No! I purposefully avoided putting anything about animal rights, veganism or association/volenteering for animal rights based charities. I think veganism/AR is seem as extreem by a lot of people, and I figure universites probally want to keep extreemism out of them, and considering most people aren't AR sympathetic - people who work in admissions are only human and will let their own veiws of AR/veganism colour their perception of you.

Most universities (I'm not sure the correlation between UK/US systems but I figure it's similar) conduct animal testing - and I know some universtities like Oxford are cautious about people who may be animal-rights related terrorists being able to get in. I knew someone who worked in admissions who admitted it was something they looked at and advised me not to put anything about animal rights on my application.

In reality, it probally didn't make any difference. I'm not even sure how much they read personal statments/etc! But I figured better safe than sorry, I steared away from anything controversial and talked about my involvement with human-based volenteering and charities instead.
Thanks. I forgot about the testing on animals, and the reputations of vegans, sadly, isn't the greatest.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I doubt it, considering the people reading your app are probably omnivores. (Most) omnivores don't see veganism as this great thing we do to make a difference, they just think we are extremist weirdos.

·
Riot Nrrrd
3,180 Posts
Generally it is considered better to NOT make reference to anything that could be seen as controversial. Even things that are relatively mainstream. Say you volunteered with the State Young Republicans League or Junior Democrats. Even that should be left off unless referred to generically, like 'volunteered with non-profit organization".

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Identity_thief View Post

This.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Yeah, I would leave it off. I don't really see being vegan as a big accomplishment in itself. Yes, it's important, but it's more of an everyday, making a difference in a small way sort of thing. I would be concerned that even if someone reading your application doesn't have a negative view of veganism, their response will be, "So what? Big deal."

If you have volunteered for an animal shelter or something along those lines, I'd say that is pretty safe.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts