Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just wondering, because notably fewer vegetarians than meat eaters are smokers. We generally are more health conscious than omnis.

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
I'm a little curious as to why somebody would avoid smoking for reasons other than for health.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I used to smoke in my younger days and my husband just quit about 11 months ago. I find it repulsing to see people smoking now. Oprah had a show yesterday about how people associate smokers with being lower class.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

I'm a little curious as to why somebody would avoid smoking for reasons other than for health.
Because they don't like the smell? Or maybe they cannot afford it?

·
Registered
548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

Its extremely expensive, it makes your teeth yellow, it makes your clothes and hair smell, just to name a few.

I used to smoke and have pretty much entirely quit within the past few months. I smoked a lot with drinking/socially but never let myself smoke every day. I dont see how people let themselves, every time I smoked I could feel the poisons in my body for days.

Since quitting my skin looks better, my gums seem healthier, and when I got sick this winter my cough/throat got better within about a week, and I used to have HORRIBLE bronchitis that lasted for months sometimes, every time I got a cold or the flu.

Quit smoking!

·
Registered
927 Posts
I voted no for health reasons, but frankly I just don't like cigarette smoke and have never even been tempted by it. My dad was a chain smoker, and I just thought all that stuff in the air, the coughing, and the dirty ash trays were just gross.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
<<votes no because it's icky and gross

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For those of you who have quit smoking, how difficult was it? As a person who has never smoked, I can't understand how hard it can be to quit.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
I voted no for other, since I mostly don't smoke because I think it's disgusting. Even if it was considered neutral to smoke, as opposed to really bad for you, I still wouldn't do it.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I voted no for other reasons. I quit as a wedding gift two.5 years ago. I probably would have quit eventually, but I dont think it that time would have arrived yet had I not gotten married.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've never smoked. I had severe asthma as a child from being raised around second-hand smoke. I'm also terribly allergic to cigarette smoke. I have terrible reactions when I am around smoke, even for only 5 minutes. My face starts to flush, my throat gets stratchy, lips become dry and I get a horrible headache. As a teenager, I made the personal decision to avoid smoke as much as possible & most of my symptoms subsided.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I put no - other. Ignoring the fact that I can't smoke legally anyway, I think it's one of the most disgusting habits. Both my parents smoke, and its so controlling. Also, I think it is inconsiderate to others (they smoke in the house), and when people smoke in front of me while walking (especially in crowded places) its annoying. It makes you smell horrible, teeth become gross. I suppose the health part and grossness part are close, but sometimes its hard to realize the health one, but you can't really miss the grosness factor. Not to mention how expensive they are (and they should be more expensive) it would encourage more people to quit maybe. $100 a pack sounds good. (;

·
Registered
5,982 Posts
No (for other reasons): It's unhealthy, gross, smelly, expensive, and just lame. It's also inconvenient since it's illegal to smoke in public buildings and restaurants where I live.

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
I smoked like a Plymouth (right at 2 packs/day) for 15 years. When I turned 30, I stopped cold turkey and haven't touched one of the nasty things in over 3 years since.

And I never ever plan on going back.

·
Registered
8,489 Posts
I did one of those Bill Clinton numbers once when I was a teenager, but that was it.

I don't smoke because it's unhealthy, disgusting, stinky, ruins your clothes/walls/furniture, cancer runs in the family, the expense, yellow teeth.... on and on.

·
Registered
25,067 Posts
No, for other reasons: I'm already the coolest cat in the yard, I don't need smoking for that.

·
Banned
1,524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snownose View Post

... notably fewer vegetarians than meat eaters are smokers...
I'm curious where you get this from. I've often reflected on the irony that among the smokers I know, vegetarians and vegans are way OVERrepresented.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I put no for health reasons. I use to smoke in high school and in my early 20's but I stopped after seeing my grandfather got sick because of all the years he smoked. He coughed up blood, was on oxygen, half a lung left and eventually got cancer and he still ask for a cig. I didn't want to turn out like that so I quit and whenever I think of smoking just 1 more I think of my grandfather.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts